Triton 36 build - Finished

:smiley:

when I was into PCs and cars it was even worse as there was infinite kit at all price ranges, that kept me poor, unicycles are comparitively cheap :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you get the Triton with a super wide/super high crown?

It would be a nice way to run a 29 x 3 Oracle wheel and a 26" Oracle 26 x 4" on the same frame. But you may want to ask if they have a different way of pinishing the legs or you may get tired of smacking your knees on the legs.

The Oregon frame; yes it’s plain ole steel, is a great design because they is nothing to hit your knees on, nice and round and out of the way.

Lots of unis, so little time.

So it’s official, I am no longer running long cranks. I’m afraind that the love is gone, I’m just tired of pedaling in a box, so it’s 150’s on the 29er and 36er. It may not last, esp once the trails dry out, but so far it’s making me happy, less slippage from over torquing and the flow is better.

Oh, and my 24" came home from being on long term loan, so maybe now I can start playing around in the yard :slight_smile:

Yes they do a wider Uni crown and a normal xc/road one, as my leg issues are with the height of the 36 crown I hope that the wider 29er would be ok, but I think saskatchewanian had one and had knee knocking issues but his was very high crown to fit a small 36er in it

The 165mm is very boxey but I have a way to go before I can manage 150s on th 36er, I have settled with 145mm on my 29er as although the 137s were very fast I was having to stand a lot on the hills which sapped my energy, the 145s spin about the same offroad but I can stay seated for 90% of hills now so am faster overal

But I here you on the too many Unis too little time :frowning:

Here is the difference between the 29" Triton frames

triton_29er.jpg

Do you think the folks at Triton would consider building a hoop/round crown or a twin hoop design? If you talk to them; which I’m sure you will, see what they think about a cuztom frame design, cuz I’d pay for an Oregon frame in Ti.

I think the 150’s on the 29er are a lot more reasonable than the 150’s on the 36er, but I’m willing to tolerate the lower power on the 36er for the 10% of the time I need 165’s, in order to have improved ride flow the rest of the time.

Not sure why now, but lately, for some reason I have been feeling more like I’m pedaling in a box on long cranks. I suppose it could be that I’m riding faster…

But for sure, 150’s on the 36er are about short as I can go for muni, otherwise I’d be walking way too much. I rode the 29er with 150’s yesterday after having been riding the 36er with 150’s, so it did not feel like it was a big change, and the ride went well, didn’t really miss the extra leverage of the 165’s.

I did an all day epic ride on some unexplored single track on the Pinhoti last Fall, twenty miles over six plus hours, all done on my 29er with 165’s. By the end of the ride I was way more tired than I felt was right, in part I think the cranks may have caused me to work harder than necessary…

So more walking, better spinning, more endurance?

Eric had a custom Triton built to fit a 29x3.4 frankentire and a 26x4 fat wheel: Triton Titan frame review - #41 by saskatchewanian

He has mentioned crown issues: Triton Titan frame review - #60 by saskatchewanian

Given that Eric’s frame is sized for really fat 29" tires, I’m guessing you could probably have Triton lower/narrow the crown a bit to allow a 29x3 max and avoid issues with the crown width.

I am sure Dmitry would be happy to have a chat about it, I wonder whether they have access to such small diameter Ti tubing though? Also they have a pretty solid frame design that they effectively tweak so designing an Oregon frame style may be a bit of a job with the possibility of a compromised frame at the end of it due to it being untested etc?

I initially had 170mm cranks on my 29er and it was so slow and I felt my legs having to move a massive amount, dropping to 145mm I gained speed and felt like I had worked less despite the climbs being harder. I get a similar feeling on the 36" with 165mm cranks that I have to move my legs a lot but the massive wheel makes up for the loss in spin speed, and at the moment the hills require the longer cranks but I think I will end up with he 150s as well once I have gotten “36 fit” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m thinking about building one of these. Have you got all the bugs out and are you happy with it?? Have you tried the KH, how does it compare? Also, I noticed you have a single bolt seat clamp, I was told it needs a double.