Triton 36 build - Finished

Feisty, how did you get started building wheels? Is this a skill you had prior to unicycling or something you just started doing? BTW, love the Triton!!!

Cheers.

I just followed sheldon browns wheel build guide the first few times using a ruler elastic banded across the fork legs as a truing guide. I have built 6 wheels now and the have all held up fine. My 19" and 24" wheels take my clumsy arse landing hard from 4+ feet

It isn’t rocket science if you take your time and be methodical :slight_smile:

The difference between boys and men is the price of their toys. :wink:

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Great fun to follow your threads.

:stuck_out_tongue:

It is nice to be able to afford nice things, I remember lusting after Titanium MTB frames when I was a teenager, although I am sure I had more fun back then on the cheaper bikes :slight_smile:

I agree, Feisty has provided some good entertainment here with his obsessing over every possible part selection & acquisition. While I do enjoy ‘custom’ things, I took the easy route and just ordered my KH36.

Right 24.6 miles under my belt!

Mounting is still really easy (easier than my 29er) the only tough thing I found is you have a small window of opportunity to correct a mistake or jolt etc having a higher center of gravity and a big wheel which is slower to react. This is something I will get used to and wasn’t much of an issue by the end of the ride, I found that I was hoping the big wheel back under me more when on the 29er I could have just steered and leaned it back

Hills were a strange result, the flywheel effect of the big wheel meant if I could keep momentum the 36er flew up small and medium grade hills and was faster than my 29er, on the steeper stuff my length strength was coping ok but I was burning through more energy and being out of breath/energy at the top or having jelly legs causing an error creating a UPD. Standing up was a bit of a challenge on the hills as I couldn’t slog as hard side to side but got more adept at it as I got used the the 36er

The big wheel ate rough terrain and the annoying bumpy grass with horse hoof prints that kills momentum on a 29er was barely even noticeable on the 36er, the 36er just loves bump grass.

The walt works tyre was flawless and gripped on everything and even let me plough through foot deep mud.

I got good speed although the 165mm cranks are spot on for the moment they are slow and box like, especially on the road and down hills.

I am very happy with it and my only issues with when I will ever ride my 29er again :smiley:

Video flying down a steep slippy rooty hill and running out of trial / traction, dodged one barbed wire fence only to almost fall on a second one

Hill Video

This was some serious mud plugging, in places this was foot deep, and only a pedal strike meant I didn’t get all the way through, “The Todd” Tyre rules!

Mud Video

Some pics of the mud

mud_small.JPG

fort smal.JPG

OMG, you took that beautiful machine through the mud?!?!? :astonished: If she were mine, I think I’d rest her on a velvet pillow and gaze at her for days, only occasionally allowing her to roll at a modest pace down well-cleaned boulevards when the sun was shining and traffic was low. Srsly, VERY nice looking ride! Congrats.

I see you have slightly better weather conditions than when you took me up there… you are standing up straight!

A steady 7mph wind and drizzle so bearable, hell I think that qualifies for excellent weather after the recent stuff we have endured :stuck_out_tongue:

I did a 12.3 mile road ride yesterday with the cranks at 137mm and tyre at 30 psi and she flew, I was averaging 12-12.8 mph in the pitch black (was a cycle path so only used my little lights) so I had to hold back a fair bit as I couldn’t see the ninja dog walks on the cycle path, I hit 14.8 mph at one point on the flat :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to doing another road ride in the daylight so I can really stretch her legs, the feeling of buttery smooth speed is amazing and addictive, the feeling of the air rushing past you and stationary objects whipping past you is awesome, and overtaking cyclist is nice and rewarding. Unfortunately I am left wondering what a schlumpf 36 triton is like :smiley:

for you next ride put on some sensible size cranks. 100’s :slight_smile:

So where can I find those disc mount 100mm cranks then Rog :thinking: come on know your products :stuck_out_tongue:

I am sure having built 6 Unis almost totally from your shop I have earnt a free set of short spirit cranks maybe some 127/150mm would be a good compromise but I will leave it up to you to decide which you want to send me :stuck_out_tongue:

So you do actually ride. I’ve been wondering for a while if you only build fancy unis to take pictures of them :slight_smile:

I kind of got the same impression:p
God that mud looks horrendous, now I see why you go through bearings so fast.

:stuck_out_tongue: cheeky

Not bad for an oldish git on his first 36er ride :wink:

I only talk and build Uni cycles so much as with a young family I only get to ride once a week so need to get my fix via other means :slight_smile: I haven’t had much saddle time maybe only 160 hours tops

You didn’t look like an old git to me. You were quite young and spritely I thought… or was that just the rain that made you look like that.

Roger

And you didn’t look your 69 years either!

I swell up in the rain so it stretches out my wrinkles :stuck_out_tongue:

Oldish is relative, next to all the teens showing everyone up on here I am pretty ancient, I think it is also having kids that make you feel old, I think I say you gain a few year in the few minutes you were mobbed by my little monsters

So that means you’ve gotten a new unicycle on average after every 27 hours of unicycling.

lol a record perhaps

my first kh24 lasted a few months then I got a kh26 with an oracle hub which was great and lasted 4 months then I added a kn19 trials to learn jumping on to help my muni,that was totaly rebuilt bar the frame to be lighter so almost a 7th uni. The kh26 was rebuilt with anew rim tyre frame as a 29er as I wanted more speed, I missed the urban riding on a 24" so I built my Impact Gravity muni / big street rude which negated the need for my 19" trials so I sold that and finaly I built the 36er for road snd xc riding

phew :stuck_out_tongue:

The next project is tritoning my 29er maybe with a custom 32h mad4one disc hub rabbit hole rim and knard tyre. The Triton comes in a wider crown version so would have the room. But I need to see how often I ride my 29er now I have my 36er :slight_smile:

This year will see me putting in lots more hours in the evening once the kids have gone to bed and doing some riding in mainland Europe so I might start seeing who is a about that I can hook up with over there :slight_smile:

Actually I think I am talking crap I do at least 4 hours at the weekend with the odd week night ride and I did lots of trials in the summer evenings as well as my 12 mins of work commute a day so maybe 200-250 hours

Still a low hour to unicycle ratio :stuck_out_tongue:

Gear freak :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: