Trials uni...

Don’t forget spokes cost money too, unless you’re lucky and are changing to a hub which is the same size or pretty close to the original one.

Joe

Oh yeah. I forgot about spokes!! :roll_eyes:

I justed used the ones from my old wheel.

How much to spokes cost anyways?

Joe,

when i had my wheel built by uni.com i think spokes were 40p each, that was for the heavy duty thick ones (i know nothing technical about spokes)
yeah you did pm me joe, thanks well you did earlia this week anyway, its the one i replied too.
i was also thinking of buliding myself a wheel, but im just going to build one for my ringmaster as i dont want to ruin expensive components with bad building skills ie. trials or muni wheelsets.
my local bike shop is stupid, the guy wont even true my uni rims because they wont fit in his jig, so thats a no to building one for me.

Arking,

Have you had a look at unicycles.com.au? You can get the following setup for $500 - $600 or so (it’s not pictured on the site)…

Alex DX32 19" rim
Monty trials tyre
Yuni style frame (I don’t know if it’s actually a Yuni but it’s at least similar)
KH hub and cranks
KH seat
Pedals of your choice

You can also chop and change bits from that setup…that’s just one I’d recommend if you want to get into trials.

But yeh, Gary is always willing to make semi-custom unis (as in put different bits and pieces together) so you should send him an email at info@unicycles.com.au . The other thing is the site is based in Brisbane so you wouldn’t have to pay much shipping.

I just thought I’d let you know.

There are some great trials riders living around and near Sydney who you might want to meet up with eventually. I’ll give you their email address, etc if you want and I’m sure they’d be happy to teach you some things.

Good luck,
Andrew

Hmm, I have had a look at the site before and havent really found anything in my price range. The “entry level trials” uni there is 400 and seems identical to one on sale at my local bike shop for 250 or so. I have some friends with the GP 20" Trials which is a very nice ride.
If there is a uni like you describe for 500/600 or so Id be very interested. I cant see anything like that on the site though. Are you sure that uni is available?

Arking

As I said, it’s not on the site. But yes, it is available. If you’re interested you could talk to Gary. His mobile phone number is 0421 353 107.

Andrew

Well, I would except that Bedford lives about a trillion miles away from me. My parents wouldn’t be too keen on letting me send my frame away to some stranger.
What kind of places locally do it? Are there special stores that just do powdercoating, or what?

Hey andrew… is that Yuni style frame of yours powder coated? And I’m just sought of wondering how much it costs, if I were able to buy it on it’s own?

Thanks man, this might be one less thing I have to pay $100 shipping on from America.

Cool cool, I think Ill send gary an email. Maybe we can work out some sort of deal. Thanks for the help andrew :slight_smile:

Arking

Robbie,

No, sorry, they’re not powder coated. They’re $79.00 separately and if you decide you want one and have it shipped with the seat and seatpost the postage will be $10 for it all.

Arking,

The setup I described with a Velo seat and nice pedals would be $550. If you have some parts sitting at home though Gary can just sell you bits of it, like minus the pedals or something.

Andrew

Honestlly I would say sending your frame to Darren is probably a better choice than finding a local shop that doesnt deal with uni or bike parts that might not know what they are doing. Bedford is just as much a all in one unicycle shop as unicycle.com is.

Drop him an email and see what he can do for you. And think about it you’ll be supporting the unicycle community while your at it.

Mike

Wow thanks alot andrew, I’m going to get that frame I think. It’s paying $150 less for something just as strong, it’s just not powder coated!

By buying things from unicycles.com.au I just lowered the price of my custom uni from $1400 to $1000. And I live in Western Australia, as far away from Brisbane as you can get still being in Australia and he’s knocked this much off the price.

So my advice: If you’re in Australia and want to buy anything for a uni, go to unicycles.com.au. I would get all their stuff, except I just wanted to have a wheelset that was a little stronger, that’s the only part unicycle.com is doing for me!

Thanks Robbie. :slight_smile: All of the unicycle distributors seem to be really honest and nice people…it’s great to see. I guess that’s just one of thew many things that makes unicycling great and unlike a lot of other sports/hobbies/passions.

By the way Robbie, if you’ve really got your heart set on having it powder coated, it’ll only cost you about $40 in your choice of colour from any old powder coating place. That’s how much it cost to have my muni frame powder coated in that beautiful yellow. :slight_smile:

That’s going to be a great uni…I expect to see plenty of photos of it when it’s all ready.

Andrew

Thanks andrew, I still have to save up to buy it, but you’ve been a great help bringing it down from $1400 to $1000, to think I could be paying that much extra? Stupid ey? The only thing I’ve settled for that is of lesser quality is the powder coating so he brought it down to $1040 then :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I’ll get it powder coated though, does powder coating strengthen the frame? Or the ‘near bomb proof finish’ is a near bomb proof finish for the colour, not the frame? If it strengthens the frame I might get it done. But I like it black.

Imagine this, black and yellow seat, black frame, rim and spokes, silver cranks and hub, and then yellow pedals. It’s gonna look like one sweet ride, and the beauty is it’s going to be a sweet, comfortable, strong ride.

Yes, it will be really nice. As far as I know powder coating doesn’t strengthen the frame at all but it’s not goign to need strengthening unless you plan on doing 6’ drops sitting down. :astonished:

Andrew

I don’t know if I’ll ever get up to 6’ drops… let alone sitting on the seat. I’m not sure anyone would do that though.

I should hope that noone would every do that. Although a lot of non-unicyclists actually think that we all do it. That gets to me a bit.

Andrew

Yeah, when people come up and ask to ride it and quit after their first attempt because they can’t do it and it’s ebarassing (usually all their friends are there) guys tend to try and make an excuse why they’re not gonna do it anymore.

Eg. “Nah I’m not doing that! I wanna be a father someday!”

Yes, I don’t like that comment.