Trials uni...

Bedford!
He did an awesome job on my trials.
Tommy

Bedford!
He did an awesome job on my trials.
Tommy

Yeah. I hear Bedford are good!

I got mine done at a local shotblasting.powdercoating company. Have a look in your telephone directory.

If they ask what it is what you want powdercoated, tell them it is just the front forks of a bike. They get confused if you tell them its a unicycle frame!

Joe,

I’ve had a look in my phone book recently for powder coaters- I’ve found several, but I don’t know how much it’ll cost and if they will collect and deliver my frame back as it’s so small an item- did you try this Joe, or just take it there yourself?

what are the advantages of powder coating your frame?

Near bomb-proof finish and loads of colors to choose from. And, it’s not chrome.
Tommy

I just took my frame down to them. It was just down the road.
I also got my bearing housings done on my Muni. i asked the guy if they was too small, he said they do small stuff than that!
I shouldnt cost too much to get done - depending on paint. My Trials frame cost £30 as it is a metalic paint, but my Muni only coat £20 (including the bearing housing)
Also, make sure that they will shotblast it before hand. they should do, but if they dont, it will not be as good if it is still chromed.
In the phone directory, also look under shotblasing, as most places do both, but will only put one advert in (like a picture advert saying what they do, with a picture of a man in what looks to be a spaceman suit - rather cool)

Customising, dude! It is the future! :stuck_out_tongue:
It just adds a bit of colour to your uni. It also lasts longer than just spraying it (well, it does for me. Some people have been rather successful with spray paints).

Joe,

Chrome was SO last year! :stuck_out_tongue:

It is really strong, yeah, but my trials is getting the odd chip in it. It is still in great condidtion - and looks used, rather than just a nice green unicycle! :smiley:

Joe

I was doing some research on having a frame powder coated recently and I got estimates from 75 USD and up to 175 USD for the odd colors like purple. The 75 USD quote was for the primary colors.

I am still looking

I groaned at these prices. The frame may just stay boring natural.:frowning:

I’d rather pay that kind of money for upgrading to lighter weight parts, than paint.

But, a trick ride’s nice.

i use stickers at the mo i have a “airwalk” one and a “n.o.s” one and a “specialzed” one i think much cheaper then powder coat.
Ben

For those of us in North America, you can’t beat the $23 that Bedford charges for great work on powder coating.
Tommy

teachndad, paint improves your performance much more than lighter parts! :stuck_out_tongue: Did you not know?

75 USD sucks, man! Did you tell them exactly what it was you wanted done?

I would shop around! It took me awhile to get some good quotes, but it turned out the cheepest was actually the closest.

I think you should give Bedford a try if you want it done!
GO FOR IT!!!

Joe,

Well, Ive done a bit more research and Im thinking of buying a uni for sale in a local store and working from there. The uni is a nimbus frame with a trials rim and tire. The hub is non-splined and the cranks are standard.

From there Im going to get the bike shop to whack some nice pedals on it, order a KH seat and then upgrade the hub and or cranks later on. Considering I havent bent my current standard road uni doing 2 foot drops I think this one should stand up for a while.

Strangely the only thing Ive broken so far is my seat post, which Ive bent twice. Both time it was from bad bails where my thingh landed on the seat with all my weight. Anyone else bent a seatpost doing drops like this?

Arking

I had a similar dilemma to this when i was planning to buy my first MUni. I was first planning to get the nimbus and upgrade as needed. Then i realized I should get what i really wanted and something I’d use forever so i was going to pick between the onza and the KH24. Then I somehow ended up with a GB4 frame / profile wheel / Airseat - set up on my Muni. Which is about equal to the KH pro series except better stronger, with an airseat, and hundreds of dollars cheaper. But I love it and event hough i spent a lot of money I am very very pleased with my purchase and wouldnt take it back for the world. Unless the world contained another identical MUni. So my advice, Go big or dont go at all.

Good advice fluffinator!

Arking, I have bent a couple of seatposts, but my seatposts are now shorter than they used to be, so it dont happen so often.

Joe,

Rod

For 75.00 US you can get a whole new frame powder coated any colour you want from Bedford Unicycles.

info@bedfordunicycles.ca

Darren

joe, did you say you got your trials uni’s hub changed gor a splined version, like having the tapered hub removed and havin the wheel rebuilt?, how much did that cost youin total?
i wish id just continued saving when i purchased my wheel in the summer, should have the got the onza hub asweel rather than just settling for the suzue.

I heard Ryan Atkins mutter something about bending his seatpost after one of his drops on U2…

Im interested to know how much it costs to have a wheel redone with a new hub too…anyone have any idea what itd cost, and wether a local bike shop could do it? or could you do it yourself?

Arking

Tom, did I PM you? I cant remember!

Arking, it will cost the price of the new hub, and however much the wheel building will cost. You could try building the wheel yourself.

I may build my own wheel this year, maybe a new freestyle one :slight_smile:

Ask aroud your LBS’s, and see how much they can do it for…

Joe,