Trials Discussion Thread

nice, i like it, i think im gonna get some wood and build some obstacles. I sorta want something a little more stable than what i have for pallets. Also, with that step thingy, if its unstable, you can extend some 2x4’s off of it. I did that, and i think i actually need to add another few to my set. But… ithink yours is actaully wide enough. Mines about 1 1/2 foot width, and maybe 2-3ft length. Its a sorta little larger than normal 3 set. I gotta get home and go and uni :slight_smile: lol.

what kind of protection should I need for trials

Shingaurds, either with knee and shin or only shin
And a helmet to ofcourse.

Peter M

Ryan Atkins doesn’t ride his seat high, Zack Baldwin rides his seat high, Ryan’s is right in between Zack’s and Joe’s.

Battle At Tar River Trials Comp June 21, 2008. Held in the best natural trials spot in NC, Rocky Mount.

Site with flyer.

Google Map Location.

Also, annual Belle Isle NATS (North American Trials series) trials comp June 14. Held in Richmond, VA on Belle Isle.

And the Richmond trials and muni ride May 24 and 25. Richmond, Virginia Trials and Muni ride

Spread the word about the VA and NC rides!

Hey, out of curiosity, do most good trials riders know how to crankflip? (good being about an 80cm+ up)

You’re basing how good someone is at trials on their sidehop?

yeah :slight_smile:

At your level, it’s all about applying the right pressure on the cranks. Hoping onto skinnies forwards (and locking your legs) teaches this. Practice practice. Once you have done that, you should be hitting around 20". After that it’s all tuck. I wouldn’t suggest a prehop just yet as you need to learn to things static. Learn to prehop when you get over the 30" barrier.

First point seems very helpfull, gonna try that.
About the static versus prehop hop: I can do 83cm (32.7") static.
I can’t get anything higher with prehop, but working on it.

Peter M

Remember to not lock your legs too hard. Try and land on the skinny just right using minimal force to stop the wheel from turning.

I made this gap-up that I’ve been trying for months last night. I just love the feeling you get from making something like this. It is why I ride. I still haven’t made a 100cm to a ledge, but I’ve come close.

Answers, anyone?

Hmm, should I hold SIF with my hand on the back of the seat or by the post?

I can footplant crankflip on occasion, but I can’t land the crankflip.
Can good street riders (double flips) ride and jump rails?

Yes they can

Whatever works for you, but I think most hold it by the post.

I get the most control w/ my hand by the post and my thumb pointing to the front, but my hand gets tired pretty fast that way. If I wrap my thumb accross the saddle my hand doesn’t get as tired quite as fast. If I hold it towards the back, my hand gets tired the slowest, but I also get the least control.

I can hop 45cm SI and without a pre-hop I can only do about 30cm. Is the jumping onto skinny’s thing to help with SIF? I think I’ll stick with SI until I can make 50-60cm. I didn’t find it very hard to get to 45cm so with a bit of practise hopefully I can make 50cm.

Are you saying that to practise SIF hops I should find a low skinny and hop onto it SIF and so that the tyre is on a 90 degree angle to the skinny?

I can’t even crankflip and I can ride 2" and 3" wide stuff quite well lol. I wouldn’t really call myself a good street or trials rider, I’m kinda a beginner at both.

I can ride a rail after many tries (I am pretty sure). I was never much good at jumping though. My sidehop is at approximately 50cm while my rolling hop is at approximately 77cm. Most good street riders can jump a lot better than I can :angry: :o :frowning:

I can crankflip, but not consistently. Sometimes I land them first go, other times they take a few mins of trying.