Trials Discussion Thread

Maybe it’s just mental or the edge of your tire is kinda pushing into the corner of the skinny so it compesses the air in your tire more?

I cant do prehops. Well, I can, but it doesnt help me. Just sitting there and jumping up 34" works best for me.

I guarantee that if you learn to prehop correctly, you will add 5". That’s a meter for jerrick (Go for it!)
I went through a stage where, like you, did everything without a prehop. One day it just clicked. Funny how these things work out.

Ill work on it.

I kinda do a little one, like where you jump, but your tire really isnt leaving the ground.

Ill try some more though.

I do like having the skill to jump decently high without a prehop though. It works well when you have no room or stable enough to prehop.

Have you seen how big Joe Hodges’ pre hops are? They must be good if he can get that high :P. I still hop SI but a pre hop gets me 10-15cm higher.

I managed to compress my vid so that I could upload it.

Its got quite a few shots of my trials course in it so If your short on ideas on what to make, take a look.

Hope you like it.

Haha, I went through this too. And I still have tendencies of it in my riding. I need to get rid of the creepy crawler and work on pre-hops more. There was a while when it clicked for me, but I haven’t been riding enough this semester, so I lost my sense of timing and judgment with them. It’s pretty much all in the way you time a pre-hop out for it to be effective, isn’t it? At any rate, that creepy crawler has messed with my head and my riding performance to the point where it’s created mental and physical ‘blocks.’

I was going 34/5 inches without a pre-hop. With one, at least 39, but I’ve been told higher than 40, from many different firsthand witnesses, uni’ists or otherwise.

I’ll try to get that on video this summer, and then some. We’ll see!

Oh, I started out trying to get pre-hops down by hopping onto small things, in the 2 foot range. It has to be with something that you know you could do probably blind folded (not literally). I did this so I could understand the timing, judgment, and forces involved in a pre-hop. A pre-hop should make the smaller stuff even easier to hop onto.

I just finished building a trial box, wich can be used in demo’s.
Its about 78cm high and completly made from wood.
Will post pictures as soon as I can.

Peter M

2 days ago, I was riding, and I had a horrible time, I don’t know why.

But yesterday I went and tried again, and had a great time. I changed the air pressure in my tire, and it was perfect, the day before I couldn’t find the right amount of air pressure, and I was also wearing different shoes yesterday. I like them alot more.

I just thought this was intresting.

And do people find it easier to hop higher with a really low seat? My seat is pretty low, but should I go even lower?

Isaac

how mush psi of air should I have in a 20-2.5 luna for trials

I would recomend using a higher seat height. I find its easier for me to hop higher with a seat almost at freestyle heights.

This way you can get the maximum extension out of your legs without your arm getting in the way. I think my arms are also just plain short.

There is no such thing as a perfect psi, its different for everyone based on your technique and your weight.

I keep mine as low as I can go without bottoming out on drops.

…but around 20 is about right

…for some people.

thanks ,
I had 15 and was bottoming it out so I now have 20

that’s the same for me, though I mostly do MUni with some natural trials.

I use about 30 psi…mostly just because I kept getting flats w/ about 23…so I pumped it up some more. It hasn’t really changed my riding really…and I’m not getting AS many flats, so I’m happy

recieving a KH20 (07) next week.
ive been riding my cycle design uni for ages and it suks for tricks (except mounts, 1 foot, idle and basic stuff like that). i can bunny hop like 20 timeson it max.
so when i get the KH, should jut get used to it first by doing all the tricks i usualy do now, and then get into some beginner trials and street?

Yeah it might feel kinda akward to you at first. Especially if you aren’t used to riding a trials wheel.

But after you initially start to get used to how it feels and rides, there’s nothing wrong with learning new stuff on it. Just go for it.:slight_smile:

For natural trials you want more pressure because its easier to bottom out on uneven surfaces than flat ones.

Joe is a bad example because he has such long arms. He is tall and has longer than usual arms so he doesn’t need his seat height to be so high, this is why he is able to hop so high seat in.

Like I said, made some pictures of my demo box and sandwichboard:

New box, 76cm high and 83cm wide:

Old sandwichboard, 50cm high and 40cm wide:

More obsacles will be build this weekend, will post pictures when finished.

Peter M