Torker Unistar AX 29"

I finally got my AX29, and i really like it…although it is certainly harder to freemount than my 20", it is actually somewhat easier to ride…at least i think so

A KH fusion freeride seat will solve all of your saddle pains.

you would also need a new seat post to go with it.

Absolutely. I probably posted this on the other thread mentioned by pkittle but can’t say it enough. I love my AX. I don’t do really rough riding or big drops so the sturdiness is not a major issue for me… um (yet… :smiley: ) I love the light weight. It is amazing how much lighter it is than either of my 24" unis. And the Exiwolf tire? Only my lack of skill keeps me from maximizing what it could really do, but I’m satisfied with smooth rides over some semi rough ground and can finally go off curbs now. Yaah for me!

If I had more money when I bought the AX and was sure back then that I could handle and would enjoy a 29", I probably would have bought the KH.

My AX is in the shop right now… for the first time. Nothing is wrong with it but I just wanted a safety check done. Sooo… not being able to ride, I’m going through withdrawals. Hence my sudden appearance on the forums after a several month hiatus.

I love my AX. I said that already, didn’t I? :wink:

In the shop for a safety check ?

I’m not trying to make fun of you. I suspect we are polar opposites. It takes a broken bone to get me to see a doctor. I always work on my own stuff.

But why would you bring a uni to a bike shop for a safety check? Tapping spokes will find the loose ones. A pressure gauge can check tires, and your eyes tread wear. The bearings are unserviceable. None of these things fail suddenly, without clear warning, such as to impair safety.

I suspect the bike shop wrenches will laugh to themselves that the uni is missing a wheel, and it’s owner has a screw loose. Then return it to you after lightening your wallet.:wink:

Truly sir, I am just trying to be helpful. I think you worry to much. Relax, a lot of things may go wrong riding a uni. :astonished: We should be glad that the uni’s themselves are almost never to blame.:slight_smile: A simpler more trouble free method of wheeled transport has never been made .:smiley:

My LX 24" that is quite new had a stripped crank. I keep it as a loner so people will leave my AX alone. I blame myself for neglecting to check it. Both it and the AX were ordered through my LBS so I brought the AX in when I did the LX. I know I could easily have bought my unis online without the bike shop, but I think it is VERY important to support our LBS.

I was able to pick it up yesterday just before the shop closed. There was no charge for any work. And now my AX that I didn’t think had any problems is running smoother, is clean, and has lost its recently acquired squeek. The LX will be ready next week. The guys at thiis shop are great. One in particular appreciates the opportunity to work on my 29" since he only has a 24". Another guys who owns a beautiful blue KH is a fantastic rider. I aspire to ride 10% as well as he does some day. :slight_smile:

I’m a ma’am. :wink: And the only work I do on my car is put gas in it. Still you are right, I should do more service on my own uni’s. But I will still support my LBS.

i didn’t know they even made 29"

:smiley: They do and here’s the proof of the elegant 29er. :smiley:

That is elegant but he was talking about this i believe

I just received my AX 29er last week. It seems to be a decent ride except for the pedals! The pedals were discarded after the first 10 yards, NO GRIP. I’m also not to keen on the saddle front grip, its a little small for big hands. Other than that, the 29er ride is great, the WTB Exiwolf tire is a good combi tire. the AX is quite a bit lighter than my Quax 24" MUNI. I would recommend the Torker AX 29er to anyone looking for an inexpensive quality ride.:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Congrats on getting an affordable sweet ride.

I’d been thinking about getting new ones for this very reason. Any suggestions?

Just the front grip? The whole saddle has to go. It’s not much better than a brick on extended rides.

But I agree about the tire. Actually I think the tire has spoiled me because now I hate riding my other unis. :wink:

Okay if you get the Torker AX29 you will get nailed with duty if you purchase it from the US. So I would reccomend the Bedford 29" I think its like $350 but you will get something that will probably last longer, and not get duty. Ive ordered a 20" uni from the US and got $90 + for duty, just think what a 29" would be.

I would reccomend Bedford Unicycles, Ive purchased many things from him and everything has been perfect. And if something goes wrong he will give you a free tune up.

Give him a call. www.bedfordunicycles.ca

Isaac

Yeah, My DX had about $90 duty total…

But it was still significantly cheaper than any similar quality Unicycle I could have bought in Canada.

I think I regret buying the torker

No… not anymore. :frowning:

To upgrade the seat to a KH I’d need

a. a KH seat
b. a rail adapter.

I thought I would need just the seat and a new seat post but according to UDC that is not possible since the posts don’t come in the size needed for my AX.

The rail adapter is costly and heavy. What is the point of adding that weight to my lightweight AX.

She (my AX) did perform well on the trails today. But it is hard to sit on a brick.

I should have bought a KH.

Now. Do I buy a KH or coker?
And how many unis DOES one person need?

You can never have enough unicycles, what was the average, 5? per person.

Buy a 36"! It is so nice.

I almost bought an AX, but backed out because it would be difficult to mount a KH seat. The way I was planning to the change was to buy a seat, a regular std 4 bolt post, and a shim. I don’t remember the correct size needed to adapt to a torker, but AEB had it (UDC has some shims).

BTW, I’ve since been using rail adapters and they are more comfy.

i suggest making an airseat i have one and its not aKH or nimbus level of comfort but it is better.
then go for the corker

i agree people wh dont ride do not understand though the dont understand how there are difrent styles of riding and unis to accompany that style i only have 3(learner giraffe and 29er) so far but im still working on it next addittion is a trials/flat

I’m thinking of rigging up something like this.

although i’m finding that, after several weeks of intermittent soreness “down there,” i’m beginning to not have nearly as much pain…of course i haven’t done any rides of longer than 15 or so miles yet, and the soreness would probably recur if i did any real distance riding…but i have been commuting 9 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, and doing 3-4 mile XC MUni rides whenever i get the chance, and the problem seems to have subsided a lot…

so i guess i will see…if i find that i really do need to change the saddle for longer rides, i’ll try bolting a thomson directly to a KH freeride saddle…if that turns out to be less than ideal, i might have to go for a scott wallis DeRail base (and yeah, i do realize that that setup may very well end up costing as much as an entire stock Torker AX)

A more concise version of what i said in my last post is that your tender spots may start to toughen up. Or at least, mine have.

oh, and if you are going to buy a new unicycle, definitely go for a 36er

The KH, although superior to the AX in many ways, is too similar to justify owning both. It uses a(n undesirable) rail adaptor. It’s also somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds heavier than the AX (not to say it’s a pig or anything).

The biggest thing is price, though. A KH29 costs about $600. Our AX29s cost about $250. A new (2nd gen) Coker Big One (with aluminum frame and rim) starts at $439 and weighs a claimed 16 lbs. That’s a heck of a deal if you ask me.

As everyone says, just my 2 cents, and all that…

5… ok then I’m still below the average. I can get two more. :wink:

An airseat. That is a good idea. Either that or go for the adaptor.

You’ve made some good points especially about the cost. For that money I’d be better off with the Coker. And lately I’ve started thinking more and more about it. To “explain” the purchase though… to family members who don’t ride… hm… :roll_eyes:

As for toughening up areas. No problem there. I had a noname with a saddle from hell. One of these days I am going to post a pic of that seat here. It cut my thighs something fierce. I’ve got three pairs of destroyed denim jeans. But I kept riding it 'cuz that is all I had at the time. The Torker saddle of course is better than that but a miserable ride for distance.

A Coker. I’m about talked into it. Then again … talking “me” into it is not the problem. Maybe there is a support group for families of unicyclists.

You are right, its not fantastic but certainly better than the brick. I had it converted yesterday. A big difference in comfort! Good luck with the trials uni.

Ive been unicycaling for a little over 2 months myself and started off with a 20" torker unistar ax for around $120 and I thought it was ok until I tried out my friends unicycle whos been unicycaling for about 2 weeks now. I find for most tricks the torker unistar ax is too bulky but thats just my opinion. I think it would be good for what your doing though.