Today I (brag thread) V2

11% grade

Today I made it all the way up an 11% grade. :):slight_smile: For many of you, this is hardly a challenge but, I have been struggling for months and today I made it! Woohoo :stuck_out_tongue: My set up is a 29 inch Nimbus with 150mm cranks. Reading setups of other folk, I am amazed that people have 29ers or 36ers with 110 cranks and fly up grades like this. Anyhow, I’ll keep at it until I too can fly up the grades.

Cheers,
Dan

Good work, danomite! 11% is nothing to sneeze at! (You didn’t say how long it was, the distance is really what accounts for the difficulty.) I ride up a hill about that steep and about a 1/2 mile long most mornings before work on my 32", and I feel like I’ve had a dang good work out by the time I get to the top, let me tell you!
Congrats!

Thanks Lance. In north Texas our hills aren’t very tall and certainly nothing compared to the terrain in California. The hill I’ve been trying to climb is ridiculously short and best measured in yards versus mile (s). Once I have mastered 16% grades I should be able to ride most anywhere in north Texas without having to change routes or walk the machine. Later this summer, I will be traveling to the Los Angeles mountains to practice sustained grade work! That will be most awesome.

Today I landed outflips and got about ten feet of coasting.

I learned wheel walk from a static mount with my pedal at 6oclock. But it then took me a while to learn how to transition into it from riding (you must ride slowly as you transition to the tire)

And on that note, I finally landed the whole wheel walk today! I rode, moved into ww, then moved back to the pedals! It doesn’t sound very exciting, but I had been having trouble with the transitions.

Yesterday I landed a fakie slide.

You’ve been practicing lately. Did Unicon get you really motivated?

Today I… didn’t really unicycle at all. I did however purchase a basically brand new 20" off CL for cheap, and after turning the tire so the crank arms were on their proper sides, tried to get my wife to try it out. And I came up with an idea on how to, perhaps, make unicycle learning faster (though maybe less forgiving). What I did was put a pallet on the ground and basically use it as a way to mount from a slightly higher vantage point and with the pedals set correctly, it totally prevents roll-back and hopefully instills some confidence. Within a few a tries she was in the saddle ~4/5 times consistently and after half an hour was riding 2-3 revolutions while just barely holding my arm. I think she might be a natural o.O Of course the last time she tried the uni just lurched out from under her throwing her flat on her back before I had a chance to even react, but she just laughed and said that was it for today :D. I’m super excited because though she is certainly the adventurous type, I can never seem to convince her to try anything sporty outside of hiking, kayaking and biking (rollerblading was a DISASTER and ice-skating she promised never to try). But, she really seemed to enjoy this, and like I said she seems a natural, certainly progressed faster in a half hour than I did in better than a week of an hour a day practice >.<

My next pupil will be my little brother, though that might wait til the spring since I don’t see him often enough.

Hey,
Well Done Mr and Mrs ManicMike
Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

Forward and a side hop onto a curb with my 29

I landed my first 5 180 unispins! it was so cool! Not only did I land them but i have video of the first two!

I managed to get two revs backward.

actually yesterday:
I met a lot of nice new people at a local competition/convention and finally
i landed: “Laaaaate 360 unispins” after month of painful attempts. :slight_smile:

We are on the same mission. My record today was 6 full revs or 12 pedals backwards.

UPDed on wet leaves on a corner. Brag? Well it’s the first time I’ve been cornering fast enough for that to happen, would have gone down on a bike (and hit the deck, whilst on the uni I landed on my feet).

Oh and I Stravaed the school run on my guni :smiley:

Edit: have just logged onto Strava and got one more - I’ve had my guni ride flagged! I normally record uni rides as a run which allows me to use a different profile to bike rides, and to be honest uni rides are a lot closer to running than biking speed - I then change type in Strava later. Should probably think about using a different profile for the uni, as I seem to have taken a load of running KOMs off somebody :wink:

Give 'em something to work for!

Been working on SIF for a while on the handrail and not been making much progress. Decided to just go for it and pushed away from the rail. Did 8 pedals the first try, 20 pedals (10 revs) was my best.

I am pretty pleased with myself!

Today I started to learn coasting, after about an hour I can get 2 or 3 revs every time and I got up to about 9 a few times.

Today I finally conquered the high road to town. The route is six kilometres mostly along old concrete footpaths with many driveways cut into it. The hardest parts are long climbs with short steep exits up out of the driveway cuts.

I have been working on it for three months and have been able to do every section of it separately on various attempts for a while but today was the first time I put it all together in a single run without a dismount.

I continued another three kilometres on a relatively easy path making it my longest continuous ride ever.

Google doesn’t do justice but here are some of my favourite bits of the roller coaster section. It is steeper and tighter than it looks and it doesn’t show the condition of the surfaces. Hope the links work.

Managed 4 consecutive right hand circles sif holding with my right hand yesterday. And actually got 2 very shaky left handed left hand sif circuits as well. Can’t get left hand circuits holding with my right hand yet.

I did actually skid going downhill on Sunday, probably all of 50mm, didn’t know whether I was coming or going :stuck_out_tongue: Certainly got off in a hurry :smiley: