To brake or not to brake....that is the question?

Thanks to all

Thanks for all the great insight into brakes. I’m very close to buying my first serious unicycle (the Club 20 I bought on craigslist $50) doesn’t count.
I’m leaning toward the Oracle 27.5. With luck it will be a good balance between too small and too big for where I’m at in the learning process.

Sounds good. If I could rewind time I would get the 27.5 or the 29 Oracle.

My first real uni after the one I learned it on was a 26" which I rode quite a lot, but then I got a Nimbus 29", which I just loved. I’ve ridden many many kilometres on it. The 27.5 might be easier to mount, though I have no issues with the 29er.

the 29 comes with a smaller tire, so they both end up with almost the same tire circumference. can’t go wrong with either, but down the road there may end up being better tire choices with the 27.5.

27.5 is also cheaper.

Discounts at unicycle.com

How often do discounts at unicycle dot com come around?

They used to discount a few times a year, lately (last year or so) it’s been rare to see any of the preferred uni’s go on sale. I would say if it’s going to happen most likely it will happen in the next month or two. Search around, sometimes they pop up at other places as well.

Fat uni

How much would I be using a brake going down
serious muni trails with a fat unicycle with 140mm cranks?

A lot if it’s steep or drops are involved.
Even more the larger the tire.

They usually have a sale the week after I buy one. Not sure when that will be though.

What do you mean, if you could rewind time. You can just buy those 2 as well. I think any unicyclist should have all wheel sizes in his shed. I have 8 unis, though not the 27.5.

Funny :slight_smile:

You should let us all know the next time you buy one… :smiley:

I borrowed a friends older Nimbus 26 with the knobby tire which felt like a tank. I borrowed just to see if I really wanted to buy a Muni. It was fun but hard to steer on pavement.
I bought the Oracle 27.5 with it’s smoother yet still off road tire and what a difference. I have so much more control on pavement. Plus it is a pound lighter some how.

Tire pressure will also affect how hard it is to turn. Good choice with the 27.5.

I ride my Oracle 36 more and more and I’m an intermediate to advanced rider. I have brakes on all my unicycles except for my 19 inch. I wouldn’t ride at 36 without a brake with shorter cranks because it saves my knees and allows me to ride at a more even Cadence downhill. For A smaller wheel for steep technical downhills it helps to have a brake for similar reasons as the 36. It allows you to keep going in and even Speed and Cadence without The Choppier riding that happens when you’re using just back pressure to slow down and stay in control.

So if you’re on that wheel size and you’re only planning on riding on relatively flat Terrain no need for a brake. If you think you might venture into Muni where you’re going downhill for extended periods then go for the brake.

In terms of maintenance I’ve had very little trouble with the standard hydraulic disc brakes that come with unicycles these days. I have way more problems with caliper Rim brakes on my kids bikes.

If you’re not sure which to get and you are not a starving artist go for the more expensive unicycle. I’ve never once regretted my expensive unicycle purchases.