The "Yo, Dude, Can i try that?" Rant

Just under “Where’s your other wheel?” the thing most unicyclists seem to hear is people asking if they can try to ride their unicycle.

I know there are already some posts about this topic (i remember reading some), but a certain encounter with some ghetto thug-lovin’ 14-year-old white boys made me want to resurfase the subject.

It was yesterday night, my FIRST night with my Summit Trials Uni. My Brand New, Shiney, Blemish Free, Summit Trials Unicycle. It was a glorious night and i was about ready to go home…uni-till…

On bikes these three kids rode up and gave me the whole “hey you’re pretty good” thing and then they asked if they could try. Now i always say yes, for some reason. Probably because i want people to know how hard it is, even after awhile it gets really easy. Normally people just try to give it one or two good hops on, sometimes enlisting help of others to get their tooshies in the saddle and then politely hand it back. But these kids… They tried for a HALF AN HOUR! No joke. They just kept trying while i just stood there. I mean C’Mon!

What is it, you think, about people that think that they might just be able to jump on it and ride around… like a scooter or something? It really kinda baffles me. :thinking:

I had two kids wanna try. One said he had rode one when he was longer and he could do it. I said, “cool man, lets see it!”
The very first thing he did was try try to mount with his foot on the FORWARD pedal. It was appearant he had never touched a unicycle before. I think he literallt thought he was gonna hope on and be good enough to mkae me think at one time in his life he had ridden.
His friend tried to ride the thing for about 30 minutes and kept on saying, “Aww, I almost got it that time.” :roll_eyes:

I was riding down on the beach a few months ago and I heard some lady say, “Look, that guys riding a unicyle!” To which her husband said, “Yea, I rode one of those once.” Funniest thing I have ever over heard. I wanted to turn around and ask him if he wanted to ride mine for his 2nd time :stuck_out_tongue:

Umm should say YOUNGER not LONGER :smiley:

Now that I read over it my grammar was horrible throughout that post. Excuse me, it is still a little early in the morning.

Re: The “Yo, Dude, Can i try that?” Rant

XWonka <XWonka.ru069@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> What is it, you think, about people that think that they might just be
> able to jump on it and ride around… like a scooter or something? It
> really kinda baffles me. :thinking:

Because unicycling, when it’s done by someone who can do it well, looks
much easier than it really is.

Nick Grey
To e-mail me, add 0307 after my name in my e-mail address.

I ride around bar areas alot and love to have drunk frat boys try to ride. They go from being cocky and owning the world to an immediate realization that they don’t have a hot dogs chance in a dog kennel of riding. The only thing I love better is when sorority girls want to ride and I can help them out there.

Thats just what you get for being a nice guy with a cool uni.

If possible you could bring your other uni for people to try.

Morten

I often find myself explaining to kids that they won’t be able to ride my muni cos their legs aren’t long enough to reach the pedals. It’s always a lost cause, they can’t seem to grasp the concept and just keep asking for a go.

He may have given you a surprise. The other way to interpret his words is that he learned to ride one when he was a kid, perhaps a neighborhood one. But it was a passing fad and he hadn’t been on one since. Only one way to find out, of course.

I let people try my unicycles, though they don’t ask nearly as much if you’re on a Coker or a fat-tired MUni. I got the requests lots more when I rode more ordinary street unicycles. Usually people were too short, but for kids they have to experience that for themselves. They really want to try, so I usually give them the chance.

Giving a try does not mean loaning it out for the day though. If I get bored watching someone, I’ll tell them I have to go, or start charging rent on it. I can see how a Trials uni would look a lot more attractive than other types. Hopping on a uni is a lot easier than riding it, so theoretically someone could learn how to “Trials” it pretty quickly…

Very true John. Actually on the same trip down the beach I had this huge weight lifter dude ask if he could try it out. I said sure. He proceeded to hope right on and ride around, go backwards, hop, idle, etc.
I gave him a high five and asked him to come riding with me the next day. He told me he didn’t even own a unicycle and that was the first time he had rode since he was a kid(he looked to be about 35)!!! :sunglasses:

Re: Re: The “Yo, Dude, Can i try that?” Rant

The exception to that is higher level stuff, like MUni or Trials or upper-level freestyle. Whenever people see me riding on flat off-road trails, they think it’s amazing. There never seems to be anyone around when I actually do the hard stuff, though.

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 02:17:17 -0500, XWonka
<XWonka.ru069@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>They tried for a HALF AN HOUR!

You seemed to be alluding to disaster but left the issue open. So I’m
just curious, was the Summit still “Brand New, Shiney, Blemish Free”
afterwards?

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

I go a sort of ok speed on my Coker… - Roger Davies

“XWonka” <XWonka.ru069@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:XWonka.ru069@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Just under “Where’s your other wheel?” the thing most unicyclists seem
> to hear is people asking if they can try to ride their unicycle.
>

I just wonder how safe it is for me to let another “have a go”? In these
days of crazy lawsuits, am I not taking a risk if he hurts himself? I
always give the “government health warning”: “at your own risk”, but am I
doing enough?

Naomi.

“Naomi” <Naomi_SajeriDELETETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> “XWonka” <XWonka.ru069@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote
> > Just under “Where’s your other wheel?” the thing most unicyclists seem
> > to hear is people asking if they can try to ride their unicycle.
>
> I just wonder how safe it is for me to let another “have a go”? In
these
> days of crazy lawsuits, am I not taking a risk if he hurts himself?
I
> always give the “government health warning”: “at your own risk”, but am
I
> doing enough?

Naomi, are people as eager to sue on your side of the pond as they seem to
be here? Sure there’s a risk of being sued. Anyone can file suit for just
about anything. Winning in court is a another story. I am certainly not a
lawyer but if you aren’t 'negligent my thought is the risk is fairly small
lending to an adult. I’d do it without much hesitation. Children are a
different story. I’d want an informed parent’s consent.

I would think this would fall under the same category as giving someone a
try on a bike, skateboard, scooter, rola-bola (balance board), or anything
else. I have tried to find information on the web where lawsuits were filed
for this lending scenario and I couldn’t find anything. Can anyone cite a
specific reference?

-Cubby
<Need sig. Will work for sig.>

Simple answer, no.

Long answer, my KH saddle was scuffed on the front handle, the pedals had alot of silverish metal showing through the black paint, and the oranhe paint was chipped off in a few places.

What we need is a unicyclist who is a lawyer by profession. We’ve got mechanics and engineers, what we need now is a lawyer.

Re: Re: Re: The “Yo, Dude, Can i try that?” Rant

No, what we need is a total absence of lawyers. Things start getting needlessly complex when they get involved. Ever seen the warnings you get on some packets of nuts “Warning: Contains nuts!” you can thank the lawyers for that blindingly obvious statement.

Have (lawyer free) fun!

Graeme

Re: Re: Re: Re: The “Yo, Dude, Can i try that?” Rant

makes me think of an intel rip-off
‘nuts inside, nuts outside!’

u say it like 35 is old or something…

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The “Yo, Dude, Can i try that?” Rant

I’d like to think it is since I’m ONLY 30 :smiley:

Nobody has ever asked to try Grendel.

When people mention they used to unicycle and I offer to let them take their
shot, they back up, then decline politely.

Coker, Coker, Coker, Coker…