The Three Peaks Unicycle Challenge 2006

Congrats everyone!

Wow- congratulations. Tough enough in good conditions let alone with the weather you had to deal with.

Kris

My legs ache!

That was blummin’ awesome, an absolutely incredible weekend. The variety of the weekend is unlike anything I’ve ever done before, from the fantastic non-stop descent of Snowdon to navigating around a featureless boulder field on Scafell Pike at silly o’clock in the morning and the logistics of trying to eat and get changed while squashed into a minibus… all with a time limit. Fantastic fun.

For those equipped with Google Earth I’ve attached some lines to look at. From the tracklog it almost looks like we knew where we were going on Scafell… :slight_smile:

Phil

UK Three Peaks Unicycle Challenge 2006.zip (96.1 KB)

Congrats! Very nice, I want to go MUni at Snowdon sometime, I don’t think I’ve ever ridden a real mountain :smiley: On one side im jealous of you guys, on the other side I’m happy it wasn’t me having to ride up and down there!
Good good, EenWiel.nl is more a national page so I wasn’t expecting a full report, hopefully you guys will recover fast :wink:

Paul! It’s important to have drivers, but next time you should be riding too!

Cheers,

Dustin

My GPS said 1:36 going up and 0:57 going down, with a five-minute stop at the top for a photo and a turbo-faffing session. We went up the Miners’ Track which made a big difference; it starts with a very gentle climb around the lakes which gets you close to the summit very quickly, and then you just have to sling your muni and scramble up the very steep trail to the summit.

Nothing can prepare you for a ride with so little faffing. On the way up we stopped to put some more layers on once; we got our photo taken on the top and on the way down I had a single jelly baby stop. That was it…

Phil

Lots of technology on my new phone, but not quite enough to post on RSU. :thinking:

I’ve just been speaking to a friend who went up Scafell Pike on a clear, sunny day; he said they were wondering at the time “why there were so many damn cairns all over the place”. :slight_smile:

Now we know why…

Phil

I have cake, which is coming to hockey, I hear that cake is a source of natural pain relief. So no excuses now. You can even have some before the game if you really need it!

Joe

Sometimes it’s hard to convey in writing how difficult something is, or how awful the weather can be. Hopefully Phil’s ‘exclusive’ write up for the Uni Mag will do justice to what the six of us riders and two drivers went though over the previous weekend. We’re deliberately not writing too much about the weekends exploits as it will spoil what’s going to be a very exciting and amusing (in parts) story of epic proportions. Get writing Phil :smiley:

The 3 Peaks Unicycle Challenge was never going to be easy and ended up being harder than we imagined. Apart from mass sleep deprivation, rain, driving winds and sub-zero windchills, physical exhaustion, etc, ect… we all actually enjoyed ourselves :smiley: …well, I did anyway ;).

Phil: Don’t forget to mention the sheep and the cows!

My brakes held out through-out and that’s possibly why I could walk the day after. All credit to the ones who opted not to listen to me (Phil) and fit brakes, plus the ones that had brake failures… are we walking up and down stairs yet? :stuck_out_tongue:

It really was a superb weekend, mainly due to some fantastic company, awesome riding and incredible driving to catch up lost time to give us a chance at completing the challenge.

Same again next year lads…? Er… NO!
Can’t wait to re-live the experience in the next issue of Uni Mag.

Steve (still on a HIGH, but EXTREMELY tired) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Steve’s new sig line:

Once is NEVER enough!*

• terms and conditions apply

Phil

I’m not going to be interviewed again as the BBC are really busy, the extra exposure would have been nice but I can’t say I like being interviewed (OK then I hate it).

Cake sounds great and I’m walking around now, even getting up and down stairs (slowly), so I’ll be at hockey tonight though I don’t know about the pain relief qualities of cake so I’ll take Ibuprofen and use some Radian B as a precaution (and probably be in goal :slight_smile: )

Gary

Better keep the stick down though as it sounds like you’ll struggle to complete a penalty lap of the pitch:D

Funny boy! :stuck_out_tongue:
Haven’t you got an article to be getting on with?

Spotted!

Rob The Rubbish, top right (although it looks like they update it a lot, so it might move…)

Phil

Independant proof that it wasn’t all a dream! :slight_smile: Fantastic!
I think I was probably having a nice cup of tea and a baked potato at that point…

Paul

Did you make your funding goal?

We don’t have the final figure yet, donations are still coming in, but we are certainly on our way and it’s not too late to donate. Thank you to everyone who has already kindly donated.

I’ve been in contact with the suppliers today and the wheelchair has just been released (what good timing) so demonstration, measurements for fitting and quote will be in a week or so. We will then be in a better position to see if we’re able to purchase it now, I do hope so.

Gary

BTW I was going to upload the news clip but it seems the gallery is down!

My son had the demo of the wheelchair yesterday and it went really well, it was hard to get him out of it. He spent most of the time with the seat elevated so he was the same height as me, granted I’m not tall but it is a huge difference for him and he couldn’t get over how different things looked, I can only imagine. It’s also quick, 13kph, so he can keep up with me on my Muni :smiley:

Along with the wheelchair being just released the prices have as well and we did find out that the cost is a quite a bit more than we’d anticipated, about 90% more. So if you haven’t donated, and were going to (or even if you weren’t :)), we are still collecting so it’s not too late and would be much appreciated.

On another note I’ve just watched the first 10 minute video of three from ‘The BMW 3 Peaks Challenge’ which was interesting and starts to show how hard the 3 peaks is.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/microsites/B/bmw_3peaks/

Oh and the unicyclist.com gallery seems to still be down, anyone know when it’ll be back up, Gilby? Or anywhere else I could post the news clip?

Gary

As long as it’s not toooooo huuuuuge, then I can bung it up on my web space.

Drop me an email and I’ll sort something out for you.

Cheers

STM

The local news video clip has now been uploaded here;

Small (2.4mb)
Big (9.2mb)

Cheers

STM