The Oregon has arrived!

Yeah, but it’s only single walled and only made for sand and snow. I’d be afraid it would collapse on even a smallish drop!

"Note: FlatTop rims are designed for snow or sand riding only and are not designed or intended for XC trail riding. "

There are a couple ways to lose weight with a surly rim and tire. The Large Marge XC is drilled out, which saves weight and is still very strong. No one needs the DH rim, but it is cheaper. The Larry comes in low and high tpi (threads per inch). The higher count is lighter and more resilient, the lower count is heavier, more rubbery, and less expensive.

The Oregon is spec’d with the XC rim and high tpi tire.

I plan to build another wheel for my Oregon using the wider hub, but the hubs won’t be available until July at the earliest. So yeah, if you swap hubs you can have as many wheels as you want. The frame will accomodate the widest and tallest 29er tire.

The mountain disc option is a great one as well, I was looking at the system and nearly bought a couple set ups before I ran out of $$$; can you say Schlump?!

In the three short years I have been riding, the uni world has made huge strides in terms of gear quality and availability, so even if you don’t see the “thneed” for an Oregon, just look at what we can get now vs five or ten years ago :smiley:

I ran a Intense DH 2.5 on the LM and it was fine, but that was probably about as narrow as you’d want to go since the rim is 65mm, you probably want a little bit of extra tire so it stays seated.

I think with the new ventures with 0 Q factor it should be okay. And for the wide tires it should be good to prevent rubbing legs against the tire.
One reason for chosing this over a MountainUni is the crank availability. I could run any ISIS crank I want with this. Who knows how long sinz will be around…

Let’s see:
Triton triple frame = 500€
MountainUni complete set with brake = 210€
Larry = 90€
LM = 100€
hub = 50€
Seat = 40€
Seat post = 20€
Pedals = 20€
Spokes = 20€
Total = 1050€
So that’s almost the cost of another Schlumpf hub :astonished:
Kind of pricey as opposed to 635€ for the Oregon.

That would be an option. But I really like the Nimbus frame better. And I would leave my geared 26er the way it is anyways. Plus I like to have a choice of cranks. So I think I already made a decision here.

So did you drill all the way through or just the inner wall?

I don’t see any evidence that they use the XC. It actually says on the UK site that it’s the DH one.

The mounts for the brake are fixed to the frame so if you wanted to run a bigger rotor you will need to use an adaptor.

With adaptors… you can fit as big as you can get the adaptor.

Yes the hub is the same dimensions as the one fitted on the Oragon, but has a CrMO spindle.

80mm flange to flange and 16mm dishing

They are different since they do have different cranks on. You can guesstimate this as the hub is 25mm wider than a standard hub.

CrMO

It is the ISO standard. Clearance is about 16mm to the spokes

Hope that helps

Roger

Roger, would you recommend this for tech muni or would you say it’s more of an xc thing? Also, could you clarify if the rim is the xc or the dh one?

Ah, N+1. In that case enjoy the Oregon!

I am not really the expert at riding this thing. Josh is more your man for that. The only times I have ridden it I loved it and would love to take it to do Moutain Meyhem on as it just goes over everything!

The rim matter… it looks like it might have the DH as that is what was supplied I know it should have had the XC. I am going to check with Josh on this.

Roger

Thanks Roger. So is Josh on here as well?

It is the DH rim. So will update the specs as I put that in wrong.

I have Josh on Skype. :slight_smile:

Roger

I thought I read on the UK page that it’s DH. So no correction needed there.
But maybe you should add what brakes are included?
Say hi to Josh! :slight_smile:

Good point… no mention about the brake! I have updated it. Thanks for that.

Roger

Please bring one to mayhem!:smiley:

i take it with the clerance on that frame it will take a 29 ?

It does! looks like the Oregon and Impulse hubs may fit your Nightrider frames. I have one of those, and I’m thinking of retrofitting an internal disc brake onto it. If that works out, perhaps retrofit kits may be made available on UDC! Like the impulse, the Oregon is a very cool rig!

I like the idea of adding a larger, or a custom rotor to the Impulse or Oregon for more power or a personalized look, it’s good to see it is standardized! Nicely Done.

So would your bearing holder mount work for disks on the inside of the nightrider frame? I could see myself upgrading mine too, then.

This has not been tried yet. it would be easiest to just get an Oregon or Impulse Unicycle from UDC. However, if you have a Nightrider and are not currently considering an Impulse, what you propose is likely the case using the hub for the impulse or Oregon to upgrade your Nightrider to an Impulse with an additional part called the UCM.

Josh told me that the Oregon’s were spec’d with the XC rim, but the first batch were “sent” from the factory with the DH rim. He said that he ordered some XC rims (5?) and will swap them out on a first come basis. I got the XC rim on mine.

The Oregon frame is based on the disc brake 36er frame, BUT I don’t know what changes were made dimensionally, but if you all can wait, I’ll post the dimensions when mine arrives in a few days :smiley:

The Oregon should be substantially lighter than a Conundrum, ESP the one at Terry posted a pic of, which had the DH rim, Profile hub, heavy cranks, etc…

I’m going to see if an Avid BB 7 will fit, cuz I really prefer a good mechanical brake for durability and maintenance ease.

Great thread! Well on its way to providing a very complete set of information about the Oregon including weights, dimensions and a load of opinions!

In a word, floatation. I seem to remember the same question being asked back when Bruce Bundy and Dave Poznanter started using 3" tires. The answer then was ‘flotation, flotation flotation.’ :slight_smile:

The downside is big bounce. I imagine some playing around with tire pressure can make it better suited to whatever trail you happen to be on, but too much pressure makes it ride like a rotating trampoline. Though even that can be fun.

I got to ride it with Josh on the trail at the Vancouver MUni Weekend, for a mile or more. It was really fun the way that thing eats terrain. Like the step-up from smaller tires to 3" downhill tires that many of us did about 10 years ago, it makes nearly any given terrain easier to ride on.

I think the idea was to spec it simply and let people upgrade, either when ordering or later on. This keeps the initial price from being even higher.

Uh oh, somebody talk MuniOrBust out of buying one of these before it’s too late!

But just because it’s not for you doesn’t mean it’s not for someone else. Even posers. The “Hummer bar” has just been raised. Some will buy it because it has the biggest tire, and for no other reason. No worries, every sale helps support the development and improvement of future models and designs!

All this talk of weight, while helpful to the overall thread, is kind of missing the point. If you’re after light, you won’t be riding this. However non-heavy it may be, the rotating mass is not going to be minimal if it’s to be a strong wheel. It’s going to tend to feel heavier than a skinnier wheel of similar diameter. The question then is, is it worth it to you for the ride the massive floatation brings?

Using that thing for XC would be a waste. Unless maybe if it’s really bumpy XC. The purpose of that wheel is to eat bumps. I bet it’s really great on rough, rocky descents (with the pressure dialed, that is).

Here’s a picture of the prototype we got to try at MUni Weekend last year.

Just for Thought

I would think that such a monster would also have at least the 27.2 mm seat post.

If you ride in a lot of mud sand or snow it would probably be an ideal uni. Otherwise even on very technical rocky terrain. The 3" wheel is more than enough. I even get good traction in scree and sand with the 3" Duro and Arrow wide bite.

Maneuverability would probably suck.

Damn it, I want it, I want it, I want so baaaad! But it won’t replace any of my current rides, I guess. Time to build a stable for my collection.