The Missing Link: A 32" unicycle, a' la Walmart and UDC

I saw five of these bikes in Walmart today, all different colors. I guess they just started stocking their spring bicycles. I didn’t see any tubes or tread for 32s on the shelves (yet).

Testrun

Today we had a 50 minutes testrun on the new 32" machine.
It seems like going from a 29" Big apple / 29" Nokian, to a 32", is a piece of cake. I had a hard time keeping up with my 26" muni, as she complaint “I cant really see the difference in the wheelsize…”. Then, a guy on bike on his way home from work passed us, and she got the idea of drafting, and then “showing him the wheel”. After that we could agree that there where a difference in wheelsize.
As commentet earlier, this wheel is not frightening heavy, so todays run with 114mm crankarms seemed to be no problem for a 10 year old girl, on a relatively flat course. I guess the 100mm will be put on pretty soon.

serie0008.jpeg

good to hear, she’s a good rider
did you lace it with 48 spokes or less ?

i hope UDC will sell 32" in the next future (and a very light road 36 tire)

I used the original 48 spokes and nipples which was on the Walmart wheel. They did fit pretty good at a Nimbus ISIS 48 hole hub (I guess, it did not have to be a ISIS hub to fit).
Due to the ISIS hub, I used the lower part of a ‘20" Circus Unicycle Frame’ of the 42mm type, and a older ‘28" Cricus Unicycle Frame’ of the type with 22mm seatposttube, to make the 32" frame. Of course, other combinations could have been chosen here. The wheel was considered to be “one of a kind”, but the frame was more a test-project, so there I went for a cheaper solution. One drawback is that the frame is “heavy”, but an advantage is that it quite stiff.

Very nice job guys!!

UDC does have a 48 hole ISIS hub, but they only sell it in the US as far as I know??

yes, UDC us sells 48 hole hubs

You can get that kind of hubs as well in Germany:
http://www.einradladen.com/shop/product_info.php?language=en&info=p208_nabe---qu-ax-isis-48-loch-rot.html&
http://www.einradladen.com/shop/product_info.php?language=en&info=p211_nabe---qu-ax-isis-48-loch-gelb.html&

I am using both hubs in several unicycles and they are just great.

If anyone still has interest, I just called kent directly. They ship any part of the 32 inch separately, I was quoted $55 for a front wheel. And replacement tires are $18. He said shipping would be about $5 in the US. 800-451-5368 is the number.

Medaceina, That is great news! thank you!

Yeah I’m looking to build a solid big wheel on a tight budget. Right now it’s looking like for $170 plus shipping I’ll have all the parts I need get rolling. I’ll be using my trials saddle and seat post for a while, but other than that it’s all new stuff. I’ll also have to extend a 26 inch muni frame for the wheel, but I have full access to a machine shop so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Nice project you got there.

Happy hours of riding ahead!

Greetings

Byc

Were they cool about buying just the wheel?

I have a spare wheel going right now… in in NY … $107 plus shipping

I did it, just ordered everything. They were more than happy to sell me just the wheel, I just had to tell them the model I wanted it for. Came out to $59.95 after shipping. They also said that the rim can only be sold as the rim-spoke-hub combo, and that is $40 plus 4.95 for shipping. They are fine giving price quotes on any piece of the bike if you just ask.

:frowning: :frowning: … when I e-mailed them they told me they wouldnt sell a wheel seperate … I even asked at several different stores and they kept saying no :frowning:

I had to contact Kent bicycles directly, I don’t think Walmart stores would be willing to separate the bike. (when I worked there all the bikes we got returned had to go to the scrapyard no exceptions) I saw that someone asked about replacement tires on the faq on Walmart.com and had a reply about having to call the manufacturer directly, so I did and asked for a “replacement” entire front wheel. Worked like a charm.

How much was the tire then?

Yes… I e-mailed kent directly… they told me I had to deal with Walmart… maybe it was at a time when they didnt have spares in yet :confused:

They quoted me $18 plus shipping for a tire.
$5 plus shipping for a tube.
The entire front wheel (tire, rim, tube, hub, everything) was only $55
When I asked if I could buy it without the hub they said they cannot separate the hub and rim (it comes from the factory assembled) and that the rim, tire, and spokes all together were $40 plus shipping.
But you don’t have to take my word for it, the number is 800 451 5368, I don’t remember the hours off hand but it’s on the kent bicycles website.

And if I remember right I think this is a relatively new model, they do not have any of the replacement parts listed online yet, so that could explain why they may not have offered parts earlier when others may have called.