The KH prototype geared MUni. (from moab)

…but it is one of Florian’s isn’t it?

Regarding the new design, does it require a special frame? How does it attach to the bearing holders?

Yes, it’s made by Florian. I don’t know how different the frame was, but the attachment to it was simply friction within the bearing holders. Kris said it hasn’t posed any problem for him yet.

kris was a beast in that movie…

ive never seen kris in a movie before…

neither have i seen anyone go down a trail like that at that speeds! and was he in a normal 24" mode or in a higher gear?

Kris told us that one side was a normal bearing holder and the other side had a sleeve or something like that that connects it to the frame so you don’t have to have the fixed arm like the other geared unis.

sounds sweet. i wish i was a “god of muni” so i could just go and design some flipping sweet unicycle. and than sell a whole bunch.

These are AMAZING. While I already have a 24" MUni, I’m in the market for a Coker. If these are out soon I might go for one on a 29" wheel, which would be the most excellent cross-country/road machine (with big apple) ever. Totally excited, this is so awesome!

Hey,

The geared hub is a collaborative project between Schlumpf and KHU and will be sold in the KH lineup, starting later this year. No fixed date yet but probably towards mid/late summer. Basically it builds on the existing Schlumpf design in ways that I think will be an improvement for Muni and a design improvement in general. It will be available in any size of KH frame.

Some of the differences between it and the existing hub are:
-wider flange-flange spacing (standard 100mm bearing width)
-ISIS spline
-stronger internals
-lever arm located as a sleeve within a standard 42mm bearing housing
-extra wide bearings, actually two 37mm bearings on each side inside a standard 12mm x 42mm casing. This increases frame stiffness by reducing bearing flex.

So far I’ve tested it for about 4 months on the Vancouver North Shore and now at Moab. It has stood up really well, with lots of aggressive riding and drops up to 2 metres (with good transitions), and it feels the same as when I initially installed it. It doesn’t feel discernibly heavier when riding compared to the existing KH24. I haven’t weight the proto but I think it’s probably less than 1/2 lb. heavier than a normal hub- not too much.

The shifter button broke but it was completely my fault- I packed it terribly heading to Moab and a spoke from another unicycle jammed between the shifter button and the frame, bending it in the baggage handling process. I tried to bend it back and broke it. I might still look at some minor changes to strengthen it though.

Shifting is easy and quick on paved terrain (once you are used to it), and quite difficult on bumpy terrain. The 1.5:1 gear ratio is quite high and is mostly useful for fast riding on really easy singletrack or fire roads or on pavement. We could make it less (perhaps 1.3:1) but I think it’s best to keep it high, because many riders will want it for road touring and commutes to/from the trailhead. Riding in high gear feels like a Coker with the manouverability of a KH24- pretty cool.

It will be a bit more expensive than the existing Schlumpf, which remains a very good choice for on-road riding. No fixed price yet but the goal is to have it around US$1600 to US$1700 including the uni. Sounds expensive but a few years ago a regular KH24 was almost this much =).

Kris

Will future non-geared KH hubs be moving to ISIS splines?

So would we be able to just buy the hub and cranks and use it in a previous KH frame and buy the different bearing holder separately? Do you have a ballpark guess of the price of just the hub? If I had a job then I might want to relace one of my wheels with it if I didn’t have to buy the whole new uni.

$1600 to $1700 less cost of KH24 without hub ($520-$217) is ~ $1300 to $1400.

Wow, so the price of just the KH geared hub is the same as or more than the price of a whole schlumph uni. I guess I will wait a couple of years.

That’s pretty cool Kris. I think the speed differences between mountainbikes and MUni’s will narrow significantly :slight_smile: Can’t wait to get one for racing in some of my local mountainbike events-might even be competitive!

By the way, same question as in a couple of posts above, is the KH/Onza hub going to change it’s spline configuration to ISIS at any stage? I’m thinking of getting a KH 29’er, and eventually upgrading all my Uni’s to a splined set up. I don’t want to do that unless there is a low likelihood of spline’s changing (so that the cranks on all my Uni’s remain interchangeable with each other). Will there be a variety of cranks lengths available? I think that as a minimum: 100mm, 110mm, 125, 150s would be useful.

Also, what is the Q-factor on the hub compared to the standard UDC hub?

Ken

It’s a splined hub, so that’s going to cost more.

Would the hub be strong enough for street riding ? like handrails and big stair cases ? I know you did a 2m drop on it but from drops and gaps theres a difference… well to me :slight_smile:

On the contrary, this will be the least expensive splined shiftable MUni on the market.

because there is only one splined shiftable muni on the market:D