The Gower, Wales, Charity bike ride 5th July.

Ta for mobile! I’m hopeless at car navigation :thinking: but have prepared street maps for getting from the outskirts of the Alpha Quadrant… sorry Swansea, to the start line. Look forward to meeting up with you guys.

Up at 7am this morning for the Gower Bike Ride.
I am in top physical shape, bleary-eyed and mildly hungover, fat.
I threw everything in the car and drove to Swansea, getting to the start area around 8.30.
My phone rings and it’s Jeff (Monocyclism) who’s already in the car park wondering where I am.
He spots me when I hold my hands up.
I registered and on the way back I bump into Ian (er… Ian.Stockwell).
I know Ian from the last Snowdon ride and it’s good to see him again.

We geared up and got ready for the start.
Weather is lovely, the sun is shining and there is a bit of a blustery breeze but it’s with us on the way out of the city so we don’t really notice it.
The ride out is nice, we get a lot of positive comments.
We get a little strung out at times, Ian is a speed-merchant, Jeff is still getting used to hills and I’m somewhere in between.
But we stop and regroup and everything’s good.
The horrible Carmarthen road beat me this year.
I managed about three-quarters of the way before my body screamed “Screw this!” at me.
Ian crested it like a polka-dot jersey champion (b*stard) while I waited for Jeff (I was glad of the break).
After the lung-busting trial of Carmarthen Road the route flattened out and in a number of places there were quite enjoyable gradual descents.

Again we got stretched out but I didn’t mind.
It was nice to chat to riders who slowed down to ask questions.
We all met up again at the point where the long route and the short route split.
Ian decided to go on for the long route (which is around 30 miles).
Jeff decided to go for the shorter route (which is around 16 miles).
I had a moment of hesitation and almost went for the longer route, but my arse, lungs, legs and kidneys decided that if I did then they would never speak to me again.
Short route it is then.
And I’m glad I did because it gave Jeff and myself the chance to finish the ride along the Clyne Valley, which is very picturesque and quiet, and more importantly, flat.
This was Jeff’s first chance to ride with other unicyclists and he seemed to really enjoy himself.

We took a nice water break where one of the first-aid guys had a go on my 29, much to the amusement of his colleagues.
After another two miles of sheltered valley riding we burst out of the shade of the trees and arrive at the coast.
Jeff and I take the coastal bike path for the next half mile, stopping for some photos by the bay.
200 yards before the finish we switch onto the road, which has been coned off.
Last year the finish line was horribly muddy and I was very disappointed with myself when I UPD’d twenty yards from the line.
I was determined not to do the same this year and I was quite pleased when I crossed the line with no ungainly falls.
We collect our medals and goodie bags and are accosted by photographers who make us pose like supermodels (well, not quite but you get the idea).

While we’re waiting for Ian to finish the longer course Jeff and I decide to try each others unis on the beach front.
Hilarity ensues.
Jeff gets on his Coker by using a rolling mount.
When he nails it, it looks very elegant and impressive.
I can’t even get on his uni hanging on to a post.
My efforts look like I’m some drunken bum who’s fallen and is trying to drag himself upright.
Jeff leaps on my 29 and rides away first time.
I hate him.
At last I manage to get away from my post and manage a few hundred yards.
Jeez, that thing is heavy!
It’s like a tank on one wheel!
Unsurprisingly Jeff thinks the 29 is great fun and I suspect an order from North Wales will soon be on its way to Roger.
Comment of the day comes from a lady who passes me as I’m trying to mount the Coker by leaning against a wall.
I mess everything up and end up leaning at an angle of 45 degrees while clutching helplessly at the wall.
She catches my eye and I pant “Graceful, huh?”
“Yeah, like a swan,” she replies.

I meet back up with Jeff who takes a million pictures (one or two, I have no doubt, will end up on here).
We bump into Ian in the car park and head back to the finishing field for refreshments.
Ian tells that he had a good ride, but was hit by a bad cramp part of the way through, and that forced him to go easy on the later stages of the ride.
Ian and I chat as Jeff takes the opportunity to ride both our unis around the field.
He’s like a kid on Christmas morning and to be honest, I’m secretly envious of his enthusiasm.
The sunny sky is replaced by clouds as we part.
Good day had by all.

And now the awards.
Most useless phone of the day: me.
Person whose back everyone else saw the most of: Ian.
Most impressive mount: Jeff.
Most likely to have been eaten by a shark off Llangenith beach: Gadge

Sean you have a seriously wicked sense of humour :smiley: and a great vocabulary :sunglasses: - what an excellent write-up :slight_smile: Jeez the Gower was good fun today. Now where are those pics I have to put online…

I agree. That was a fun ride, nothing but supportive comments from the bike riders, beautiful Welsh weather, and good company.
The only down side for me was the cramp, it was soooooo painful. I was just coming up a slight slope towards the end of the ride when I felt a bit of a twinge from both my quads. Should I get off and walk a bit? mmmmmm, yeah that would be a good idea, then BANG. I upd onto the rough grass verge, luckily the uni lands off the road as well, and both my thighs lock absolutely solid. I can do nothing then for at least 5 minutes but just sit there in agony, gritting my teeth until the pain subsides.
Once going again I have to walk down hills as any pressure on the pedals and the quads are threatening to go again. However once back on the falt I’m OK and feeling alright by the time I get to the finish and meet up with the others again.

Looking forward to the photos.

Great write up 'Blue. Sounds like a great day, I wish I could have been there.

And great photos too Mono. The stretch of seafront with Sean on the 36 looks like the first place I met him when I had my N36. I don’t want to know who managed the more graceful dismount though :slight_smile:

Oh, and at first glance, I thought it was a guest appearance from MuniAddict in the top photo. The helmet with the towel hanging over the back of the neck are hist trademark. (Yes, I know that on closer inspection it’s not a towel, but it looked like it at first. To me it did anyway)

STM

:slight_smile:

STM

We met a little further along, about two miles down the road.
And my dismounts on Geoffs Coker were as elegant as a swan landing on a lake filmed in slow-motion.
shifty eyes

Funnily enough, you remember the cyclist that turned around and kept up with you while you rode that day?
I bumped into him at the finish field.
He asked after you and told me to tell you hi.

See?

Elegant as a Russian ballerina.

edit
Note the masterful one-footed riding.

Ah, yes, I do remember him. Not sure if I remember him well enough to recall his name, but Steve springs to mind.

I guess it’s a bit late now, but, can you say Hi back to him for me :slight_smile:

STM

Ooo, this is a bit of a feel-good thread. :slight_smile:

I’m jealous. It beats being dragged around Cheshire Oakes by a man on a mission to buy some sandles.

Yeah, the name Steve does ring a bell.
I’ll tell him you said “hi” back next year.

Get your arse down here for 2010.

Hi Cath, I missed you on the Chester Bikeathon. I was the only unicyclist :frowning: felt a bit lonely. Enjoyed it though and the wind and rain held off. Did you get to Shell Island or Harlech beach?

Woah! that looks like a Yoda technique to me - may the force be with you.

Meant to write Splodge instead of Gadge.

My apologies, especially if you really are inside of a shark.

No wonder I hadn’t heard from him, I was calling him by the wrong name!

Hi Blue,

Only just spotted this. As I write I’m about 80 miles from the sea and definitely NOT inside a shark.

But sounds like you had a good ride.

Hi Gadge, That’s a curious avater your using. Think I remember it as an attempt at a commercial version of a three wheeler. Maybe? If you are/where into microcars you will recognise this. Looks like a good ride you had on Sunday!

bubble2.jpg

Semach, you must have made quite an impression in Swansea, as some guy pulled alongside me at when point and recounted how he had given you directions when you did your long distnace ride.
He remembered that you were on your way to Nottingham.

I guess it must have been your ravishing good looks that made such an impact.:D:D

LOL. Yeah, ummm, must have been my ravishing good looks! I’m sure he must give directions to lots of unicyclists passing through Swansea on their way to Nottingham, so I’m flattered that I’m the one he remembers :smiley:

Actually that’ll be Steve that 'Blue mentioned earlier in this thread. He tagged along with me for about 10 miles or so of my ride, which was quite handy as I’m not sure I would have found the best route out of there otherwise.

STM

Ah yes, I thought we would give it a miss this year as it was almost a hurricane last year and people were blown off their bikes right left and centre. (It didn’t put me off, I’m used to falling off the uni all the time anyway but my son Sam absolutely refused - I’m hoping the trauma will have worn off for next year).

Did you like the route? It’s a path or two that I ride quite regularly.

Yes we did get to Shell Island and it was glorious weather but we were somehow busy doing other things and being sociable and I never actually did any unicycling :o
Next time :slight_smile: