Suspension uni with disc brakes and handlebars!

Like stone soup… get the babe/unicycle, throw away the unicycle, keep the babe. :sunglasses:

Re: Suspension uni with disc brakes and handlebars!

the only thing this is the future of is…

Bedford’s shirt line :slight_smile:

Apparently these unicycles are for sale. They are made in China (surprize!) and cost 28,381 Yen. The website isn’t very helpful to non-Japanese speakers but features a photo of the aforementioned babe now sitting on the contraption, scratching her head. Maybe she’s wondering how to ride it or why it was even built in the first place.

For general info, here’s a link to an english translation: english. Its just done in google, so its not perfect, however it gives you the jist.

Major points of note:
“The MAX challenger < Postage no charge >”
“A certain practicing, it reached the point where it can ride and others, also it is possible to remove the auxiliary wheel.”
Also 28,381 Yen is £150! I’m sorry, but why not? The ‘training’ wheel on the back is unboltable, making it an amazing unicycle for the price!

Loose.

Also, just another note after looking through the site more… It seems they only ship within japan: “Sells only of the Japanese country in regard to the commodity of this shop. In regard to the order from the foreign country being not to be able to receive acknowledgement.”

Loose.

The wheel is cool. Not practical, but it looks good, and it probably feels like riding with a really big soft tire.

The rest of the thing would have to be replaced, except maybe for the brake.

Removing the auxiliary wheel would be cool, although then you’d have no disk brake… :smiley:

I dont get it? You want to ride the little wheel? :thinking:

I was joking by pretending to think that the term “auxiliary wheel” applied to the bigger of the two wheels.

I know, kinda lame… :roll_eyes:

Has anyone seen this bike?

http://www.gadgetuniverse.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe?T1=TH+379&FNM=25&UID=2005060806295134&GEN9=

In one place it claims to have a 1:1.96 transmission and in another place it says it has a direct drive.

You mean cranks on the hub? BS no. 1.

Caught in the pedal? You mean chain. BS no. 2.

All brakes have pads. What type is the rear? Drum or Caliper? BS no. 3.

The General Info Page also states it has a ‘full alloy frame’ yet the specifications page says its ‘6061 Steel’. BS no. 4

Website, designed by an idiot & totally incomplete. BS no. 5.

Nice idea, shame about all the crap.

Loose.

I should imagine the drive-ratio refers to the crank length to wheel radius ratio, so it could both be 1:1.9 or whatever and also direct drive. But the rest is crap.

I read it differently. First, there is no good reason to ride a penny-farthing made of low-end bike parts. I’ll be too slow. But then I saw (and loosemoose seemed to miss):

Transmission: Gear Box with DSL

Speed Ratio: 1:1.96

Sounds like a Schlumpf-type hub in there, don’t you think? The question is, how strong is it? Can it take being used on a unicycle?

I don’t know what that web page is doing, but it was constantly downloading something the whole time I had it open, with the scrollbar jumping up and down slightly.

I don’t know why you would want to sit on top of the 12" wheel, when you have a 26" wheel up front. Bumpy! But less likely to do headers…

Looks to me like the gearing is inside the fork, rather than in the hub. I don’t think the hub is big enough.

There is a gearbox in the end of the fork, correct. They call it a DSL system, and it consists of 4 gears, a large one connected to the crank that then goes to a small one connected to another large one, that then goes back to a small one connected to the wheel. The cranks aren’t directly attached to the hub, it goes though this gearing setup. Good for speed, and makes the bike a lot more practical. It also looks like a lot of fun. I’m just saying that without finding the website (it took a bit of googling) and looking carefully at all the technical illustrations, its very unclear what you are getting. However, the gearing seems to be an accurate statement, and may even see a practical use in a unicycle (although I wouldn’t like to put too much weight or torque through the cranks).

Loose.

gear setup.jpg