Super steep 4.20.24

I met a local from San Pedro on Saturday (4.20.24) who filmed me climbing this little-known monster hill, so there are no cuts, and the person filming followed along as I went up, which gives the viewer a good sense of just how massively steep this hill is.

At over 31% grade, this little-known walk path shares company with the top-10 steepest streets on Earth! It’s 293 feet long with 93 feet elevation gain. This means that each time the (24") wheel makes just a single revolution, I’ve climbed another 2 full feet! And because this walk path is so narrow, it must be ridden straight up, with no zigzag option.

I didn’t think it would be possible to make it all the way up, and my first attempt failed just short of the top when I accidentally ran into ice plant growing onto the path, which narrowed the width to less than 1 foot! I was already pretty tired out after that first go, but decided to try it again.

This video shows my second and final attempt. I think only sheer willpower kept me going. You can also hear the person following me breathing quite heavily as we near the top.

17 Likes

I was expecting your heart to explode just before you got to the top. You’re such an animal!! I want to be at least a little like you when I grow up. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

as a somewhat younger unicyclist who has been struggling to defeat a local 11ish percent grade hill, MAD respect

1 Like

You continue to amaze and inspire me Terry, year after year. Congrats!! Keep it up.

1 Like

Great ! What crank length did you use and do you think it was the optimal crank length?

2 Likes

Well, I had always used 150s on the steepest climbs using my 24-in wheel, but for this hill I used 165’s to give me that little added leverage to get over a few areas where the concrete was tilted up to 35%.

3 Likes

You are making us “young” guys (Ok, I am 46! :stuck_out_tongue: ) look bad. But that is fine, keep it up!

1 Like