Street Skill Levels

Yeah, I think maybe 4 stairs would be good?

I wote for 3 steps. :slight_smile:

well, is lvl 5 the last level or the middle one ? but I do think 3 stair on a 360 is good enough

I think there should be ten levels. When the original ten-level system was devised, it was generally assumed the skills on level 10 were next to impossible. I think only one person could pass it at the time (sem abrams).

So, I think you guys should look to the level of the best street rider going currently, and then make what he can do level 8. Then fill out the next two levels with stuff noone can do yet (or stuff you’d like to see done :wink: ), and fill out the levels like that.

I also think the Street Levels should be by and large more difficult than the standard 10, because you’ll be starting from a base of level four or five, and that will keep the challenge going.

yes? no?

p.s. - maybe john foss could shed some light on how the original levels were developed, and what sorts of methods (other than 'I think this is harder for most people) were used to determine which skills fell into which levels, and how the lengths for any given skill were developed, and possibly even a ‘flow’ requirement or something, which requires the skills to look nice when performed, as well as a definition of what a ‘stair’ is and what acceptable deviations are.

I don’t know anything about the actual tricks, but I’m sure that using the good points of the existing rubric will result in somethng that could become a standard in years to come.

-Dave

My intention was that the levels would go to lvl. 10.
I filled em up to lvl.5 beacuse I couldn´t judge how hard the tricks are after that beacuse I’m not good enough street rider.

So basicly what I wanted was that more experienced street riders such as you could do lvl. 6 - 10 for me :wink:

I think we need to start working on a list of names not like a name per trick but here is an example.
Any thing done riding backwards is called: what
Spinning to your left is: front side or backside?
Spinning to your right is: Front side or backside
hoping over something( a rail) to do a tick on the other side(grind) is called= ?
If someone can do a double crankflip during a 360 uni-spin is called= double flip uni spin?
what would it be called if it was dubble filp in a 540 uni spin?
What is jumping off the unicycle spinning you body to land backwards on the unicycle called?
What would the above tick be called if you hop up onto the tire the hop back down to the pedals landing backwards?

Also what are all the tricks dan does in the beginning of Defect?? :thinking:

My idea behind doing something a list like this would be riders like Shawn, Dan, and other could land a new trick and be able to call it something and have everyone know what the trick is.

Street skills

This is digging into a never ending pit. There are soo many different kinds of tricks. Good luck, i’ll help with the editing, I don’t like anythign static, that’s not street that’s freestyle. So yeah, if there is something static on there once and not the next time, I probably got rid of it. sorry, lol. The no footer is outta it’s league for level 5. Shifties are cake compared to no footers. But yeah. To fully cover eveyrthing will be impossible, but yeah, we’ll bust the best thigns possible. Maybe an idea is to break it down, with a skill level with just the flip tricks. I’ll start that actaully, see how that works. ha, sorry. laters

-Shaun Johanneson

I think static is very much street.

If not, than almost all of Dan Heatons section in Defect is freestyle, as well as half of some of the rest of it.

Riding backwards is called fakie, frontside and backside depend on what you are more comfortable with (the uncomfortable spin is backside). if you hop over a rail to grind the other side, I don’t know what that is called (ask a good BMXer, cause I just ride for fun)

I think there should be a mix of static and moving tricks. They look really cool, as well as being something different from the flying down sets of stairs stuff that makes up the majority of street tricks. Having something ‘different’ would definitely help flesh out the skills of any rider climbing the levels.

Here’s some boring suggestions. Boring has its uses; it’s easy to translate to other languages, and it’s even easy for people in the original language to figure it out…

For backwards, why not call it “backwards?”
Frontside and backside come from sports where you don’t face straight ahead. There is no difference between turning to the left and right on a unicycle, unless it’s connected to pedal position or some other variable. So I’m not sure if any name is needed there. When we say spin or pirouette (or a number of other skills), it doesn’t matter which direction.

For the one where the unicycle rotates, we call it a 180 unispin. A sensible name for that would be a “body 180” or similar.

Using the old naming system, it would be something like a “body 180 with tire touch.” That’s when those names start getting too cumbersome. So I don’t think “straight” names should be used for every move.

The original 4 levels (1979, Jan Layne) I don’t know much about. She may have just worked them out on her own, or within her club. They used to contain some props and a speed element, making them more eclectic. When we started developing the 10 levels in the mid-80s the idea was to make it easier for people to practice all the levels indoors. This was because that’s where we rode if we were lucky enough to have access, and where people were most likely to be level tested. So we removed the "ride a mile in under 8 minutes. This made them even more Freestyle/flatland oriented. Remember, they were intended as generic levels for a “regular” unicycle at the time. Since then things have gotten much more specialized.

For the 10 levels, Sem sent a survey to riders all around the world asking them to rank the relative difficulty of a long list of tricks. Something like that. The final list was a community project with lots of riders involved, and took perhaps a year or more to complete. Some changes were made since then, as obvious sticking points were observed for people trying to pass some of the levels.

Lengths? Not sure what you mean, but if it’s how far or how many repetitions, some was based on the Standard Skill event(?) and some on what was thought to show the necessary level of mastery.

The reason there is no flow requirement is that it’s very hard to specify what “looking nice” is, and it’s just real hard for people to do it on their own. It’s hard enough to explain all the details of the tricks on the list.

Yes, for things like stairs, you have to define their size. For best results, this should be based on a set of minimum (or maximum) dimensions for step and riser. Don’t forget to use metric units.

Whatever fexnix said, it’s usually not a good idea to just go about removing sections you don’t like from the unicyclopedia because it is supposed to be somewhat objective and the page will just get reverted anyway. I.e. try to add content, not remove content.

For example it is usually better to add something about that some people do not really consider static tricks to belong in street unicycling, although they may be a stepping stone to something else, instead of removing the section itself :slight_smile:

I agree with unifreak7, this process is getting really slow and almost pointless. I think we should try and get a serious progress if we want something good out of the levels. This is my suggestion for a process.

First we get a good long list of tricks that we would consider street.

Then we make a post or keep this one and try and get as many people as possible to submit their ten levels.

Once we have say 50 lists, we average them out.

Now we will have a basic list. Finally we could either keep it the way it is, vote on whether or not to keep the list, or just try and change small things that everyone agrees get messed up with the averaging.

most of what dan heaton does in defect i would call flatland not street. and i really don’t see what the point of having skill levels for street is.

isnt that a blunt grind? that maybe has been said and it may not be right but thats what i think

What’s the point of having skill levels for standard skill either? It’s nice to be able to have a relative difficulty scale of the most common tricks, and a way to judge the skill of a rider in at least some fashion beyond ‘are you good?’

not only that, but it provides a roadmap for people (like me) who would like to know what a good progression of skills is so they can get to a decent level of skill in an efficient way.

I like what’s up there already. If someone could fill out the levels to ten, and perhaps we could use the wiki or some other method to discuss what skills should be added, removed, or moved as people try out the levels (and these decisions would have to be based on more than one account of ‘this skill is easier than that skill’), given some time there should be a pretty good list of street skills for anyone to follow. If noone more knowledgeable than myself is willing to take this on, then I totally will; I’m really interested in seeing this idea come to completion.

So we have street, freestyle, AND flatland?

It’s street as far as I’m concerned.

360 unispin to 8 stair handrail grind.

theres my dream trick, that i would class level 10.

how is it street? call it what ever you want freestyle or flatland. but when most of your riding is done on FLAT ground it’s not street.

And as far as using a skill level to decide how good a rider is, that’s just silly.
Don’t judge a street rider by which of the most “common tricks” he or she can do.
I just think it doesn’t make sense to judge riders with some kind of set criteria in an activity that is supposed to be about beingcreative and having style

more like class impossible to me… haha