Spoke problem I am having trouble fixing [FIXED! IT WAS CRANKS!]

I had a clicking noise on my 36 that only went away after I switched to a socket wrench with hex key to tighten it. I could not get it tight enough with the hex key alone.

1 Like

And you used spacers I assume and used the 3-5 mm gap?

Can you perhaps share a link to the socket set? What about a socket makes it get tighter? I have a long handled key.

Dang it. I think @finnspin is correct. I think it is the cranks. Took me a while to wrap my head around the cranks, thought I had it figured, and now I have more questions.

So, I went and gorilla tightened them again, and while there is less creaks, there is still some in the left.

1. This must mean that there is space (i.e. not a great fit) between the crank and the hub.
  2. I should probably re-install and likely after measuring the gap will use less spacer, right?
  3. With this logic, is the inevitable fate on a long enough timeline that the crank and/or hub will wear out? I don’t mean like geologic time lol, but you get the idea.

Thanks again so much.

It’s the torque you can apply. They’re longer and easier to grip. I have an old Sears Craftsman set, but almost anything will do. Here’s a random one off of Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Drive-Ratchet-Handle/dp/B07PH34JYY/ref=asc_df_B07PH34JYY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343238556392&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1041110936251755953&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031936&hvtargid=pla-698669345209&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=66485480062&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343238556392&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1041110936251755953&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031936&hvtargid=pla-698669345209

Then you get hex socket bit like this:

But you don’t want to over do this as you can apply a lot of torque…

1 Like

Ok thank you. I bought long handled hex wrenches which I thought would fix the problem (the stock wrench was too short for me too). I might grab a set like this. Not sure I understand the benefit beyond the long handle, but thats okay.

Thank you!!

That is the first thing I’d do. If the cranks are loose, thinner spacer washers would likely help more then increasing the torque on the crank bolts.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thats what I am gonna do. I wonder how much damage I did. Can I see the damage? Is it easy to tell? Just worn edges and the like?

FWIW I just diagnosed my 29er with the exact same spoke sounding noise to be loose seat bolts. I only heard the sound under heavy acceleration, and my spokes were slightly loose so I tightened them up nicely and the sound was unchanged. So I went around checking stuff and the uni was upside down at one point and I twisted it and saw the seat move and snap back. Well I had been riding a handle extension I made that’s very similar to a Ursli extension and it puts a good deal of twisting force into the seat. Apparently enough to break free of the bolts in a few weeks. So that sound really could be anything, but it seems like you have it narrowed down to cranks, and a thinner spacer should do the trick.

1 Like

I don’t know if you can see any damage. However if you remove the crank bolt and the crank can be removed easily without a puller, you will know the the joint is too loose.

1 Like

Pedals ?

2 Likes

Every mystery sound I’ve ever had has ended up being pedals, as in pedal bearings. I’ve changed spokes, re built wheels, swapped disks… and it was the pedal !

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Gonna redo the cranks tomorrow. I will follow up!

2 Likes

Ummm yeah I did not know about this. Amazing. Thank you!

1 Like

Feel free to update the list if you find out something :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to follow up for anyone reading this 10 years from now. It was the cranks. I was wrong BUT I am grateful for everyone chiming in. Among others, @finnspin was right. Also, there was no damage as far as I can tell. I’ve ridden a few hours. No noises or anything. Took the spacers down to 4.5 mm after measuring the gap.

I typically increase my level of riding when I start to get strange sounds out of my unicycles and replacing the first part that breaks has always gotten rid of the noise.

1 Like