South West Uni meet-Exeter, UK, October 23rd

I have just got back from Lyme Regis with Alan’s giraffe in tow; Alan says he might come along at some point too.

Lots of illuminatingy goodness is awaiting fixing on the unicycle, but it’s really windy rainy and cold outside so it can wait until tomorrow morning, methinks…

Phil

I think I need a bigger car it took 20 minutes to work out how to fit:

29", 20", 18", 16", bike for 4YO, Mini bike & tool kit (required to re-assemble the above!).

I plan to fit the lights after hockey and when I decide what the kids will be taking on the procession, the 6YO probably wants to take the Uni and I am not sure the 4YO has the stamina for a mini bike at the end of a UniMeet, he was worn out last Sunday after a 0.75mile training ride.

See you all tomorrow.

KEG

i will be there tomorrow for the unimeet but unfortuantly can’t make it to the carnival as i’m off to London early next morning

can’t wait till the meet will be great to see everyone again and meet other one wheelers and learn (try to!) soem new skills

see you there!

Well, it happened. The SW Uni meet is over for now. Many thanks to all who came and took part .
About 50 riders attended ( plus a smattering of complete begginners). I’m sure some of them will post more details! 36 people played hockey, lots of people took their UUU Level 1 and 2 tests and people kept Miark and Roger busy with selling uni bits and bobs and doing repairs.

The Honiton Carnival in the evening was attended by a smaller group ( 15 ish riders), mostly fairly local people. The star of the group was Toni ( aged 6) who rode further than she had ever done before. The uni trailer that I was towing behaved OK untill it broke down! The hitch onto the uni was fine, but the attachment of tow bar onto trailer didn’t stand up to all the twisting. Ho Hum. Still we were most of the way along the parade before that happened and after a quick lash up repair Miark was able to hand tow it the rest of the way.

The Next South West Uni Meet will be on Feb 12th 2005
at the same place - Priory high School, Exeter. 12-6pm.

keep an eye on http://www.uk.unicyclist.com for info on that and other SW unicycle meet events.

Sarah

Always aiming for consistency, this time I took two left pedals. This means that on average I have taken exactly the right pedals for every ride. Perfect. However it got even weirder when Miark sold me a pair of pedals that both happened to be right ones. Properly sealed in the wrapping and whatnot, it must be extremely uncommon but rather convenient!

The unimeet was excellent; loads of people and piles of unicycles. Highlights for me was meeting several new people from the south west, slightly improving my giraffe freemounts (about 1 in 5 now…) and trying North’s crazy coasting unicycle. I don’t know how he can ride it, I can’t even get on the thing…

The carnival was spectacular. We arrived just before 7pm in the pouring rain, as it had been all day; it was looking a rather miserable night to ride up and down Honiton high street. However as luck would have it the rain stopped and we set off, unicycles glowing from an assortment of glowsticks, lights and whatnot.

Riding in a parade really is something else; we got loads of support before even reaching the middle of town. Just riding around was great fun, and little group tricks went down really well.

Some of the other entries were very humbling; we must have spent all of half an hour maximum applying lights, whereas the larger floats must have spent months. When they went by it was like daylight coming down the high street. Impressive stuff.

Phil

Thanks Sarah & Barbara for organising a great UniMeet, the three of us had a great time.

Both Toni & Danny rode for the first time yesterday (i.e. more than 5 metres unaided), by the end of the meet they could push off from the wall and ride unaided.

Danny appears to have started to practice riding one foot riding (or did I click as he was starting to fall?!?). Hopefully image is attached.

Keith

imgp1785_edited.jpg

Which made it failry un-surpriseing that we didn’t win any prizes last night. The best overall prize went to Vampire wedding who were just finishing as we started walking back down the hill. We just didn’t have the wattage to compete!
Twas fun tho.
Sarah

I was really sorry to miss the parade but the day was great.

Thanks for organising it, a great first meet for me & I can’t wait to see what Phil forgets next time! :wink:

Yes, great fun. Thanks. Quite a novelty riding inside (I’d never done that before) and with other unicyclists, so no stupid remarks every few minutes :slight_smile:

Probably see you again sometime.

Rob

Thanks Sarah & Barbara, good fun.

Reminds me of Sem’s no footed riding picture (a bit :slight_smile: ):

http://www.unicycling.com/things/index.htm

Lost property after SWUM

There is a small ammount of lost property found in the hall at the end of the meet.

1 grey hooded top - youth/child size
1 red hooded top - youth/child size
1 light brown sweat shirt with white writing on - probadly belongs to Micheal as his name sticker was on it. also youth/child size

1 picnic set- plastic lunch boxes, oat cakes, green bottle, apples etc in a morrisons bag.

Anybody want to claim them as their own. Please mail or phone or PM me with more details. I will not be keeping the apples. The oat cakes have a limited life too!

Sarah