Show us your paint job

That looks great!

2 Likes

No, just “professional” spraypaint with a 2-component high gloss finish.

1 Like

I took my KH26er frame to a local powder coater and am very happy with the results.
I’ll leave it alone for a few days to let the paint harden and then reassemble the uni.
I also plan on having some vinyl graphics printed to complete the job.

This angle shows the bolts in the holes to prevent them from clogging up, thus avoiding needing a retap

The screws after removing them carefully

I’ll post another pic when it’s reassembled (no rush as my arm is still broken :rofl: :joy:
I’ll also post one once it’s completely finished.

10 Likes

Excellent colour. Just like my nimbus trials :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here are two. The Nightfox was done with just a couple of rattle cans from the auto parts store. I’ve found that’s about the best place to get affordable paint in different colors and finishes as a good one will have a large selection of touch up paint designed to match the color of auto finishes. The 26” club was done with a 4 color chromatic paint that I had to order from a place called Kustom Kans. It’s got a 2K clear coat on it as well.

13 Likes

They both turned out great!

1 Like

They look pretty good from a few feet away. I didn’t make either one of them show quality though. There are more than a few imperfections, but I figured that unicycles that get ridden live a rough life and neither of these are going to look pristine three months from now.

1 Like

Looks great! I really want a rim painted with a color shift paint like your 26", I think it should produce some fun visual effects. (I’d probably go for a Nissan midnight purple 3).

1 Like

That doesn’t stand out as much as you’d think. The colors shift as the unicycle moves and the light hits it from different directions, but when the wheel spins the colors on the rim itself stay in the same location, which kind of gives the impression that the rim is stationary, except you can see the spokes and tire rotating. Certain car wheels are much better at creating that illusion of a stationary wheel.

Painting the wheel was actually easier than I thought it would be. I stripped it down to its components and then sanded, primed, painted and clear coated it. The whole process went pretty swiftly and was pretty uneventful. You want to do it in a shady area, outdoors on a warm dry day as the 2K clear coat is very toxic stuff.

1 Like

WOW! These paint jobs are nice! Have any of you tried LumiLor or Ellumiglow on your unicycles? How about Cerakote?

1 Like

I’ve seen this on motorcycle parts before but just black - does it come in colours too?

1 Like

They sure do. Plus, you can mix customize your own colors.

1 Like

Recent paint job on my 29". The colour doesn’t come out the best in the photo but it’s a deep magenta to match my Mad4One Techno frame.

3 Likes

white zip ties, boo :-1:

1 Like

Another good paint company is Spectra Chrome. However, that one might be overkill if you paint the entire frame in that.

Awwww, I just thought of another cool ideal for a unicycle! Metal Etching!! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

How about damascus? :grin:

2 Likes

Oh, wouldn’t that look cool!? :sunglasses: I don’t know much about it though. How easy would that be to do?

1 Like

For a steel uni, I’d be worried about rust.

1 Like

Oh, OK. Well, if they just was interested in the look/texture, a hydro dip might do the job. :thinking:

1 Like