shoes?

anyone out there use zigtech?

reebok-zig-dynamic-sneakers.jpeg

I got a pair would NEVER ride them on the uni. they would last 15min with my pedals

I wear DCs I’ve worn them for years starting back when I rode BMX and have never gone away from them

I am looking at some dcs. what pair do you have?

I have the Tonic and Pure at the moment but age probably had a dozen pairs over the years

I used to ride in my Shimano AM40 shoes. They are perfectly protecting my ankle bone (which I hitting a lot) and get really good traction with pedals. By changing sole you can choose hardness for different purposes.

five-tens are awesome

nike 6.0 mogan mid 2!

Split-sole

Boxing shoes are my favorite, they are really comfortable and padded.

Adidas Terrex Solo’s for me, they’re actually a hiking/climbing shoe but are perfect for riding in. Pricey in the shops but I got a B grade pair off eBay for £45, B graded because the transfer inside the shoe at the heel was the wrong way around on one of them!

barefoot alternative

I love my vibram five fingers, its like being barefoot but things don’t hurt. I don’t think they would be good for trials as they lack the impact resistance to save your feet, but they are incredibly responsive and give a unique tactile feedback. it takes a bit to get used to them but once you do its like they are not even there. :smiley:

I’m vey happy with my Five Ten Freerides for all types of riding. Sticky and firm soles, comfortable, durable, stylin’ :sunglasses: …plan to get another pair whenever these wear out.

My vote also goes for Five Ten - love my High Impacts 2 for MUni, gives me confidence, ankle support etc. - For anything less aggressive, 20" uni riding then I wear my Supra Vaiders - they are excellent all round, pedal feel and cushion, support :slight_smile:

Tuppence worth! :smiley:

I have the 5.10 danny macaskill’s and they are perfect for street and muni, I would give them a 9 out of 10.

I’ve been trying some OP Men’s Drag 3 Skate Sneakers I got from my local haute couturier for a whole $16. I’m liking them a lot. The look good and feel comfortable, not as tank-like as the Vans Shrapnels I started out with but more padded and supportive than the Nike 6.0 Zoom Mogans I also have.

A friend asked if I thought they’d last very long. I asked him why I should care.

+1 on cheap trainers :roll_eyes:
I found these cheap skate trainers in our local sports shop at just £15…British Knights Skate Shoes…they’re like normal high top canvas sneakers but are made of some form of vinyl so are vaguely water resistant for the off-roading. The high tops give me a little ankle protection too. They’re rather thin soled but seem to be unmarked by the metal pins in the pedals. At this price I could buy a new pair every couple of months!

UL

Cheers UL, just bookmarked those :slight_smile:

Currently wearing Lonsdale’s for 2 reasons.
Firstly I’m flat footed (very little arch) and these seem to work well when most make my feet ache. A normal arch support for most would feel huge and uncomfortable for me.
Secondly I’m not a fashion follower and hate spending lots on clothes/shoes. Lonsdale’s are usually £20. Mine are now slick on the soles so I’m slipping about.

Now I’ve had a bit of time riding with my cheap trainers I find them to do the job quite nicely. I have noted they’re quite thin soled…I can really feel the pedals through them and they slide over the pedal pins more easily but so far I’ve found those to be good attributes. My last pail of trail walking shoes were a little stiff and the ridged soles didn’t allow for any foot repositioning.
It has made me wonder whether trainers with a heal would help in getting my foot positioned on the pedal in a more consistent fashion.
Do people prefer flat or healed soles and why?

UL

I don’t necessarily have a preference. It doesn’t really matter since I ride on the balls of my feet, rather than the arches where the heel would provide a stop against the pedal. My usual riding shoes have flat soles, but I have ridden in work boots, which have heels, without issue.

I have read that having heels can cause trouble getting away from the uni in a UPD, though I don’t recall specifically observing that myself.

It’s true. One time I had a high speed 36er UPD that knocked a shoe off. The only way I can see this happening is that the heel caught on the pedal when I fell. In this case though I wasn’t hurt, just the ditch that I landed in had a big stripe in it. :o