Shaving a TRY-ALL tyre bald

I don’t see much riding in all the vids, only hopping around!

Seriously, all the bike trialers can’t be stuck on knobbies (so to speak). Why hasn’t a tire maker offered a slick sticky trials tire by now?

So my shaved Tryall is finally showing quite a bit of threads. I shaved it some time in june, and minus about 2.5 months it has been ridden 1-5 hours everyday since then. I prolly could have rotated a little sooner, but there are only a couple spots left. Id say I only got 3 months of hard riding on it. Im sure it pays off to be a bit more carefull while razor knifing the nubs off.

Also I just want to add that: shaved tire + skatelite = very slippery. Im sure it doesnt help that I have lack of rubber in spots, but If you plan to ride indoor parks with skatlite, I recomend having nubbies.

Im dying to get my luna from darren so i can do this.

I just put a normal tryall on my uni because my shaved one was getting too worn down. I didn’t rotate it that often but I have a few times. I don’t mind a non-shaved tire so I probably won’t shave another one anytime soon.

Just do it to your CC. Mine’s holding up fine and I really like it.
If you deflate the tyre you’ll feel the the top of the tyre is obviously made of a harder compound because it’s harder to bend then the sidewalls.

Just do it.

My uni has a Maxxis and look how sexy it is.

who put screws thru their tyre for snow riding.?? and maxxis now makes car tyres too.

Maxxis made those a long time ago I think :thinking:

Peter M

or you could just call Maxxis and convince them to make a 3 in wide hookworm:

I’m starting to shave my try all tire right now. I can already tell its gonna take a while

Get ready for some blisters. :stuck_out_tongue:

does the tire need to be mounted on a rim and tube and everything? Because I’m doing it with just the tire and its taking soo long mainly because it keeps flexing. Also what kind of sand paper is best?

I did mine on the uni, all pumped up… I think it might be easier that way, tho I only tried that way so I cant really tell you.

If you want to do a nice sanding job use an orbital sander with like a 40-60 grit(to get the big bumps), then finish with 80-120 to smooth it all out.

You def want to sand it on the rim with air.

Alright well thanks anyways. I tried using an oscilating sander but I don’t think its going to work. I guess I’m just gonna have to hand sand it

Haha yeah its pretty bad doing it with just the tire but I JUST put on my CC and don’t feel like taking it back off. Picture didn’t work by the way

Damn, nice picture. Tire looks good also. Well thanks for the help, now I’m gonna go back out and attack that tire with some razor blades and sandpaper

Orbital sander worked perfect for me… Not as well as sanding wood, but worked fine… although I do have years of house painting experience. The trick is to hit one bump then hit the next before the first is done. When you allow the rubber to cool a bit it will sand better. Keep going around until your bumps are gone.

what are the benifits of a shaved tire… i know its been answered before but i am lazy…

If you know its been said then GO SEARCH. You are not a noobie, just because someone might tell you now doesnt make it okay to be lazy. What the hell… I personally have written quite a bit on this topic. Many other even more well know riders have also written on this topic.

Do yourself and all of us a favor and look it up. Maybe somebody will post links with all the pretty little red letters highlighting all the key words…

…Lazy, pfff.

I’m speechless, I don’t even really know what to say to you. Seriously… if you can tell us that you know its been discussed then you can definitely go look if you care that much.