Second Day of Practice Video

awww…wish you didnt live so far away…we could be rolling 3 deep on our badass unis!!

Haha, I just need to convince one of my friends with better balance than me, that way they can catch up to me, cuz I aint stoppin!!! :slight_smile:

You can be jealous of the others, but not me. I only got my Torker last Friday. I’ve been riding since Saturday, but I need to say that when I was 12 I learned to wobble down a few houses on a unicycle. It’s been 37 years and while I didn’t learn to freemount or turn I still had that experience to draw from. I’m happy with my accomplishments so far, but I’m not worthy of your jealousy. Just wanted to make that clear. I’m “jealous” of Dane. He’s already hopping. Even next to a wall that is hard. How the heck do you hop, jump, go off a curb?

I didn’t say I was hopping high or far, over rocks in the road and stuff, little 2 inch drops. I can roll, stop, and hop in place about 5 times and then I fall over. I can mount and hop about 5 times and then fall over. Roll, stop, hop once or twice and then roll forward again. Nothing terribly exciting. As for riding off a curb, just go for it, that’s what I did. I rode down my 2 porch steps too, I didn’t get it on my first try, but I got it after a while. And then once I got it I decided not to do it again until I was a bit better… haha.

I’m sure you have a friend with a camera capable of video. You need to post your accomplishments. I would love to see you go off a curb or steps, hop, even fall over. Do you wear gear?

I wear gloves, and jeans for the time being. I’ve been looking around for a bike shop that carrys good shin and knee armor, but so far the only one I found was 20 bucks overpriced. I wear my helmet if I try to go backwards or do anything I shouldn’t be attempting yet haha. I have a lot of hair, so riding with a helmet on when all I’m doing is riding up and down the street is kinda pointless, I just get super sweaty.

It’s been one week since I got the Torker and now the Nimbus. I am really sore and tired today. I can’t believe how wiped out I feel. One sore knee, tingly toes (like when your foots asleep), stiff upper body, and a sore right forearm. It doesn’t seem like it should be that taxing. I guess it’s all the concentration and tensing up. I’ll probably just sit and practice idling today while watching a movie or something. Sure has been fun though.

You should be sore, riding uni is a big time work out! My knees are sore, plus my back just hurts from time to time, so that’s sore, and I get the tingly toe thing too, though not as much now. My arms don’t hurt though. The inside of my right thigh is rashed from hopping too much, and from pulling my seat out to ride seat in front.

My legs just get tired now. My low back doesnt ache anymore. Sometimes below the knee on my shins start to ache or my ankles start to ache a touch from jumping off it. But its not bad at all. Just my quads give going up hills at times! I also dont ride hours a day, yet lol. I might not stop once I can ride a mile. :smiley:

with all the other stuff I’ve been teaching myself, riding normally is very comfortable now, it’s completely sub-conscious, a very nice feeling.

I have extremely flat feet, and just recently I got new custom shoe inserts, with extra cushioning for sports, and then I got a nice new pair of newbalances, with a great stiff heelcup. And I don’t have any more feet problems, it’s great. If your feet are hurting, maybe try a nice new pair of shoes, or a pair of shoe inserts (There are some really cheap good ones at shoe places)

With the new uni, I dont have to think about sidewaays balance now. Its much easier. Just the forward/back balance, esp. on hills. My feet are fine. Just the jumping down on them sometimes I feel the impact on my ankles. My legs are a touch tired today but I’m going to practice before work!

Took yesterday off. My whole body felt tired with a sore knee and half my butt was sore. Just half. LOL. Today I rode for three miles. I rode to a school and rode around the dirt track. Then I rode across a couple of bumpy grassy fields. It was a lot easier than I thought. The last half mile I was getting pretty tired. Weird with all the mountain and road biking I do. I think it’s mostly mentally exhausting. I do need to get something for my feet. They got numb/sore/tired the most.

Sounds like fun!

I was setting up little obstacle courses on my street. i had a 8 foot board (8 inches or so wide) and I was hopping on it and riding along it and then hopping off the other end (This was good practice because I was jumping off a different foot at the end vs the start of the board.) After a while this got boring, so I went and found some more boards, and was seeing how far I could jump off the end of the big board. After that got boring I started to raise up the board, the highest jump up I made was 5 inches, then rode along the board, and jumped off the end (6 inches high, and a foot long jump.)

Not a bad start =)

I rolled my ankle at one point, but not even from riding, I was just walking with my uni beside me and I rolled it, it’s really sore now, and it’s difficult to walk, I put ice on it for a while, just to make sure it doesn’t swell up. I hope I feel ok tomorrow, I have to go to classes and do some photo assignments.

OMG, 3 miles? Thats awesome! You both are doing awesome. I’m slowly progressing. My goal is to do that by May. I’m just riding around the parking lot for now. Least I’m getting turning. I would like to figure out how to hop on it soon as that seems like too much fun!! I only rode 25 mins yesterday because my legs were shot and it was really wet and cold outside after work, but hope to get in a good ride today as tomorrow is surgery so no uni.

OK yal, I am way behind but had a big weekend. I am able to ride like 50-70ft now and am finally learning to adjust for the steep crown in the road where I am practicing! I think I might have progressed faster but for the crown and falling into it all the time, I now can get onto the middle of the road and ride and then just lose it after a few seconds…I will get it soon!
I did take a huge fall last night, I only went a couple of feet and the next thing I knew I was up in the air with my feet above my head? I watched the 26" uni do a spin in the air the crash to the ground 10ft away??? Luckily I was wearing my wrist guards or it would have been a broken wrist. As it was not a scratch but I was really shaken and had to spend another 15 minutes to get back to where I was before the crash. I still don’t know how I got my Uni 3ft off the ground and spinning through the air?

Yal are doing great…I will be very happy when I can make to the end of my street.

You’ll be doing it in no time!

Glad your OK! Thats why I havent tried free mounting yet as I dont want any crazy falls. I’ll wait til I MUST free mount. I get a little further everyday. And a little more comfortable on it. It seems to slowly be progressing for me. But a little slower then these other newbies on this thread! I’m having a BLAST though. People take their lunch break now to watch me lol.

Ya I hear you CBS, I am up to 25 hours and I am so ready to “get it” and start going for rides instead of practicing. I wasn’t free mounting when I fell, I was just leaving the side of my car when the fun started…never did that before and am hoping it doesn’t happen again. I am also having a blast and am very excited to go on that ride with my daughter…she says she will be faster than me on her 16" bike…I guess we will see.

She is also very excited for me to buy her a Uni, but not until I learn first.

I dont know how many hours. I stopped at 6 1/2, about 2 weeks so its over 10 now for me. I will say one thing, not sure a uni can compete with a bike downhill lol. I HAVE to go slow downhill!

When I started, my feet also used to hurt a lot, until I realized I was so tense on the pedals, almost like I was trying to grip the pedals with my toes. Consciously thinking about my feet, their position and how tense they were, helped me relax them, and now it’s fine.
Sitting on the saddle more, and not putting your weight on the pedals will also help (and will help the sore thighs too).