Seat on Stomach tips please

Any tips from the experieced would be appreciated.

I’ve figured that:

Should be easier with short pants (no binding at the knee)

Should be easier with short cranks (knee won’t have to travel so far up, close to rider’s shoulder.)

A question arose will riding with buddies:
Does this stunt require that the rider’s bellybutton be on the seat. In other words your spine horizontal? Laying across the seat?
What if only the back of the seat were being held against the stomach? Spine more upright. More like SIF but “seat in belly”

Take SIF while you are moving. Then put your stomach on it and keep riding. The momentum helps.

i managed this for the first time last week
i’m not sure if my experiences will help but here goes

i found it easiest to get going by mounting with tummy on seat
i’d hold onto the wheel, brace that arm against the frame and get the second foot up a’la static mount and ride off

a friend suggested turning the seat sideways while learning
i didn’t try this but it may be of some use

once moving, the basics apply
u have to ‘sit’ on the seat
in this case it is important to lie with your full weight on the seat

it helped me to extend my arms, aeroplane style
:slight_smile:
looks pretty kewl also

tell me if any of this helped

Re: Seat on Stomach tips please

In article <Memphis.Mud.dyg7b@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
Memphis Mud <Memphis.Mud.dyg7b@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)Any tips from the experieced would be appreciated.
)
)I’ve figured that:
)
)Should be easier with short pants (no binding at the knee)
)
)Should be easier with short cranks (knee won’t have to travel so far up,
)close to rider’s shoulder.)
)
)A question arose will riding with buddies:
)Does this stunt require that the rider’s bellybutton be on the seat. In
)other words your spine horizontal? Laying across the seat?
)What if only the back of the seat were being held against the stomach?
)Spine more upright. More like SIF but “seat in belly”

To get into it from a riding position (which you have to do to pass level 3),
I’ve found that stillstanding, then pulling the seat out and getting
my stomach on it quickly is the important part. Extend your arms forward
for balance. And wear protection; learning stomach-on-seat, for me, racked
up the inside of my legs pretty badly, and I took at least two unplanned
backwards somersaults off the uni.
-Tom

I myself got lucky and learned this trick in ten minutes so I never got to have the troubles of one who struggles at it although I did struggle to learn to wheel walk. I take the seat out gradually into a very close seat out position (seat being held lightly against my legs) while continuing to pedal and then just slowly pull it out even farther (keeping contact) until it’s on my belly. Then I just lean all the way over. Unless you have some 200mm cranks you really don’t need to shorten them. All you have to do is remember to keep the seat held at the back with firm pressure from your abs and light contact with your chest. Once you get it it feels great. Just don’t forget to practice with a helmit and on a even and level surface. I’ve broken helmets doing this trick on rough gravel roads and off road.

Later

P.S. Advice with one foot wheelwalking/gliding please.

Re: Seat on Stomach tips please

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 07:03:49 -0600, Memphis Mud
<Memphis.Mud.dyg7b@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Memphis Mud - Not Satisfied @ Level 2.9
But you must have been satisfied with the progress, right?

Klaas Bil

All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons.

I do it with only the back part of the seat on my gut. Belly button contact is optional, even under Standard Skill rules. It could contact above or below there. But using the back part of the seat in the general belly button area allows the unicycle to swivel left & right for steering.

As for back angle, it depends more on your goal of seat in fronting. Is it for an audience? Then go for maximum visual impact (horizontal back). Is it to pass skill levels? Then do whatever way is easiest for you while staying within the definitions of the trick.

I believe I learned it from seat in front. I find seat in front a more stable riding position than stomach on, so I generally start and end from there.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but no point makin a new one…
I attempted this last night for the first time.
I didnt go to well, admittedly i only tried for a few tries.
I found i almost face planted on my first attempt, then on second attempt i just fell.
I am thinking it would help greatly if my seat was higher - is anyone able to comment on this?
Sorry, i would just go out and try it myself but its dark, and i have to get ready for work, and its dark when i get home, so i just want some advice for if i head out on a night mission tonight and try again… or should i wait till the weekend to try new stuff like this in the daylight?
Thanks people.

Thanx for Searching.

For me the most important part about starting stomach-on-seat is the same as the advice we give beginner riders.
Weight on the seat.
And it’s pretty easy to feel if you’re not commiting your full weigh to your tummy on the seat.

Initially I found an assisted start much easier.
Eventually I evolved into a hand-on-the-wheel style mount to get going.

But the crucial bit remains, weight on the seat.

I found it easier to learn With a higher seat, and I started from static instead of riding SIF then changing to stomach on seat. I haven’t tried this in ages though, I may try again later.

A higher seat will help, but practicing SIF will help a lot more.

Thanks for the replies everyone:)
I have the day off work today coz my granddad died this morning so i think i’ll go for a ride later to try and clear my head… might give this another go.
I’ll try starting from mounting with stomach on seat and see how i go.
Once again, thanks.
Jono

Guys Guys Guys! He didn’t ask for stomach on seat, he asked for seat on stomach. To completely different things!

Unscrew the bolts from your post. Then lay down on your back, and place the seat on your stomach.

Sorry for being a smartass…

Sorry to hear about your granddad.
May he rest in peace.

Thanks Gild,
He went in his sleep, a way in which he would’ve wanted to go and there was no suffering, so that i am pleased about.
His memory will live on forever - i got along with him VERY well and will never forget him.