⚙ Schlumpf hubs produced again

Oh cool. Wondering if I could borrow that from you sometime? I’m keen to try freewheeling. Just wondering, is a brake required? I suppose if you don’t go anywhere steep it’s ok.

Brake is mandatory on a freewheel if you want to ride outside of a gym. Without a brake, you can’t stop and it’s really hard to manage your speed.

1 Like

Let alone control your balance.

1 Like

Have a look at the Thread “Freewheel unicycling Megathread”
Back in 2006, I see in other threads, freewheel unicycling was considered impossible.
I think I’ll be learning for a long time.
There is a great YouTube Riding a Freewheel Unicycle p1 - mounting and pedaling - YouTube
He recommends learning without a brake, which I’m going to try first.
I am rebuilding the 20”, has 40mm bearings size. Ordered a freewheel hub from Madazz $NZ139 + $NZ40 delivery to Australia. Limited stock on website, if you want to build one.
Will practice on gentle sloping path in nearby park.

I believe the YouTube guy when he says you should learn without a brake. And also the madazz hub is able to be fitted with a disk.
I want to try freewheeling first, as hard as it will be without a brake. If I progress, I’ll get a nimbus 24” muni with brake and fit the hub. One step at a time and also it won’t break the bank.

I watched that video after fumbling around for a while and it was enlightening. I took the brake off immediately and it was also a weird setup off the side so it was rubbing my leg anyways. Then I just put my right foot on the pedal in the down position, pushed a few kicks and jumped on. I coast right foot down, can’t figure anything else out and it doesn’t feel that bad, but if you can, try horizontal pedals and learn correctly. I have never had a brake on a unicycle before this freewheel so I am really bad at braking, either not enough or flying through next week, but I’m not gonna leave my street until I figure it out since it would be awful to go a few hundred feet at a time and hop off because it got going too fast. Another thing that really helps is hand placement. Both hands/arms have to be at least shoulder height if not higher and pumping back and forth for balance. Eventually try to get one hand onto the saddle for when you want to try braking but that will come somewhat naturally later.

Thanks Unigoof,
Great freewheeling tips. Gives me confidence.
Sorry everyone for steering things slightly “off topic”.
I think I have decided that if I ordered the shlumpf hub, personally I would not get the freewheel option.
I think I’ll have a dedicated unicycle for that.
I can wait and see how the first batch of schlumpf hubs go with others.

I expect to see freewheeling at 50mph on a G36er! :grimacing: And of course, a place alongside the 2-wheelers at the Tour de France! And if they were to put up an objection, all you’d have to say is that your unicycle “identifies” as a bicycle, and they’d have to let you in! :grinning:

6 Likes

Unigoof, could you idle well or ride one footed before riding the freewheel uni? It seems, from the YouTube I linked to, that is a prerequisite.

I could idle well but one footed was only half decent when I started freewheel. One footed is now very good and freewheel is still a long ways coming.

I’m so non break dependant when riding all my unicycles I’m concerned how difficult it will be to ride freewheel. Even after riding a g36 for over a year I very sparingly use the brake even in high gear downhill, I use my legs to adjust my speed so much I don’t even notice anymore.

I’m just going to stick with the flik flok on a 27.5" but good luck to anyone who wants to learn freewheel on a geared hub. Just make sure you pad up as UPD’s on a geared 36" can be very painful.

2 Likes

Saw this and it just made me even more excited about the new hubs.

Also great to see in case anyone was in any doubt that Florian is a genius :star_struck::gear:

2 Likes

Shouldn’t be… I have been working this out. We will have it on our store next week.

3 Likes

Great to hear it’ll be stocked on UDC UK.

My back of an envelope calculations for a direct purchase plus UK duty etc - based on the code for this item - I suspect it’ll shake down to ~£1700/1800.

Very curious on UDC’s prices though too! :thinking:

1 Like

[Removed link as page not officially live]

£1750 starting price for 100m and a rotor - but the price does climb for the 125mm bearing pitch and 32h

1 Like

Looks like a good price. Better than ordering it directly personally it seems.

Has anyone mentioned the design of the disk as shown on the CAD drawing?

Hopefully the production disks aren’t made like that.

That’s a good point re rotor - wonder if @rogeratunicycledotcom has any concerns regarding the lack of rotational direction for the rotor :thinking:

(Also: sorry I just noticed the above page isn’t live yet - found it when googling for live new hub stock out of curiosity)

Really hope the direct orders prices don’t wildly differ from UDC UK.

At £66 a piece I’d hope they’d be very well designed and tested. Even custom it’d be nice to to see a floating rotor for that price.

2 Likes

Not sure what I did wrong with my quick calcs before to get £2k…

1680CHF ≈ £1376

Plus (guessing) £60 shipping, £1436.43

x1.04 (expected duty for a cycle part), 1438.83

x1.2 (VAT), £1726.57

Plus some small customs handling charge probably.

Not far off the UDC price (£1746), but take my calculations with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, I’ve been reading this thread too much now as I keep wondering whether I can actually justify buying one…

2 Likes

Note… this page is not live yet. I will announce when it is. We are still missing some information from Florian.

4 Likes

Acknowledged and my apologies again. I jumped on it when it came up in a Google search result.

But my bad for not double checking it wasn’t live - as in listed.