⚙ Schlumpf hubs produced again

I’m going to take it that the new versions will still come with these that slot on the axle ends - I suspect the CAD drawing doesn’t include this as it is an add on

Thanks for the detailed information!!! and it would be very interesting to know, if the freewheel funktion can be locked, please share Florians answer. then I would definitely bye one, otherwise I stay with my old Schlumpf and my old freewheel munis;-)

I suspect there’ll be no way to lock the freewheel.

The only access the CAD drawings show is via complete disassembly, or the grease/oil port so I’m not sure how you’d possibly do such a thing.

You’re probably right, but

Just heard back that the 190mm should be detailed as 180mm rotor and the crank stops are unchanged from previous version!

:gear:

5 Likes

Wow, without any add-ons except the disc, it would be well over $2,000 USD with shipping to the US.

Is that not what you expected?

With shipping, Duty, and VAT, they’ll be around £2k here in the UK too.

I guess it does feel expensive but I am not surprised this is the cost of this niche and high spec device.

Worth every Swiss franc in my view - and I don’t imagine Florian is making a ridiculous profit from this. Plus it drives forward this area of unicycling.

Better than a gym membership or one of those ghastly Peleton get-up…

Yep I’m sold - and personally really amazed that Florian has decided to do this. I never thought I’d see the day!

3 Likes

Just curious - have people returned their order forms to Florian and received a 50% invoice yet?

I have sent mine in, but am thinking the long list of questions may have led to the excel file getting missed.

Or I’m just ridiculously impatient :see_no_evil::joy:

I presume we don’t send any bank transfer until the invoice arrives - that’s how I read it.

:thinking:

No invoice there. Last mail was:

thank you for your order.
We will speed up the process as much as we can, but in fact, it’s quite a number of operations till a hub is finished :wink: !

1 Like

Thanks!

How odd. I read that the order is only placed once 50% payment made.

I’ll wait and see and then chase as I am ready to get my deposit paid.

1 Like

Just received an invoice from Florian :slight_smile:

1 Like

Timing!

1 Like

Well, it could be worse, it could be like the b*ke industry where top end models are in the five to ten thousand USD range. Assuming the rest of the unicycle this hub is going in costs $1000 or less, you can build the highest of high end unicycles for ~$3000.

1 Like

I sent email to Florian,
“ Please, could you tell me if the freewheel can be locked in the off position? As you say, the new hubs are designed for internal brake disk, would having a Kris holm external disk attached to KH Spirit cranks put load on the hub mechanisms beyond design capacity? Would it shorten the life of hub or require more maintenance?”

Florian’s reply:
we have two switch positions: low gear and high gear.
We can combine either low or high gear with a freewheeling function.
This means, if you choose the freewheel option, you always have freewheeling in low or high gear, according to your choice.”

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the replies to my questions.
Especially about the disk brake external on crank vs internal.
Florian doesn’t say anything either way.
I am still interested in freewheel just for learning it so have ordered a madazz hub from NZ and will make a 24” wheel without brake and try on my UDC trainer… on hard grass surface and with decent helmet motocross padded pants and probably a back protector

So the freewheel option in low would be either freewheel or fixed in 1:1, but not both?

No. If you choose freewheel, you then have to decide which gear you want to be freewheel.

If you choose “Low”, then low gear will always be freewheel. And high gear will be fixed.

If you choose “High”, then high gear will always be in freewheel mode, and low gear will be fixed.

You don’t have to choose freewheel. If you choose “fixed” or “non-freewheel”, then both low and high gears will be in fixed mode.

Wait a minute. I think I understand your question, now. You are correct. If you choose freewheel, low gear will either be fixed or freewheel, whichever you choose. But, not both.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I assumed but I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks for sharing that information, therefore I will keep my old munis. I recommend for your Freewheel Municycle a very good brake (so you can smoothly keep balance) and the back protector is also a good idea;-)

2 Likes

Thanks to @Hammer for the nudge on this one - put this together to make it easier when reviewing hub specs.

3 Likes