⚙ Schlumpf hubs produced again

Nice calculation… but this is always the interesting bit:

Last order from Europe was €150 from European side, then £57 on UK side… although we are working on getting these figures down.

3 Likes

Ouch. I’ve not ordered anything from abroad that I’ve paid customs on (naughty Nextie…) since the pandemic and Brexit. I think I paid about £12 on the UK side last time I did.

Above link has been removed to avoid more speculation :pray:

The aluminum center piece for a floating rotor alone would cost that, in a small production run, before you even have someone assemble it, test the assembly, etc… There is no way they can make that happen for less than 1.5 times the price of a hope piece rotor.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope to see a more “normal” disk design in the production version and I did stumble over the price too. But if you compare it to something like a hope trial rotor (costing about 50€ for a one piece, relatively simple design, with the Schlumpf disk being 80€), it seems not an extreme price anymore.
Knowing how Schlumpf usually operates, it will probably be heat treated and ground like good quality disks are, not just lasercut from a random piece of stainless.

2 Likes

Remember that, when developing BrakeFast, Roger looked for producing a “plug and play” rotor. He said it was finally too expensive to be done. So I’m pretty glad Florian found out a way to produce rotors for 80€.

2 Likes

15 posts were split to a new topic: Schlumpf 2022 Build Questions

On this point. I did check with Florian to reassure myself and this is a snippet of the reply:

From a technical point of view, the triangle is the most stable shape, so we build a corresponding shape from triangles.

I also notice that the design is close in shape to BrakeFast. I’m happy also on the point that compared to a bicycle’s braking forces on a unicycling I’d suspect they’re never as forceful or for dead stops.

In short I’m reassured and am just going to trust Florian from now on :gear::grinning:

Urge to do some stress/strain simulations on that design rising…

Triangles are indeed very strong, but that design has some very thin triangle sides, and typically even designs with triangles will orient them so that the force from the disk is closer to the top of the triangle, rather than trying to push it over sideways.

It’s probably absolutely fine, but it sure looks weird compared to every other rotor I’ve ever seen.
The brakefast is a very different beast as most of it is billet aluminium, not in a triangle, and the triangle on the disk part itself is facing the other way.
I suspect the only reason that the aluminium part is not shaped like the centre of the original disk is due to wanting two symmetrical halves, and the issue of the spoke holes getting in the way.

The original disk design:

Anyone hazard a guess / hypothesis how the new 100mm hubs could have lost so much weight?

Previous version (2016/17)

Weight: 1870g (incl. bolts/Shift Button)

2022 version

Weight: 1650g (incl. bolts/Shift Button)

Naturally the most basic reason is this is a predicted weight. Not the real life weight, meaning this number will change. (But that in itself would be odd)

Part of me is pleased to see some improvement in this area. Another part of me is part concerned how this is possible and hoping it hasn’t compromised any of the hub’s strength.

1 Like

As the hub shell has been narrowed to add the disk, I suspect that everything has got a bit thinner and lighter.

The hub shell appears to maybe have been slimmed down owing to how pronounced the positions for the machine screws are compared to the previous version.

There have been a lot of years of development and production now so I would like to think Florian’s got a pretty good handle on where strength is required, and where some mass can be shed.

3 Likes

From 4.1lbs to 3.6lbs.

2 Likes

Interesting / worrying update re prices - but I did wonder if the energy crisis etc would make things tricky!

https://www.florianschlumpf.swiss/index.php/en/allcategories-en-gb/13-category-en-gb/46-unicycle-hub

Important notice:

We are confronted with massive price increases of up to 100%, which we had not included in the calculation in this way.
Therefore the current prices are only valid for orders until 31.5.2022.
From 1.6.2022 we have to adjust the prices.

I’m glad I’ve already ordered and part paid but naturally this isn’t good news for the hubs in general. And of course I suspect some delays in manufacturing now (perhaps not)….

:gear::crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Wondering if anyone here who’s ordered has heard more on the ETA for final payment and shipping discussions?

I am guessing it’ll start around mid August given that June and July are mentioned as the final stages in manufacture before assembly.

After some grapevine gossip on this matter before I start nagging Florian near the end of August :smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t had any emails from Florian or Brigette

1 Like

nothing since order confirmation on 10may2022.

I did get a kind of update a few days back from an email regarding an aspect of my order:

We are still in the grinding and hard-milling work of the gear parts, that takes a lot of time. But the delivery is not too far away…!

I read this as meaning shipping discussions likely to take place this August unless I’m just overly optimistic

:crossed_fingers::gear:

2 Likes

I think so, may be before Christmas

1 Like

August is technically before Christmas.

“…delivery is not too far away” is a kind of cryptic response that can imply in a few days / weeks or only a month or two extra if we were expecting previous delays of many months.

They’ll arrive when they’re good and ready :gear::smiley:

1 Like

Received yesterday from Florian:

Dear customers and unicyclists and friends,

we are in the final stage of the creation process of the latest generation of unicycle hubs.

Important innovations such as the possibility of mounting a disc brake or the pin that safely prevents unintentional spinning of the gear could be successfully realized.

Now a problem has arisen during final assembly with unacceptable tolerances, which we cannot accept in this way. In concrete terms, this means that we have to remanufacture the core part of the transmission, the central axle, in order to achieve the absolute quality standard that we set ourselves and which is essential in view of the confidence that every driver must have in this transmission.

The bad news now is that this part requires considerable effort to manufacture, so after quite a few delays in delivery we are now also faced with this scheduling problem.

Safety does not allow compromise, so I have no choice but to communicate this unpleasant news and ask my valued customers for further patience.

I thank you for your trust and send best regards

Florian

So… Still some time to wait. Let’s be happy Florian is so careful about our hubs! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

wait and see …