Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

I find seeing this kind of thing in a video pretty hard unless the frame and camera and held stationary and the wheel is then flexed left and right.

There was a post that might be akin to what you’re seeing here on the Geared Unicycle Group on FaceBook

https://m.facebook.com/groups/268679360444983/permalink/908154359830810/

Again with this video I think I see the slight bearing lateral shift.

What version / serial hub do you have?

Yesterday I was worried my older gen - non-ISIS G36 had some flex in the lager hub body bearings. But it was more an optical illusion of the way the wheel and frame can slight flex and appear to when being held.

Are you noticing the flex you see while riding?

1 Like

M0399

Here’s a second closeup video showing the bearing movement inside the hub shell.

It’s small so I do not notice while riding.

edit: The How It’s Made youtube video shows that this bearing is pressed into the hub shell… But that looks to be a >M0399 version.

1 Like

What are the risks of a few slightly loose spokes on a Schlumpf?

I mean loose when I squeeze them spoke to spoke. Some squeeze more easily. Others feel pretty much like my other rides, perhaps a smidge more flexy.

I feel zero issues when riding.

Been riding my G26er more aggressively these last few days and I suspect it is in shock and the wheels spokes have loosened a bit here and there.

It’s still running true, and their tension on most spokes… but I am wondering if is should:

• leave it alone
  • give them a quarter turn
  • have a wheel builder re tension it

I kind of worry my OCD re schlumpfs could have me try and fix something that isn’t broken.

And from what I understand over tensioned spokes would be more of a risk to damaging the hub. (Do not want)

Undertensioned spokes - what are the risks for leaving these? :pray:

Under tensioned spokes will take less of the loads and the stress of the wheel. Instead the other spokes will take more stress.

This may result most commonly in other spokes snapping or worse a number of spokes snapping in chain reaction on a bigger impact, or, probably least favourably, spokes tearing out one or more spoke holes in the hub … or no consequences at all, as the wheel might still be plenty strong to handle the loads it receives. That of course depends on the wheel, how it’s built, the rider weight and its riding style.

Bringing a few loose spokes back to tension is rather easy and effective. 1.) Let most air out of your tyre, 2.) give one after another a quarter turn, 3.) check whether they feel about equally tensioned and if not continue with step 2. Voilà.

2 Likes

If i rememember it right, Florian used to glue in bearings when they had play. I think he used Loctite 638 or 641 for this. To shim it for a nice press fit, the gap will be too small at the moment.

2 Likes

Perhaps counterintuitively under-tensioned spokes are at risk of breaking due to fatigue – see my comment in the post linked below and the accompanying video.

2 Likes

Do you mean to first try loctite? And that shim is too thick?

The radial movement I see is very small. It’s hard to tell how much it is. You could try fitting foil or something like it but it will be pretty hard to install if even possible. The Loctite bearing glue is especially developed for loose bearing seats and fills gaps up to 0.25 mm. So it might work. But I have no idea how long it may last. You should definitely check out how to remove the adhessive if it fails.
I had one of the first M8xx batch and there was an issue with a loose bearing seat. Florian glued the bearing i just as described. Unfortunately it did not last too log and in the end, Florian had to replace the part with one that had a tighter seat.
A good alternative (but expensive) would be to repair / recondition the bearing seat, may it be with hard chrome plating, plasma coating or whatever.

Anybody have any news for October?
Sure would be easier waiting for them if they weren’t so exciting

2 Likes

Are you referring to waiting for news on eta delivery of latest Schlump hubs? Any news anyone?

Yeah just curious if anyone had an update on the machining progress.

Figure delivery will be a bit but still hungry for info

I ended up emailing Florian a week or so back and then resent it again yesterday.

Got this reply:

thanks for some more patience. We had this problem with one single part, that is being rebuilt actually. The whole process is quite complex, I know the delivery date when all is working together properly.

I’d been previously advised by someone who should know a thing or two that it wouldn’t be later than November but now I feel it’s going to be exactly as long as this piece of string I am holding up as I type this message.

Yep after careful consideration I’ve decided to select a specifically long piece of string to symbolise how clearly and precisely we can gage work here and a delivery date is progressing.

1 Like

Thanks Felix,
When I made my order, my skills were not up to riding a G36 and probably still not, but I am getting more and more confident…

1 Like

No doubt anyone that’s ordered from Florian directly got this but - heck, why not get this out here for those ordering via UDC etc

Dear friends and unicycle customers,

long overdue my info on the current production flow!

We are still waiting for the one complex part that needs to be freshly manufactured again. Still material shortages and busy factories dictate the schedule, so we have to be happy to get the parts delivered again within a useful period. Then the gearboxes will go through the final production stages, which will once again take place on our premises.

I can’t give a definite delivery date yet, because the production of such a sophisticated gearbox is not just the assembly of umpteen individual parts, but a process where countless factors have to interact to ensure that the end result is perfect.

However, we are now on the right track and nothing more should happen!

Thanks again for your patience -

I will get back to you as soon as possible!

It’s news and that’s all that matters I feel. Reassuring to know this update - as I’ve never cared about a firm date, just a little update here and there :relieved::brain::gear:

4 Likes

Hello,
here my experiences of 5 years and 30000km with Schlumpf.

My series M900 29 Schlumpf:
I got it new in Oktober 2017.
After about 6000km a crankbolt got loose. It was tightened with a torque wrench before.
After securing it with Locktight it happened no more.
In Oktober 2022 Florian changed the bearings at about 18500km.
Otherwise I had a few tube punctures and 3 worn out continental race king.
So no real problems.

My series 100 36 schlumpf with torquearm:
I got it in June 2019 second hand (not really used much) and modified it to 36.
At the beginnig the square tapper cranks at the mounting side always got worn out.
One time a I had to renew the crankbolts.
A modified sunrace crank broke in the middle.(lukiely i had just 2km to walk to work, were i was able to weld it.It was ok for riding 30 km home.)
Since modifying a spirit crank with a steel square tapper inlet, i hade no more problems.
The stealth rim got fractures at the spoke holes at about 9000km. But they are not getting worse.
In summer i changed the bearings at about 10000km. The outside bearings had to be fixed with locktight because the seat got to wide.
In November at about 12000km the planet carrier broke when i tried to shift up. I had to build a new one and hope it will last until my new schlumpfs delivery.
I had no punctures with the nimbus nightrider light. One time i grinded the profileshape round again.

So I think my game changer at unicycling is the geared hub. And in comparison of the two hubs I see the development to a reliable hub.

7 Likes

Production is running now!
If no new surprises occur, we expect shipments to start in February 2023.
Thank you very much for your patience!
Quality and safety do not allow any compromises!

1 Like

I know. Exciting isn’t it.

Let’s hope no surprises occur. Roll on schlumpf day this February

Do people get good enough that they never miss a shift and can shift whenever they want?

I currently need a few revolutions before I can successfully get a shift in. Sometimes 3-4 revs if I am lucky, other times a lot more.

I’d never say never :slight_smile:
But you can definitely achieve 95+% of success if you keep training.

2 Likes

I consider my shifting to be reasonably good with about 2 years experience and over 4000km’s. I can usually shift up/down in 1-3 revolutions. However sometimes it takes more and on very rare occasions I still UPD.

1 Like