RTL(Ride the Lizard) Seat build

I mainly just want his amazing handlebar design because it is very similar to the GB4, but lighter from the looks of it and adjustable.

Just finished 20 miles with my version 2.0 RTL seat and zero pain! Much improved from the already satisfactory. I used a thicker and firmer top foam(Pink in the photo), thinner bottom foam and a deeper gonad groove. I also added 2 webs with velcroe to define the groove better;
First photo is foam blank after shaping:

rtlseatv21.jpg

This is the cover turned inside out showing the nylon webbing with velcroe:

rtlseatv22.jpg

The result: Notice the much deeper, more defined groove. I am icing my ankle right now as the handle bars smacked it on a UPD. I need to wear high tops!

Get these! Me, John and Don have them and LOVE 'em! I have two pairs. This place has them FAR below anybody else.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14532-285_FIVHI5-43-Brands-353-Five-Ten-Shoes/Five.Ten-High-Impact-Shoes.htm

Just opened a box from my mother in law and what do you know but it’s a pair of 5.10 impact highs in my size for my birthday! I’ll be wearing them Sunday!

So those tabs go through the foam and velcro to the underside of the foam, right? Why did you need velcro attached to the seat base? I assume you attach the cover’s center into the slot, then put the foam on the seat base and attach the outside of the cover down around the base to hold it there. Is the foam actually velcroed to the base?

The foam is velcroed to the base to hole everything really snug. There is a lot force trying to pull the cover out of the groove with out the webs it would stretch across the groove instead of being down in it. Plus I don’t want anything to shift, that is why they glue the foam on stock seat bases. I like to be able to remove it for the modifications I make in search of the holy grail of seats.

Looking better and better! I think I’m going to need you to make one of these for me! Just let me know how much, because I know I’ll like it and get thousands of miles of usage out of it. See you tomorrow, can’t wait for your reviews on the new seat after 50 miles…

Start Threadjack:
Thanks for the info. I actually am looking for some new uni shoes, and I need/want them in black so this might be a perfect fit! Since you guys wear and recommend them, I am going to see if I can try and sell them at uniproshop! Let me know if there are other products out there you’d like to see at uniproshop. Might try and sell the GPS units that Jim (munivision) and Terry (MuniAddict) use…
End Threadjack

Report after todays 50 mile ride. Very little discomfort, no numbness, 10 minutes after stopping zero discomfort. I think I am about 90% there to the holy grail of seats. Next step is more supple leather so there are no wrinkles in the cover.

Very cool!

I’ve also got some questions:

• where do you get your foam from?
  • what densities do you use?

thanks!
corbin

The firm base foam was an ebay purchase. Don’t know any #s but VERY firm closed cell foam. The top layer was from a foam and fabric store. They called it “YH” and is used for motorcycle seats. Said it was the firmest used for seats and was open celled.

RTL seat v 3.0

My third iteration of my RTL seat. I added some foam to the middle to thicken and flatten it there and to deepen the gonad groove. Used a cool upholstery faux fur that is supposed to be real durable, we’ll see. Riding to Huntington Beach this afternoon so it’ll get a good test:

RTLv30b.jpg

ickkkkkk no the purple one is sooooo much better.

Glad you like it so much!

Cool! You inspired me to find some foam and work on my seat. Hopefully I can get around to it this weekend.

How hard was it to sew the seat cover? I’m not very good as sewing. Any rough patterns? How did you figure out the size?

corbin

Best to tear apart another seat for a pattern. I did something totally different by trial and error. Here is a photo of the pattern from my Muni seat:

bb11.jpg

sarcastic? i just really like the purple one.

Cool! This will help me out a ton.

Corbin