RTL(Ride the Lizard) Seat build

Scott has a small, cottage business making these bases. You can contact him directly at scott@wallisdesign.com You can adapt foam and covers off existing seats.

That seat is a thing of beauty. The bars, too. It’s like a light-weight, one-piece version of mine, which is made from cobbled together bike parts. You’re inspiring me to have an aluminum welder make me something similar.

Handle2_1.jpg

Just had my first real ride on my new setup and I give it two thumbs up!! The aero bars really help climbing and just relaxing in the saddle. Seat was very comfy, but Friday am doing RTL qualifying ride so I’ll know what hours in the saddle are like. I don’t know if it is the reduced weight or the stiffness, but turning seems easier and more fluid. Can’t wait to ride more!

Anyone in the ggreater LA area are invited for our qualifying ride Friday and Saturday. We are going to take it easy, since we’re all fairly new to long distance Cokering.

Looks really nice. How did you get the cover to go down into the gonad groove?

I sewed nylon webbing to the center seam, slit the foam and velcroed it to the bottom of the foam and top of the seat base. Used spray adhesive to attach velcro to the base and foam. Here is a photo of an earlier seat of similar design:

bb12.jpg

This is probably the best seat for distance unicycling I have ever seen constructed. It looks ideal in every single way possible. The amount of foam, the cut, the seat base, the handle set up, the cover, everything!

I am extremely jealous, and would love to have one myself. I am sure that handle weighs much less than my bulky GB4 bars, and yet it looks like it will function exactly the same (if not better because of the fact you can adjust the angle of the bars). This set up is one of the few I would consider switching to from the GB4 bars.

Great job!

I have a couple more questions about your handlebar.

Where’d you get the aluminum plate that acts as the seat/bar interface?
What is the thickness of that plate?

The crossbar (that the pegs clamp onto) looks kind of wide. I’m comparing to mine, but my crossbar is just in front of the seat, which I do sometimes contact with my knees while pedaling. Do you ever hit your knees on it? Is it far enough forward that they don’t hit?

Wow! Have you though about selling these?

The plate is just 1/4" flat aluminum my buddy had left over from making a dash for his hotrod (free is a good price!) The cross bar is actually narrower than the T7, never close to hitting knees. It is about the height of the middle of the seat and 3" or so in front. It works perfectly. Probably not a good idea if you don’t have a cf base. My friend who works in a bike shop is saving me bent and broken road bike handle bars to make more.

I did a hundred miles last weekend and the seat is really comfy!

I want one!

I am still drooling over this thing.

So, munivision -

I’m shamelessly copying your handlebar design - it’s at the welders shop now.
Since you say it doesn’t bump your knees, I wanted to get some specs from you…

If you were to hold it so the plate was level, how much higher is the T-bar than the plate?

How wide is the T, the horizontal part?

Thanks.

I want royalties!! I’ll pop out to the truck between patients and measure for you,
Jim

To the guy that asked for measurements: The cross bar is just under 4" wide and is just level with the mounting plate. With the seat angled up in front, the cross bar is about the middle of the seat. The cross bas extends just under 4" from the front of the seat base. I am really liking the way it works. Very comfy and really helps climbing and so light. I don’t torque the bar ends down all the way so that they can rotate when I UPD and drop the uni. I figure this will help protect the awesome Scott Wallis base.

So what did your back-side have to say about your qualifying ride? Just curious… I went numb several times during Uninam and am looking for an alternative to my Fusion Freeride seat-of-pain.

Thanks - that’s perfect.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I’d give it about a 7, better than my Freeride, but not where I’d like it to be. I’m in the process of some modifications and will report on them after Sundays 50 miles for my 50th.

I think you should make these and sell 'em! You’d make a mint since they are way better than the mass produced saddles out there! Happy B-day Jim (almost) !!!:smiley:

i liek the middle groove, for the extra protection on the sensitivity area :astonished:

Just to clarify, those new bumpers are in fact basalt fiber, a cheaper (and slightly weaker) alternative to carbon fiber.

And I could sell them at my store, www.uniproshop.com!!! Seriously…