Role call for Unicyclist still looking for RTL teammates

Word.

Water finally receding

Well the water is finally receding, water levels did not excede the 1973 flood only 8.33 meters of water (ONLY) :angry:

The down town area had power shut off to avoid water filled basements from shorting out power grid.

See this link for pictures…
http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/thumbs/285618

On another note…
Bruce Dawson I have sent a PM, yes I’m interested and dedicated to attending Ride The Lobster (as a rider of course :wink: ). I’d be happy to ride with team “Puget Sounders”.

I admit I’m getting nervous, because so far I haven’t found a team to ride for.
During May, I’m taking my motorcycle and unicycle to Nova Scotia to try out sections of the RTL course.

Hey,
If you come by ferry from New Brunswick to Digby, maybe we should meet.
Have you seen the Beth Amiro piece from Friday, May 2? See it in full at ridethelobster.wordpress.com. You should touch base with the Nova Scotia High Rollers, just in case there is an injury or what have you. Go to www.ridethelobster.com, then race, then teams for coordinates. It might be good just to get to Beth and Morneau and Plumridge.You never know.
We are up to 35 teams, our max. But for sure there will be drop-outs on teams. Check our site and watch, as I know you do, unicyclist.com.

Good times ahead. Stage sponsors are pumped and primed.

best, william

Nice article on Beth

Great article on Beth, she’s now a celebrity being on TV and all :sunglasses:

Fingers crossed somebody will pick me up I’ll belong to some team :smiley:
When that does happpen I’ll be very excited.

I remain opptimistic, “If its ment to be … it will happen”.

BTW> Thanks team “Puget Sounders” for the email, let me know if I can help.

Just a heads up if anyone is still looking for a teammate!

I’d like to raise my hand still as being interested in coming to RTL - cash is set aside for the ticket ($3000 - ouch) from Australia.

Physically I am up to the task, I ride to work and recently completed Uninam but unfortunatley did not qualify after my KH seatpost died on one of the final days. Uninam was a hard slog for myself as I did all my physical training on a 20" wheel as I was traveling around Europe at the time; then when I got back I only had a month to get used to the 36".

Saturday and Sunday I will be doing my official qualifying ride by doing loops of Sydney Olympic Park - so if any sydney cyclists want to come along and say hi - please do :slight_smile:

I would suit a team who are serious about completing but are also serious about enjoying the time with others in what could possibly be a once and a life time event.

RTL teams needing riders: you know anything can happen

Hey,
William Dockrill here, media coordinator for RTL.
There are riders all over looking for teams. As I have written to Legtods, Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada and Muniaddict, out there in CA, just pay attention to the posts. Or, more simply, check with Nathan Hoover or Andy Cotter, the registration nexus for RTL. If anyone knows what is going on with RTL teams (35) they will know. Alternatively, because team contact information is at www.ridethelobster.com, you need only send 35 e-mails with your intents.

Its a long way from OZ, but man, we’d love to see you here. This thing will be Ozzsome.
With best regards from the right coast of Canada, I am
william dockrill

Oh: I spoke with Sam Wakeling today, Guinness World Record holder for most distance in a day (454km): he will be here.

I rode to work today using my coker instead of the usual 29"; went well but riding footpaths and stopping at traffic lights slowed down the average speed.

Distance: 34.91km
Time: 2:53h
Avg Speed: 12.1
Top Speed: 34km/h down the Gorehill freeway bike lanes.

I plan to head on over to Olympic park (where I won’t need to keep stopping) tonight and finish off the rest of the distance; - that way I have Sunday spare just in case.

I visited the site just now, but there are fewer than 20 teams listed. I guess the organizers are still inputting some data. The rider info, on the other hand, seems up-to-date. I’m listed on the rider page but my team isn’t up there yet. For the record, it’s me, Foss, and Dave White, and all of us have been riding since Noah was in high school. It turns out that we’ve been riding a collective 100+ years, so we’re going to be team #100 and our name is the Centurions.

David, Nathan and Andy are working hard on this

Good morning from the Bay of Fundy:
It is a true thing that the team postings are somewhat behind, but only because unicyclists are, evidently, notoriously tardy in getting their things organized. Not a criticism, just an observation. So there was a last minute rush and so something of a back-up. Nathan and Andy can put an entire team posting up in about an hour and a half, but because they are volunteers, as we all are, they have to work at their real jobs,
I see the Google Docs registration spread sheet every day. No worries. It’ll all be up there. We know where you live. Can’t wait to have everyone here in June. The province is hopping with excitement.

Good times ahead…
With best regards from where the seals play, I saw an albino robin and it seems like time for yard work, I am
william dockrill

Just finished day 2 of my qualifying ride, will do a write up in the morning.

Still hunting for a team :slight_smile:

Nice ride nexty

Good ride nexty.

Like yourself I’m with out a team also. According to the rules the Existing established team’s have till June 1st 2008 to notify RTL of any team member changes.

In other words, if they wish to sub members due to illness, change of heart, etc they need to do so before June 1st.

Also they are not accepting any new team’s only 35 teams.

Our only hope to participate is as a spare rider that has been notified by an existing team to replace another. Of course that must happen before June 1st.

I’m hopefull something will happen before that date, but no luck so far.

Rtl

Well I must concede defeat. It appears there is no opportunity for me to participate as a rider in the RTL event.

I admit that I am disappointed. I have been training since early Aug 2007.

I purchased a new 36" unicycle specifically for the event and spent my evenings and weekend riding and training. Hell I even rode during the winter.

My community (Fredericton, New Brunswick) became aware of unicycling and the RTL event.
I received front page Newpaper coverage, radio coverage, even my church wanted to sponsor me.
My family was supportive (young children and wife) allowing me the extra time to be away from family events so I could prepare for the event.

I wish to take this moment and congradulate all the competitors that are going and wish them well. You have my envy and hope you enjoy the event and take the time to meet the international unicyclist community.

Good luck all in Ride the Lobster

Sorry you couldn’t make it, legtod2. At this point I guess your next-best thing to do is come to NAUCC and ride in the 10k race? Yes, it’s a bit shorter than RTL but think of it this way; it’s over in less than half an hour! :slight_smile:

Plus it’s a fun event with tons of other stuff going on. I’m even thinking about racing my Coker in the 14-mile XC race, if I can ever get some information about the course… I’ll bug Andy Cotter about it at the end of RTL, when he can think again.
http://www.naucc08.com/

There’s also Unicon, but that’s quite a bit farther away but they also have a 42 km marathon on the schedule! That’s the longest distance I’ve ever raced so far…
http://www.unicon14.dk/gb/competitions/

johnfoss:very nice reply to legtod2

Hey John:
Very much admired supportive response to Legtod2.
He tried so hard to be in RTL.
There is always 2010, when we will go through this stuff again.
Nice touch, man.
With best regards from the right coast of Canada, where we are doing 20 hour days waiting for RTL to begin, and we have stopped putting out fires and just letting them burn.
william

Bummer

I’m really sorry it didn’t work out – I feel your frustration.

Will you be dropping by for any part of the event, perhaps visiting Annapolis Royal with most of the unicyclists on Saturday, or the awards ceremony the following Saturday? That would at least let you hang out with the worldwide unicyclists.

My first long-distance unicycling experience was riding in organized bike rides like the Seattle to Portland ride, and I recommend that sort of thing if you want to make good use of your training. Being the only unicyclist in a ride guarantees that you’ll feel like a rock star. If it’s a ride that’s mostly uphill then the cyclists won’t outstrip you too much.

Maybe you should do RTL on odd numbered years so that it doesn’t clash with Unicon. 2010 won’t be as much of a problem as 2012 since Unicon in New Zealand will be during their summer, our winter.