Rim options for 27.5+ muni

everytime I put a wide tire on my uni, I would fail trying to use it and give up. Then I got a uni with a really wide rim, and a wide tire, and it is amazing, I think having a wide rim is the best. A skinny rim with a fat tire makes the profile of the tire very round, and that makes me fall off. The wide rim keeps the profile of the tire flat, and that works so much better for me. Just my experience.

2 Likes

Isn’t it more clumsy and heavy?

I haven’t noticed it being clumsy at all, it might be a little heavier, but that doesn’t cause me any problem. I was really beginning to think fat tires were stupid until I got the wide rim. But that’s just my experience, and perhaps my riding skill, or lack thereof is the main reason this works for me.

For what it’s worth I have used OEM 27.5" rims from the bike manufacturer SE on 2 builds now.

They are 36 hole, 27.5+, 41 mm external width (36mm internal) seem like great quality, and the cheapest thing on the market in this width.

If you look up what some of the guys online do on the “SE Beastmode” bike they were made for, it looks like the rim can take a beating too.

They used to have a ton of different colors too.

Nice. Looks like a good substitute for the Dominator 2.

Decision made, thanks everybody for your input :sunglasses:

Ended up going with the WTB KOM Light i45. Found one for $20 so couldn’t pass it up.

I also have a Nobby Nic 3.0 incoming. Seems to have good reviews and should make a good starting point.

Now off to find a frame…

5 Likes

Rim and tyre arrived. They look kinda big, hopefully I’ve made the right decision.

Still waiting on the hub, spokes and frame, so can’t do anything with it at the moment.

1 Like

Might be another 6 weeks! Hope it arrives.
Ps. Good that it got to you with all the flooding!
Roads north closed!

It’s a good exercise in patience.

The 3.0 tube should double as a life preserver if need be…

2 Likes

Got the wheel together. Quite a difference in rim width compared to my old wheel. The tyre looks massive in the photos, but not nearly as dramatic in real life. Maybe I should have gone for 3.25 after all :man_shrugging:

Now I’m just waiting for the frame to arrive from Mad4One. Hopefully I made the right call getting a large instead of medium…

5 Likes

Well done and very nice!!

It would fit in a Mad4One medium frame, if its comparable to the URC sizing. But, I’m sure the difference isn’t so big and it will work out well!

The WTB Scraper is also a nice Rim

https://www.einradshop.ch/einrad-kaufen-schweiz/felgen-275-zoll-650b/1496-wtb-scraper-i40-felge-275-32-loch.html

scraperi40

I thought the Scraper might have been discontinued.

The KOM Light looks very similar in sizes up to i35:

Then the i40 and i45 add a bit of extra reinforcing (the KOM Tough has similar reinforcing in all sizes):

The achilles heel of my current muni is a narrow frame, restricting tyre choice. I’m doing my best not to overcompensate :smiley:

How did this setup go in the end?

I’m very pleased with the result :slight_smile:

I never found the external width listed anywhere, but I’ve measured it at 49.5mm. No problem at all fitting a 3" tyre on it. I may go 3.25" for my next tyre, just to see what it’s like.

I haven’t noticed any problems with it being the “light” version, but I’m hardly an extreme rider. It seems plenty strong enough to me. I would prefer if it had eyelets, but that’s probably not a big deal in practice.

If I was doing it again about the only thing I would change would be to make it a 29". Maybe… :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Let me know if you find any other amazing deals on rims. I have a 36H ISIS hub with no wheel.

36H might make it a bit tricky. What diameter and width are you looking for?

EDIT: I guess something for a 27.5+ tyre, based on the thread title which I wrote:man_facepalming:

Well, since you’re asking. I’d really like to try a 32” uni (big question mark on my ability to static freemount it), but of course there’s only 1 kind of 32” rim afaik….

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread - but I love my Rekon+ 29x2.8” tyre on my Dominator2 fixed wheel - and just got another for a LightBicycle 29” build that’s pending.

Same AM935 rim - and then got slightly worried when the tyre’s label says:

“Minimum 39mm inner rim”

The LB rim has the 35mm mentioned above and I think the Dominator2 is the same ish -

Oddly LB state their rim can take 2.4”-3.”1 tyres. So does this means I’m safe and don’t really need to worry about what the tyre says re 39mm minimum.

I’ll be setting this up tubeless if that matters in this equation.

Thanks and semi-hijack over :pray: