Now that plus sized wheels have been mainstream for a couple of years I’m curious about people’s experiences with them. I’d like to build a new muni wheel but I’m unsure on rim width. Open to suggestions .
It will be a 27.5 wheel and I’m planning on running a ~3” tyre on it. Maybe up to 3.25” (Duro Crux), not 100% sure yet.
My rim requirements:
- Double wall
- No cutouts
- Either 32 or 36 holes are fine
- Eyelets preferred but not required
So far I’m considering these options, in ascending order of width.
- Nimbus Dominator 2 (42mm external width)
- Mad4One reinforced version (38.8mm internal width, 46mm external width)
- WTB KOM Light i45 (45mm internal width)
- KH Freeride (55mm external width)
I think 42mm is about as narrow as I want to go, and 55mm is going to start to limit tyre options. So those are my lower and upper bounds for now.