Rim brake questions (V-pull?)

Hey, hope this hasn’t been rehashed too many times, I’ve done a few searches but still have a few questions.

Now that I’ve gotten into a bit of climbing on my 29" uni, I’ve been considering getting a brake mainly for the downhill (though I’ve heard brakes improve many other aspects of riding). Seems like I can make it up easily enough unless it’s sustained over a loooong time, but coming back down is what usually gets my legs.

So, question one, my rim has a few small nicks and dings in it from rocks. Does this automatically rule out a rim brake? I don’t want to be chewing through pads constantly, or dealing with extreme pulsation, or whatever other weird issues might arise from this. The dings aren’t terrible, but are noticeable. I can post some pictures later if needed.

Question two, I’m not crazy about spending so much on Maggies. I was considering getting a V-pull for a while, learn how to ride with a brake, and see if I even want one. But are V-pulls worth the effort? I’ve seen the threads on mounting them and it doesn’t look hard at all, but it’s still a bit of messing around to do.

Last question, the riding I do is XC/Muni, would a V-pull even be able to handle the abuse of that type of riding? I do try and catch my uni when I UPD but it doesn’t happen all the time. My tire is currently 2.1" (with 2.4 being the biggest tire I’d ever want to put on) so I don’t think fit would be an issue.

Anyway, hope this isn’t too redundant to other threads, sorry if it is.

I don’t! When I UPD, my primary focus is getting my feet clear of the wreckage. I got hurt in a fall once because I tried to catch my uni so I always tell people that is a bad habit to get into. Saddle handles can be replaced much cheaper than a visit to the emergency room.

Back on topic. I’ve never tried a V-pull brake but I can tell you that learning to use a brake is much easier with a disc. The rim brake on my 36er still throws me off the front every once in a while.

I had no trouble my V setup after about 2 years of abuse. Moab twice, Vancouver, California, lots of local riding, no problems at all. I Love V brakes. I haven’t gotten around to setting one up since switching to a frame without canti mounts, but I don’t really need a brake for most of my riding.

I agree! Most harshness with UPDs seems to occur when I land on/in the unicycle, so, generally, my priority is to just get clear of the unicycle.

Unless it’s a very mild UPD, in which case I’ll make an effort to grab the seat- but, if there’s any feeling of dodginess about the UPD, then just get clear.

I’ve noticed good skateboarders have a similar attitude- if they’re 1/2 way through a trick and it starts to go wrong, they tend to kick the board away, as landings can be much harder if you’re trying to put feet on the ground and the board gets in the way.

V-brakes work great; I have zero interest in switching to Maguras or disc on my 29’er.

I have the usual Magura HS33’s on my trials bike, but the appeal there is the super on-off lockup power; that’s mostly useless for a uni. They seem more vulnerable to crash damage than my V’s, with the hydraulic cable running around.

I have discs on three bikes; the main appeal there is that they are mostly immune to wet/muddy/snowy conditions, but again that doesn’t matter much for uni. Modulation is a little smoother, which would be the main plus, but I’m still not tempted to do a so-called “upgrade.” It looks more vulnerable than the V’s, especially the hydraulics and the outboard discs.

I use a V-brake on my 26" muni. I’ll probably switch to a disc eventually but the V-brake works fine. The nicest thing about it is how easy it is to re-adjust if it hits a rock and the arms get whacked out of the proper position.

I use a V-brake on my 26" muni and a hydrualic disc brake on my 29". I’ll probably switch the 26" to a disc eventually but the V-brake works fine. The nicest thing about it is how easy it is to re-adjust if it hits a rock and the arms get whacked out of the proper position.

I use a V-brake on my 26" muni and a hydraulic disc brake on my 29". I’ll probably switch the 26" to a disc eventually but the V-brake works fine. The nicest thing about it is how easy it is to re-adjust if it hits a rock and the arms get whacked out of the proper position.

http://unicyclist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1506524&postcount=1 this help any?

Wow, thanks for the answers guys. That’s what I was hoping to hear. Knox, I’ve seen that thread and think that set up is just a bit wide, however, my uni is a Drak just like that one.

So it sounds like a V brake is worth trying, could my rim cause me any major problems?

Thanks for all of the help guys.:o

It doesnt sound like it should cause you any problems so i would say go for it.

Check out this thread for ways to put v-brakes on magura mounts.

I’m upgrading to a disk brake, for greater braking power, but I haven’t had any trouble with my v-brake system since I posted on that thread.

Unishark, yours was the method I was planning on using. I ran across that thread and was “inspired” so to speak.

Think I’ll definitely be getting one. And even if I run across any problems, they’re really not that expensive.

Thanks guys!

Cool. I’m not abandoning mine, I’m just giving it to my son.

Okay, so now for some ignorance.

I’ve decided on a Tektro 857AL as it’s longer for fender clearance. Now I just need to know, what else will I need?

I’m thinking a noodle, cable and housing, brake lever, and brake lever adjusting barrel. Plus the hardware to mount it all.

Is there anything I’m missing or have I mistakenly added something I don’t need?

Thanks for the help guys.

Also looking at a Tektro 849AL. 120mm arms and only 8 bucks on ebay…

• a couple zip ties and you’re good to go. I think most levers include the barrel adjuster. Also easy to find used - try a garbage bike or the used parts bin at a LBS.

Most LBS will give u one for free