Riding in wet conditions gives me mixed feelings

My riding is either on trails, or some practice in a parking lot. Doing a lite trail in the rain is quite fun and refreshing, but other than that, man things feel slippery and needlessly dangerous. Whether it is soil-turned-mud on the trail or a film on a parking lot. And it only seems to take a light film of water to make everything slick (pedals and ground).

The pedals I’m using are the Fyxation Gates or the stock plastic pedals with metal strips that come with the Nimbus MUni. Love both sets but things just get a tad bit slippery in the rain, and considering the small patch of single tire that is making contact with the ground - it has me reconsidering if its worth the risk.

I did try the super spikey Chester RaceFace pedals, but went back to the Gates. I didn’t notice a whole lot of extra grip given the added danger.

As for actual consequences of everything being wet, I have slipped when I normally wouldn’t have due to wet conditions. We are talking both feet on pedals and tire on surface slippage. Was at a state park last Friday night and it was just after a rain. The film of water mixed with algae/moss on things was just terrifying. Even had to watch it when hiking. So, to an extent it just isn’t in my mind. I guess I’m trying to reason out if I should just wait for dry conditions, or if there is anything I can change. Obviously actual trail or surface conditions matter.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Tire tread pattern can help, a slick won’t do too well in wet conditions as it will trap water but treads will help dissipate the water from the tire. Road and trail ideal tread pattern for wet conditions is different, but I don’t get too deep into that and just make sure I have treads on the tire. Other than that, just hang on tight and go a little slower.

1 Like

Just go for it and make any adjustments needed to make it work. I ride on snow and ice in the winter and for me the difference in how I ride is worth the time and exercise I get to put in on the uni.

2 Likes

Actually yeah that makes a lot of sense. Perhaps instead of working on whatever skill I’d normally do, I’ll look it at as a different kind of training. Makes lots of sense.

It is definitely a different kind of training, especially snow and ice. You learn to pedal perfectly smoothly since the smallest pressure change can shoot the wheel out from under you, especially when unicycling across a snow covered pond with perfectly smooth ice underneath.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense too.

I would also consider whether your usage has any excess impact to the trail when you ride in the wet. This depends a lot on the terrain and trail conditions. Something to keep in mind, and might not be an issue where you ride. I wish we could get some rain here in California to help us out of the drought. Dry, dry, dry…

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

We don’t get snow-covered ponds here. The last icy pond I could venture onto was in Germany in 1975.

I love riding in the rain, it generally means I get the paths and trails to myself rather than having to navigate my way around pedestrians & cyclists.
:grin:

But I do get that it can be a bit disconcerting when first attempting it.

1 Like

Your profile says you’re in Virginia. Unless climate change has killed it off, I know that even Southern VA used to get a few decent snowfalls every winter. Play around in that and it will make non-frozen wet stuff less scary. DO wear your safety gear and allow for wheels to slip out from under you.

Glassy-smooth ice is not recommended unless you have a studded tire, or are just a stud:
https://unicycling.com/things/index.htm#20
Sorry about the tiny photos. Someday that whole site will get a redo into 21st century Web design. That guy was not a stud, he was a teenager. Willing to take the fall, over and over. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey thanks John. I appreciate it. And yeah, you are correct about the Virginia conditions you describe.

Thanks @johnfoss for replying to me, but I’m definitely not in Virginia :wink:
:rofl: :joy:

1 Like

But of course, you’re in Bedrock. A place right out of history. I think it’s on Pangea, right?

1 Like

Just a follow-up that since I posted this I have taken @Unigoof advice and looked it as another way to train. It’s served me well, so thank you all :slight_smile: