Riding Cambered Roads

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Has anyone complained about their 27.5 or 29" carbon rims?

It’s the 36" tires that are outdated and a little too artisanal compared to what’s out there in the bike industry. Which leads to problems.

Personally, I’d never have thought of crossing the Alps and Pyrenees with aluminum rims. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s like having rocks in your pockets.

Many find that KG ultimate is too sensitive to slopes. It’s often a question of pressure. For my part, I feel the incline at around 30 psi (and below). At the moment, I’m riding at 40 PSI. I weigh 70kg fully clothed.

Some have switched back to the NR lite because of this. But I find it harder to take corners with the NR. I check the pressure of my KG regularly and they’re fine =)

1 Like

Acknowledged and this gives me hope. I won’t go to Unicon unless I drop some weight - but that mission is underway and I’ll get there if only solely to be able to use this tyre :smile:

I’ll cut my hair to drop 1kg and if needed, skip being fully clothed :joy: (not!)

1 Like

It does. The issue with 36er is that they are hard to accelerate and require a lot of energy to turn (and re-accelerate afterwards). They also weigh a ton, which is a pain in the ass when riding uphill.
So, if you simply go for plain and straight rides, carbon rims may not interest you. But if you commute in town on a 36er or if you like to ride uphills, then the difference is massive. Some riders even describe the feeling of riding a carbon 36er as being similar to riding a 29er, while going at the speed of a 36er.

I’m tempted to disagree on that one. The pressure influences the behavior of the tire on cambered roads, sure. But IMHO, it’s not the only cause of camber issues. Some tires won’t ever be able to overcome cambers, while other will just “magically” work. The tire/rim combination may also be a factor to explain whether the rider feels camber or not.

Regarding my own experience, I feel the Dominator2/King George Ultimate combo pretty bad for cambers and turns, even at ~45 PSI. Whereas the Braus/NR Lite combo feels really good at the same pressure. I do remember having ridden the Braus/King George Ultimate combo for a few km but I didn’t liked it for turning. Though I can’t remember whether I felt it bad for cambers, too.

Please also remember @toutestbon and I don’t turn the same way. He pushes his uni to the outside of the turn while I try to stay aligned with my uni. This may also explain why we don’t feel the same at cambers with a similar setup (Braus/King George). They may require some skills I don’t have.

4 Likes

I commute to work on my geared 36" Nightrider Lite and Nimbus Stealth 2 and some roads have very bad camber but I noticed it much more with lower pressure. I used to ride close to 60 psi till the tyre exploded outside my workplace so now I settle for about 50 psi and it seems fine with camber and not exploding. I weigh about 78kg’s and prior to starting unicycling I was well over 90kg. I got down to 72kg at my lightest but when I moved house and went from riding 4km to 18km a day my weight went up to 78kg.

When I ride to work I’m wearing steel cap boots and carrying a backpack with my lunch and I can average a speed of 18km/hr over 13km’s. Peaking at 34km/hr on good downhills.

4 Likes

I did. The King George Ultimate tyre, 36inch. I blame the tyre as I could not find a solution and changed back to my light standard tyre - the nightrider.

3 Likes