Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Now I don’t know that uni reference - it might have been his mum referred to a clown from the local circus: Luno the Lunatic :slight_smile:

Cary Gray wrote a kids book about an adventuring unicyclist named Luno. Its really cool actually; he illustrated the entire thing using only his feet. Here’s a link to his page: http://www.caryoutthere.com/CaryGrayKidsBook.html

Cool thanks. I like his small video where he draws some of it at high speed. I can’t even draw a vicuña with my hands like that.

We took our tandem and my 29er on holiday this year to the Orkney islands in the far north of Scotland. One day we took the tandem on a ferry over to another island to explore it a bit.

At the end of the day, on the way back to the ferry, we stopped at a small shop for an ice cream and I rode the tandem the last hundred metres or so to the ferry slipway by myself. On getting there a guy made the observation, “You’ve lost your other rider!” – I held myself back from replying, “That’s different from what I normally get”, as, well, he didn’t know I rode a unicycle…

Tandems seem to elicit the same sort of response as unicycles insofar as people feel compelled to make a comment, which I suppose is fair enough, I find they are generally making friendly conversation about something out of the ordinary. On the way over in the morning when one of the ferrymen was tying the tandem to the rail of the boat to secure it, he said, “This makes me think of a song.” (ie. ‘Daisy’) – that time I just agreed and stopped myself saying “Is your name HAL?” as the 2001 reference might not have been as well known as I’d like to think :slight_smile:

From a young child yesterday as I commuted home (in English, which is unusual)

“Look mum, a unicorn cycle!”

I’m gonna guess that “unicorn” was her most commonly used word that starts with “uni-”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Kinda wished I was wearing pink, with rainbow hair and leaving behind a trail of glitter to make it more magical as I rode along on my unicorn (cycle).

Someone at the trail head said to me yesterday,

“I suppose you have heard every lame joke that there is.”

“Hey, is the bridge still closed up ahead?”

It was so refreshing to be asked a normal trail question without any mention of me losing my other wheel. And yes, the bridge is still closed.

That one is absolute gold!

And of course we have, especially if we’ve been reading this thread over the years…

Yesterday while I was riding to my university’s marketplace, some guy on a bike yelled out, “Two wheels is easier!”. I couldn’t think of a good comeback and defaulted to “I don’t need a training wheel anymore”.

Also, sometimes while unicycling the paths people appear sort of scared, like they’re afraid I’ll fall. They tend to get off the path or hug its side to make room. Maybe they’re doing it to be nice, or I guess (my) unicycling looks unstable?:o

I honestly think its the whole fearing what they don’t understand. It does look like some kind of dark magic.

The response I would hope to come up with on the spot:

“Duh. But that’s not the point!”

A few recent interesting quotes (besides the usual WYOW):

Chugging up a large hill on my Coker and getting passed by a cyclist, a guy on a stroll asks me:

“so is that easier or harder?”

(I said “harder”)…

Later on, cruising on my Coker, passing cyclist yells “get a bigger wheel!”

Road biker passing me on the bike path today:
“Twenty one inches!”

Me: ???

That sounds like an exaggerated manhood reference. Maybe not exaggerated in your case, John.

Last week I did a little tour on my 36.
A couple on bicycles came the other way on a winding cycle path in the woods, so they only noticed me just before we passed. She exclaimed
That’s a weird ‘fiets’. (The word ‘fiets’ is in Dutch used for bicycles as well as for unicycles.)
I replied: One could say so (which in Dutch has the connotation “but I don’t agree”)
Just before we went out of hearing distance, she said rather loudly “Oh well, I think so.” Not sure if she addressed me, or her husband.

Yesterday a guy caught up with me on the bike path (on my 36") and asked if I’d heard about the guy who rode around the world. Like a nerd, I said “Which guy?” And he started telling me what he knew of Ed Pratt’s ride, and I replied that yes, I’d been watching his videos, they are wonderful, and I got the chance to meet and ride with him when he came to Santa Cruz. But the guy kept insisting that Ed’s wheel was bigger than mine…

Today on the trail, from a mountain biker:
“You’re missing your front wheel!”
Me: “how do you know it wasn’t the back wheel?”
Him: “Uh, I don’t know.”

This got me thinking about the idea of having “all wheel drive”. And a minute or two later, I passed some other stopped riders who I think were part of that guy’s group. They were saying nice stuff as I passed, so I said
“There’s something to be said for having all wheel drive.”
They laughed. I added “I don’t know what, but something…”

Funny that he said front wheel. I reckon you didn’t have handle bars. Yesterday as I rode the 36", some said I lost my back wheel. There are I do have handle bars, which could look like a steer. As people have stated earlier in this thread, the best answer to that was “Thank you”, which is my default answer now.

Many great comments from people riding in the cicLAvia yesterday in downtown Los Angeles (cicLAvia is a large community bicycle event where they block off the streets for riding along a certain route). My favorite: “Thank you for being the coolest people here today.”

Didn’t you have a t-shirt once that had 1x1 on it?

Roger

I got heckled on Saturday for not riding my unicycle at the hill climb event. (it was 29.9% at the top!)

Roger