Quote of the day (from non-riders)

It’s comments like that that stopped me riding in a kilt.

The impressive thing about that is that this lady recognized you without the unicycle! I’m pretty sure if I showed up on our local bike path on a bike, nobody would notice anything. :o

Ow. Just the thought of riding “commando” in a kilt – have you done it for any length of time?

Not exactly a comment…

My wife and I biked to her mom’s yesterday, and upon arrival my mother-in-law said “I didn’t even know you had a bike!” :wink:

Wiley Coyote

Fun one today. Riding along and from behind I hear: “So, I guess you are a fan of Wiley Coyote’s favorite shopping center.” Seemed especially appropriate for me since I was headed to ACME Coffee Roasing afterward to further jet propel my day! :rocket: :blush::upside_down_face::blush::upside_down_face::blush:!

Try, try, try again…

I was riding along a canal tow path earlier in the month when I UPDed after someone passed me on a bike. I was pretty out of breath at the time but thought I’d best get back on and continue rather than wait.

After the third botched freemount while trying to get my breath back, a passing woman from a couple out with their dog remarked, “If at first you don’t succeed, and all that”. I didn’t have a witty comeback at the time, but my first thought was along the lines of ‘with this malarkey you have absolutely no idea how right you are’.

A few days ago (and sorry, not quite the usual quote thing!):

“do you think it’s a good idea to ride that through here?” - I was on my giraffe in a fairly busy pedestrianised area (we’ve discussed this elsewhere, I’ve done a lot of practice and 100% confident in my skills to avoid hitting anybody), the obvious implication being that he thought it wasn’t!

I did have to work hard not to laugh as the discussion progressed - I mean he’d presumably just watched me manoeuvre through a narrow gap with tight turns and I was sitting there idling whilst talking to him (he caught me as I was idling waiting for a bit more room). The point he completely lost the argument IMHO was when he asked what would happen if a dog ran out in front of me* - as I pointed out, that would be an issue with a dog not being under control, not anything to do with my choice of transport. I asked him if I didn’t look like I was under control, and he said he wasn’t sure, which was the point I really had to restrain myself from laughing as I idled away! Oh, but the best bit was that I asked who he was and he said he was from Worcester BID (a business improvement thing) - I then suggested that it was a bit more of a pain than usual with all the cars parked in the pedestrianised area, doubtless he was there as part of the organisation of the “car show” (an honest opinion of mine - I did think WTF are all these cars doing here and that however “important” it might be for business that’s no excuse for clogging up the ped area when the council should be doing more to encourage people out of their cars).

• arguments about avoiding dogs which run out in front of you always lose IMHO - dogs are supposed to be kept under control, yet it seems there’s more tolerance for people not bothering with that than for people doing perfectly legitimate things trying to avoid them. Had another one yesterday when a woman had a huge number of dogs all off leads on a shared use path, was coming towards me so must have seen me plenty of time in advance, yet I had to call out as I approached to get her to pay attention. She still hadn’t managed to clear any space on the path as I came up to her, so I just managed to squeeze past right on the side - at which point she gasped presumably because she was suddenly worried about her dogs because I’d come quite close to a couple of them :roll_eyes: For those in different countries where things might be different, there’s a clear instruction in our Highway Code to keep dogs on short leads on such paths https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-about-animals-47-to-58#other-animals-rules-56-to-58

I’ve seen this too a few times when just riding on the cyclepaths, some mostly women that look at me all scared, certain that I am going to fall against them or something. Some also have to mention that to their fellow riders. “It shouldn’t be allowed to ride on 1 wheel.”

Yesterday an older guy riding with his buddies on racebikes told me to keep both hands on the steer ( was riding with a T-bar and for safety had 1 hand in the air. As I put my other hand on the bar as well, they all laughed ). I thought it was quite funny.

Riding to work this morning, a child in a pushchair (new enough to talking that you’d need experience of toddlers to be able to make out the words) came out with: “Upside-down”

I wondered for a while about the mind of a child, then realised that “upside-down” is probably the only phrase that this child has so far learnt to describe something out of the ordinary.

Sorry, that one just begs lots of snarky responses. My earlier one was boring. How about:

“No, I’ve been stuck up here for three days! Can someone bring me some water and a sandwich?”

Had a WYOW from a dog-walker yesterday. Answered „I left it at home. I don’t need it anymore.“
As I was having a short break for drinking, a bike rider stopped, closely inspected my hatchet, nodded impressedly, said hi and continued on his ride.

Did you ask where their other dog was?

Riding home from work yesterday, I hadn’t planned to bother too much with the climb out of this underpass in the sweltering heat:

I thought I’d ride a short way up, then walk. But there was a group of teenagers in the underpass and one of them called out: “You can do it.”

Of course, then I had to do it. I carried on to the top of the hill.

And when you go downhill, do you take the stairs? I wish I had something like that here. Would be perfect for training small drops. I only have a path in the forest with drops after roots, but nothing as structures as that.

You know, I’m not sure I’ve ever ridden it in the downhill direction. It’s not on my usual route anywhere. I’d never ride to work that way, but I occasionally ride home that way (I want the quickest route in the mornings, and that’s not it).

I don’t think I would, but I like the way you think. Maybe 20 years ago I might have done.

Went for a ride yesterday, took my 26" and went up to the mountains. Had an absolute blast, it had been way too long since I had last spent much time on the uni.

A group of 4 mountain bikers passed me early into my ride and it went a little like this:

Guy 1: That’s awesome!
Guy 2: You’re making us look bad!
Guy 3: Crushing it man!
Guy 4 (a good 20 feet behind the other riders, didn’t hear them and yells this as he passes): Holy s***!! Did you guys see his unicycle!!?!?

Made my day.

Was riding around the neighborhood this morning when an elderly lady asked if my uni was some kind of “bucket-list” thing…
I said “no, but I’m gonna die trying!”

Yesterday I got a big smile and thumbs up which made me feel good!

Cheers!

I was riding my Hatchet when two cyclists passed me, slowing down for a closer look. One of them exclaimed „wow, you could easily make two out of that one!“
I thought he got it the wrong way around and answered „No, you can make two unicycles out of your bike.“
When I got home I realized that he meant it exactly the way he said it: the Hatchet is so massive you could use the material two make two „normal“ unicycles.

Later, I got a „thumbs up“ from a farmer, whose tractor I evaded by hatchetting into the harvested field alongside the country lane. (Unfortunately, I UPDed after about 15 Meters.)

Later still, another two cyclists going the other way: the first said „respect!“, while the second one, after passing me, yelled „holy sh*t“.

Shout out to Cary Gray

I was riding my 36" wheel along the beach walk last week in Newport Beach, CA. As I passed a mother and her young son, I heard her exclaim to him, “Look, its Luno!”. I thought that was a pretty cool, inside unicycle reference.

Curiously I got the same comment twice today: one was in French and the other in English 10 minutes later.
I was riding at Versailles Castle with my Coker Big One and the comment was “really that’s a UNICYCLE” (with corresponding face meaning they thought the thing was big!)

“That’s not cool, that’s just weird!”

I responded with, “Hey, everybody’s weird!”