Quote of the day (from non-riders)

I’ve unicycled in my green morphsuit more times than I care to admit… It’s just a full-body lycra get-up, making it perfect for cycling in!

I sadly don’t have a frog’s head as of yet though :smiley:

Funny, I was just about to post the exact same comment!

Idlux’s post about “Dat Boi” is also one I heard at about the same time he did. The kid even showed me a smartphone image of the “meme” he was talking about.

El mundo es un pañuelo…

From a bicycle rider on the bike path, as he passed going the other way: “That’s on my bucket list!”

I remember one woman carefully explaining to her child … ‘That’s a one wheeled bicycle’ :roll_eyes:

Had a couple of really good ones yesterday. I joined a local bicycling group on a 21 mile ride. I rode my 36" and the ride “leader” makes a point to stay with the slowest person in the group. So him and I are cruising along the trail together. A family, mom, dad, and young son, all on bikes approach us. Right after the young son passes me, I hear his brakes squeak and him come to a stop. Then he said to his dad, “Daddy, what on Earth was he riding?!” It got a great laugh from both me and the bicyclist that was riding with me. The other one, on the same ride, is pretty unique. Wes(the bicyclist and ride leader) and I were taking a quick break at the top of a super steep uphill that we had just conquered. Up the hill comes a middle aged, obviously new to the sport, woman on a 3- wheeled recumbent trike. She stopped at the top of the hill to catch her breath. She did a quick double take after noticing my unicycle and then goes, “Hey, I’ve got your other wheel!” Wes and I both got a laugh from that. I shook her hand and told her that she won for comment of the day lol.

Yeah, I hear that one from time to time. One woman, though, instead of explaining it to a child, was carefully explaining it to her dog, who was straining at the leash, panting, his tongue hanging out, looking off in the other direction. He had absolutely no interest in my “you-knee-cycle.”

I thought of a good response to those occasional times when hikers just “stare” at you, without saying a word. I was riding up a steep section of a local trail when I saw a group of about 10 hikers near the top of the hill, watching me as I made my way towards them. I expected some good comments as I approached them, but they didn’t say a word, and just stared as I rode by. So just after passing them I said, “Yeah, I’d be speechless too!” That got a good laugh from them!

Then, on a beach ride a few days later a guy said, “you lost something bro!” So I pointed to my abs and said, “Yeah, about 30 pounds of fat. Thanks for noticing!”

Riding my G32 on the beach bike path, passed a middle-aged couple.
Lady: Hey, that’s nice!
Man: If I had a handlebar I could do that too!

(My uni has a handle.) I laughed out loud at that one!

Passing a woman on a hiking trail she says: “Wow! You’re doing everything in my life that I’m not.”

A drunk guy: “Heeey! You’ve lost two wheels!”

I upd’d because of a dog today, chasing me, barking and jumping up at me. The owner was very apologetic, I assured her I was OK and I said to her "It’s almost like your dog has never seen a unicyclist! ’

Funny thing was, she seemed oblivious to the uni - her response was ‘No, it’s not that, he’s the same with bikes too’!

I was riding around my neighbor this evening and a teenager walking his dog said, “You have my respect” as I was passing her.

Last night I was out on the best ride ever on my 29. I have been riding just enough lately to build up the endurance and strength to really start powering. Everything just clicked and the uni almost felt like it had its own motor.

Already on a high, I turned the corner into the start of one of my favourite climbs and there in the middle of the road was a group of four mid-teenage boys walking up the hill. I noticed one had a skateboard under his arm and another with a Razor scooter. Right, I thought.

As I came up to behind them, they noticed my lights and looked around. There is a shout like they were all one. “Watch out” … “It’s a unicycle” … “And he’s pumpin’”… “Yeah he’s pumpin’, man”… “He deserves a trophy”.

You bet I was pumpin’, already on a high, on my favourite hill, with them watching and shouting their appreciation. No way I was going to ruin it and I accelerated up that hill like never before until I was well out of their sight.

Well done OTM. Getting a compliment from a skate boarder is some achievement. :smiley:

Yea. Well done. That was a funny story:p

Skateboarders come in all varieties where I live. I have had the best and worst from them.

“F…k yeah.” Understated but clearly impressed.

“Lose the protective gear. I could do better.” Clearly prone to self-stimulation.:wink:

[QUOTE=OneTrackMind;

Understated but clearly impressed.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah! I occasionally get a discreet smile from skate boarders as I pass them by.

I guess they don’t want to spoil their “cool” image :sunglasses:

At my LBS today. Proprietors are a beautiful couple, well into retirement age, have had the shop from before anyone can remember and still riding. They have a unicycle on display just like the one I learnt on and no doubt it originally came from them.

I popped in looking for crank dust caps which you just can’t buy. They searched through a bag of salvaged caps for a pair and handed them to me.

They are always interested in how I am progressing on the uni.

Mrs LBS: “You know everyone talks about you.”

Me: “I’m riding a 29 inch now. Rode up Mooball Street this week.”

Mr LBS, with his jaw dropped: “Holy Mary Hill?” (It runs up past the Catholic School.)

Me: “Yeah.”

Mr LBS: “That is hard enough on a bike!”

Hey A**hole…

“Hey A**hole, it’s a red light”…from a cyclist as I rode by and through a red light because I can’t stop and restart so well.

Mybad…sorry for my poor representation of Unicyclists everywhere.

That’s… not something to be proud of.

At least california stop at the stop signs. If a light is red, just hop off and re-mount, or idle if you’re on a small wheel… we do not need that kind of hate from cars. I’d probably have said something similar.