Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Riding my G32 on the beach bike path, passed a middle-aged couple.
Lady: Hey, that’s nice!
Man: If I had a handlebar I could do that too!

(My uni has a handle.) I laughed out loud at that one!

Passing a woman on a hiking trail she says: “Wow! You’re doing everything in my life that I’m not.”

A drunk guy: “Heeey! You’ve lost two wheels!”

I upd’d because of a dog today, chasing me, barking and jumping up at me. The owner was very apologetic, I assured her I was OK and I said to her "It’s almost like your dog has never seen a unicyclist! ’

Funny thing was, she seemed oblivious to the uni - her response was ‘No, it’s not that, he’s the same with bikes too’!

I was riding around my neighbor this evening and a teenager walking his dog said, “You have my respect” as I was passing her.

Last night I was out on the best ride ever on my 29. I have been riding just enough lately to build up the endurance and strength to really start powering. Everything just clicked and the uni almost felt like it had its own motor.

Already on a high, I turned the corner into the start of one of my favourite climbs and there in the middle of the road was a group of four mid-teenage boys walking up the hill. I noticed one had a skateboard under his arm and another with a Razor scooter. Right, I thought.

As I came up to behind them, they noticed my lights and looked around. There is a shout like they were all one. “Watch out” … “It’s a unicycle” … “And he’s pumpin’”… “Yeah he’s pumpin’, man”… “He deserves a trophy”.

You bet I was pumpin’, already on a high, on my favourite hill, with them watching and shouting their appreciation. No way I was going to ruin it and I accelerated up that hill like never before until I was well out of their sight.

Well done OTM. Getting a compliment from a skate boarder is some achievement. :smiley:

Yea. Well done. That was a funny story:p

Skateboarders come in all varieties where I live. I have had the best and worst from them.

“F…k yeah.” Understated but clearly impressed.

“Lose the protective gear. I could do better.” Clearly prone to self-stimulation.:wink:

[QUOTE=OneTrackMind;

Understated but clearly impressed.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah! I occasionally get a discreet smile from skate boarders as I pass them by.

I guess they don’t want to spoil their “cool” image :sunglasses:

At my LBS today. Proprietors are a beautiful couple, well into retirement age, have had the shop from before anyone can remember and still riding. They have a unicycle on display just like the one I learnt on and no doubt it originally came from them.

I popped in looking for crank dust caps which you just can’t buy. They searched through a bag of salvaged caps for a pair and handed them to me.

They are always interested in how I am progressing on the uni.

Mrs LBS: “You know everyone talks about you.”

Me: “I’m riding a 29 inch now. Rode up Mooball Street this week.”

Mr LBS, with his jaw dropped: “Holy Mary Hill?” (It runs up past the Catholic School.)

Me: “Yeah.”

Mr LBS: “That is hard enough on a bike!”

Hey A**hole…

“Hey A**hole, it’s a red light”…from a cyclist as I rode by and through a red light because I can’t stop and restart so well.

Mybad…sorry for my poor representation of Unicyclists everywhere.

That’s… not something to be proud of.

At least california stop at the stop signs. If a light is red, just hop off and re-mount, or idle if you’re on a small wheel… we do not need that kind of hate from cars. I’d probably have said something similar.

Twasn’t quite as bad as it sounds. Was at a T, with no through traffic. Wasn’t dangerous.
The cyclist was a bit uptight.

I’ve had “Get off your fu…ing bike” while using a pedestrian crossing on the uni, which is legal in Australia because I am classified as a pedestrian. I am pretty sure it was the same driver another time who blatantly drove across the crossing right in front of me while I was on it. He would have hit me if I hadn’t stopped.

Pedestrians don’t have to obey Stop signs so I don’t stop at them.

Traffic lights are invariably on roads with marked lanes, where I am not allowed, so I have never encountered them.

Funny you said that. Today when I rode home, there was a guy with a dog and as soon as the dog saw me, it wouldn’t move anymore. It just sat there looking scared. Its owner had to drag it along. Very funny. I wanted to help the dog by saying the uni doesn’t bite.

This is my first week back in Holland and people here speak their mind more than in Denmark. Today while I was riding through the street, a guy said “That’s what happens when you forget to lock your bike…” :smiley: Hadn’t heard that one before.

That’s odd…

Around here, it’s the bicyclists who ride through stops and I’m the one who stops for every one of them.

Because bike theft is funny.

“Why are you holding your hand up?”

Turn signal.