Put yourself on the map!

You can store all the points in the database you like and it wouldn’t affect the speed of the map. Just push the relevant ones to Google when it comes to map rendering time. The auto-zoom is optional, you could hook into a service to pick up someone’s approximate location from their IP (hard, not very accurate) or just ask them for their address (better, Google’s own address-based geocoding system is very good).

Also, I believe Google limits the number of points drawn on the map to 100 by default.

I worked on a mapping application using Google Maps, it’s not really the kind of thing a non-programmer could do easily but it’s not rocket science. I’d volunteer to tackle it myself but I just don’t have enough free time at the moment (maybe in future though?)

Here’s the app I worked on:
http://www.coleman.eu/storefinder/

BTW, it only contains data for Europe as it’s their European site.

mowcius, see my example:

110686722523803178327.00048bf973df57a40ebf4

I haven’t bothered to create a USA map yet, as I have nothing to put on it, and as it’s a demo, I felt a little lazy. The UK one is linked and contains a few items itself. If you send me your google email addy, I’ll add you to the collaboration list of the main map.

That looks like a good plan. If google does limit it to about 100 items per map then we might have an issue though.

I will PM you

Mowcius

Had a quick look at this. Looks perfect. I am kind of a programmer (do some C++ on an arduino, a bit of HTML and some java) but it depends what it involved.

I think this would probably be the best option, keep the map clean and show people local to you.
If you are travelling then put in where you’re going and it’ll show you who’s closest to there…

Mowcius

I want to be on the map. It won’t let me. Perhaps somebody could give me more detailed info on how to put it on the map.

Click the map link at the top of the page,
Click ‘your entry’,
Move the map to roughly your position.
Success :slight_smile:

Seems easy. But those steps are not working on my computer

What’s it not doing/what does it get to?

Mowcius

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/VBGooglemap.php

That is the address of the MAP tab in case the link isn’t working. Above the map on the left there is a button that says “YOUR ENTRY”. Click on that and then navigate to your location and save your info.

If this isn’t working please be more specific about what it isn’t doing so that someone can throw you a rope.

To the folks trying to make a better map - Great! Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

Well I am kind of looking around for the best solution at the moment. I will keep looking into it and see where I can get in the next week.

What would be brilliant is an auto email notification to people a year after they posted up their position to ask if it remains the same and to make sure they are still active. After 2 emails with no response, the marker would be deleted.

Mowcius

What’s up with Mississippi, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Vermont? 4 states without any uncyclists?

Still trying to get on the map. Here is what I have done. 1. Log in 2. Click on Map—map of world appears 3. Click on your Entry–box appears with lat. and longitutde, marker text and update your info 4. I go through the different zoom levels until I locate my city, street and house area at zoom level 0. 5. I click on Update your info, then a redirect page comes up and then a map of the world again. 6. I check the map to see if I am on it, and I am not.
Please help, Thank you.

I’m afraid I’m not sure about that one.

Cool!

Seems like you are doing the right thing…I was just checking it out and since my info is already there I didn’t want to change it. I am trying to remember if you drag the red marker to a spot but I don’t think so. I think you just zoom, navigate, type a name in the ‘Text Marker’ and save the info. Have you tried it on another computer? I wish I had the answer :frowning:

Any villages without an idiot? :stuck_out_tongue:

JBAB: your marker is in the database. Maybe some refresh is needed after you add yourself:
lng="-119.23830986022949" lat=“35.78428567988377” title=“JBAB” text=“JBAB is here”
and I see your marker in Delano - is it right?

I am in Delano, the info is in the system because you found it. So thats good. But still no red marker yet. And yes I did try on another computer today but no luck yet.

I just updated my location for any local riders hoping to avoid me. :sunglasses:

See… I’m sorta nice.

There’s a few that I know of in all those states they just don’t frequent the forums(or the interwebs in general)

After a couple of attempts I finally managed to put my pin on the map. For me the trick was to use the coordinates from openstreetmap and copy them into the “map location” field on my profile.

@mowcius, have you had a look at openunicyclemap by Maksym? (Map)
I think the goal has to be to keep the number of maps low (two might already be a bit much) as parallel collections of data make everything more confusing.