Purchasing a brake kit, what all do I need? [solved!]

I jump between two methods. Sometimes I loosen the bolts, pull the brake (so that the caliper centers itself) and then tighten the bolts. Theoretically, this should align the brake very well, and with brand new pads a cleaned brake and relatively straight disk, it usually does.

But with slightly unevenly worn pads, maybe a slightly sticky piston and a slight ding in the disk, it really doesn’t work well. Then I just align the caliper by eye (using the slot in the caliper as a guide, not the pads)- apply the brake a bunch of time - spin the wheel - if it mostly spins free, but rubs on the disk in one spot, I try to true the disk a bit. If it rubs more than it’s free, I just try again to center it (with the cranks in a different position). Don’t forget to pull the brake lever a bunch of times after you have made an adjustment, the pistons are self adjusting, they need a bit to get “settled” into their spot.

Bending the disk by hand seems to work fine for me, although it’s obviously not the most precise method.

And as unprofessional as it sounds, brakes tend to be self clearancing, so if it’s really just a minor rub, sometimes just riding a few km and using the brake a few times will work that out.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I haven’t eliminated the small rub yet, but I did my first ride with it today and it was very nice. Learning curve doesn’t feel impossible so far, and it’s made the first few (fairly steep) hills much more energy efficient.

Still working on eliminating that small rub, and gonna shorten my break cable length with a kit soon.

1 Like