Post Your MUni here!

My new nimbus muni is 26" an I have the 150 cranks on it. They feel about perfect to me.

One of several I own. Lately I’m riding this Oregon quite a bit in the city, finding roots, man made rock gardens, stairs to ride up, and next, I’ll try riding in deep sand at the beach. :smiley:

root3.jpg

rooty1.jpg

drops.jpg

That larry is just gonna float in that sand.:smiley: Will probably be VERY hard still. Good luck. MAybe a video of you riding in the sand w/your whole stable of unis?

Yeah I’m putting together footage for a new viddy, mostly “Urban-Oregon” stuff. I might try setting up my UCC to track me as I ride through the sand. :slight_smile:

Any link for pedals?

HT Components makes the pedals that are re-branded by Deity, Nukeproof, and others.

Just finished the wheel tonight, decided to build the 26er first since I have been waiting on these disc hubs for six months already :roll_eyes:

Final tensioning on the 29er tomorrow AFTER going for a muni ride on the 26er :smiley:

Final 26 build list, the usual suspects, no suprises:

KH Frame 26" wide
KH Seat Post Forged
KH Freeride Seat 2010
NB Grab Handle, KH stiffener Plate
Tektro Aruiga 160mm Disc Brake, mineral oil
Nimbus Disc Hub 100mm
KH FR 47 mm 26" rim
14gs DT Swiss DB spoke, brass nips
Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.6 3C wire bead DH tire
Duro DH 26 x 3 tube
Moments 150mm
Nuke Proof Electron Pedals
Smiley Face Valve Cover, of course :wink:

And there’s the tire, well, I had been riding this muni as a guni, same tire model but in the kevlar beaded 2.4, also ride a kevlar beaded 2.4 on my 29er. So I played around on the wire beaded 2.6 and I gotta say that it is a whole lot more tire, fatter, wider, heavier, stiffer. Maybe it’ll do some breaking in, but it feels much beefier when hopping.

Too bad they didn’t just upgrade this tire with a kevlar bead or simply keep building it, but then there is the High Roller in a 2.5-2.7, so … if you can find one of these before they completely disappear, it’s a sweet tire for the deals I’ve seen it sold for; I got mine for $12 :stuck_out_tongue:

29er tomorrow…bed for now.

Just rebuilt my KH26 with the new nimbus disc hub.

IMG_0680.jpg

Thanks to all. New Nimbus Oracle 26" is my choice but it comes with 165s, so I just wanted to know if change original cranks for shorter ones. And it’s gonna be probably good idea.

165 is OK with a heavy 3" tire like a Duro but I would order it with shorter cranks if you plan on using another tire.

Also, specs:

Custom KH26

KH Frame 24" 2008 (Kris lowered the crown on his 24" in 2009 - the frame is the same size as his “short” 26" frame)
KH Seat Post Adjustable
KH Street Seat 2010
KH stiffener Plate and 2011 front bumper (I will probably put a T-bar on it - we’ll see)
Shimano Deore M575 160mm Disc Brake
Nimbus Disc Hub 100mm
KH FR 47 mm 26" rim
Wheelsmith spokes
Maxxis Ardent 26 x 2.4 lightweight
Drilled Moments 137mm
Odyssey JCPC pedals (limited edition green!)

Added the “Turtle’s T” KH T-Bar setup.

hey scott, could you already try the handle setup, how do you like it?

Turtle, I have not had a chance to go for a ride yet since it just rained and all the local trails are closed. (When you live in the middle of a city, there are many riders and few trails, so they have to be closed when they are wet.) I also noticed that I have my grip backwards and flipped down compared to your grip. After going for a ride with my way, I may try to change it around and see which way I like better.

Cheers,
Scott.

Here’s finaly a few pictures of my new geared wheel! I absolutely love it, riding Muni on that beast is just awesome.

Specs:
Modified Coker seat on UDC CF base.
normal KH seatpost
KH 2008 frame
KH Moment 150mm cranks
Echo TR pedals
KH 2007 24" rim
Nokian Gazzaloddi 3" tire
KH Shlumpf hub (new generation) (M0505)

I am so excited that I can finally post in this thread! My primary discipline (commuter/distance/touring) has been riding a 36er on sealed asphalt b*ke paths for the last two years and I feel like I’ve reached a pinnacle of sorts mastering the Schlumpf geared hub shifting technique. I run MagicShine lights so that I can ride at night. I’ve got iHome speakers cranking out the tunes (Pandora via iPhone) in my CamelBak. My pads (shin/knee/elbow/wrist) are neatly situated, my take-a-peek rear view mirror is mounted firmly to my helmet, and life is beautiful. I can really crank out the miles!

Now it’s time to try my hand at riding MUni on the countless miles of sustainable singletrack developed and maintained by the Louisville chapter of the Kentucky Mountainbke Association (KYMBA). I’ve studied the routes on group rides (I have a fairly decent Giant Butte bke). Not many flats here in the foothills. The elevation changes fairly drastically up and down ever 100 feet or so and there are roots everywhere! Needless to say, my first two MUni outings were a whole new experience. Pads all out of sorts, helmet cocked sideways, and what is this gritty substance all over me? Gasp, it’s dirt!

Thank goodness, I’m riding some of the best state-of-the-art equipment money can buy. First outing at Cherokee Park, I was able to ride 90% and walk 10% so I was pretty pleased with myself. Enough so that I decided my second outing would be at Waverly Park. Huge mistake and confidence destroyer riding 50% walking 50%. I’ve got one more spot to try but so far I like Cherokee the best.

Here is a picture of my 26" Nimbus (disc brake) Oracle. I got a Fusion Freeride seat and a red cover. I customized (narrowed) the KH-T-bar according to Kris’ recommendations. I switched the Venture2 cranks with a pair of 165/137 Moments I had on hand and I traded the surprisingly fun (on the first ride) 3" Duro for a 2.5" Maxxis HighRoller tire (which, I’m hoping was not my downfall on the second ride). Finally, I installed my freshly LBS refurbished SpeedPlay Drillium pedals which, when paired with my 5.10 Impact Mid shoes, are awesome!

If you’ve read this far, I need to take a minute to thank everyone on RSU who helped me make the decisions putting this thing together. I will have to say, MUni (in the right environment) is the most fun I’ve had on a unicycle and that includes speeding down the road on my 36er in high gear (though that is it’s own special kind of thrilling). God bless UDC!

As usual, Eric is spot on accurate with his advice. 165mm cranks felt perfect the little time that I had the 3" Duro installed. After I switched to the 2.5" Maxxis HighRoller (and lighter 1.2mm tube) I feel like I might be ready to try the 137mm hole. I will probably (near certain) purchase a set of 150/125s when Kris releases his new line of Moment cranks. Disclaimer: My primary discipline is riding distance on a 36er so I love spinning short (125/110) cranks.

Nice ride!

I’m thinking about possibly swapping out my 24x3 duro for something slightly thinner to save a bit of weight.

I’m liking the look of your bar setup although I’m still a little unsure about doing steep technical downhill where I’d normally hold the handle and could apply the brake with a finger, bars might make that a bit more tricky (made it more tricky on Roger’s 36" with disk I tried…)

Got my first Muni!
Haven’t been able to take it out on any trails yet but it feels great on the road. The 24" is taking some getting used to though.

Everything on it is pretty much stock Nimbus II except for the Quax lightweight cranks that I’m swapping out for some VentureIIs.

photo (1).jpg

Those Nimbus Oracles look great and have really got me thinking about another UNI purchase. That brake setup looks awesome, does it work well? Also, how does the High Roller compare to the Duro on the rouch technical stuff? I deal with a lot of exposed roots in my neck of the woods. I’d like to shed some rolling weight, but don’t want to get something that won’t perform on the rough single track.