Post Your GUni Here

Geared Giraffe

You lucky bastards with your schlumpf cokers…

Here’s a recent video I made with a custom built geared giraffe by Skippy (and it’s for sale). I think you rode it before, James.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iornMVAykGM

Yeah, skipii’s geared giraffe was mad fun to cruise around on. Definitely harder to ride than a schlumpf. One of these days I will make a youtube account so I can upload some vids I took with it as well.

That is an awsome giraffe :smiley: EDIT: thanks for the video

Time for a little update on my geared ones:

At Last charging gears off road is fun :smiley:

Tell me about it :smiley:

Great picture!

And nice tire too! I think it has become my favorite 26er tire.

How have I never posted in this thread??

I added a speed stripe to my G29er, hopefully it’ll make me go quicker!

My ever-changing road ride has (at least temporarily) gone geared!

I’m only borrowing the wheelset right now and it’s required some fettling to get right, but I think I’ve got it all sorted now.

I thought the tyre would be horrendous on road but despite being quite loud, it’s surprisingly good; Not too skittish and it handles camber really well in high and low gear.

Made an upgrade to the G29er… Replaced the D2 rim with a Light Bicycle carbon one. They also sent me some blade-shaped spokes which I thought would make lacing a pain, but they actually made some steps easier, so now I have an aero carbon unicycle :smiley:

Very sexy!
Still no brake?

He has two brakes, one for his right foot and one for his left!

I had a rim brake on the D2 rim, but this carbon rim has no braking surface so I had to take it off. I might put a disc on it (Got plenty of clearance to do so with a bit of grinding) but I’m pretty happy without, so might not bother and save myself the hassle :smiley:

Not a chance you’re stopping that thing quickly with 110mm cranks when at any reasonable cruising speed!

I can stop reasonably at ‘cruising speed’, it’s when you get to ‘racing speeds’ that it gets a bit dodgy. The lighter wheel stops even easier :smiley:

For me it’s just feeling confident that I can stop if something happens in front of me. Especially on a shared use path, if a child or dog or person ends up in front of me, stopping in more than about a meter is not really good enough. You can’t do that without a brake when your wheel circumference is multiple metres.

I probably wouldn’t be high gearing it (at least not at raggin’ it speed) in those situations anyway :smiley: I never actually learned to stop with the brake either, just slow down big descents.

But even out of gear, or going slowly, half a wheel rotation is not going to be enough to stop a 29" wheel.

Speaking of light wheels, how does that thing handle at speed? Despite the weight criticism that 36" wheels attract I find my 36" much less fatiguing and tedious to ride compared to my 26" due to the weight/momentum difference. It feels like I have to pay much more attention to my balance point on the 26".

A 29" guni certainly has appeal since it’s compact and removes the mounting challenge of a 36", but I always wondered if it would be more fatiguing and less forgiving due to the lighter wheel.

Here’s an interesting feedback seen on FB about a Schlumpf hub in a 32":

To be honest, I haven’t riden it a lot in the last months but it is indeed a big difference to g29 (which I rode for almost 10 years before the g32) as it is a lot calmer. I am convinced that it is the ideal wheel size for women because it doesn’t need as much strength as the g36 (and you don’t fall as high)

I’m not a woman so I can’t comment on that part, but I do find the G29 tiring as I need way more focus when on it.

I’ll have to agree with this pierrox. I have no experience with geared unis, but my 32 was so much more stable compared to my 29, I ended up selling the 29.