Post Your Current Projects Here

Ahhh never thought about weather as we rarely get anything too cold.

No Green D-brake?

The clamp came from tarty bikes, you could always file the lip off one and turn two into a double clamp. If the thread is the same you could screw in the levers off the QR into them as well. It would be a pricey clamp though :stuck_out_tongue:

They were out of green d’brakes. :frowning:

I’m happy with the Nimbus clamp, assuming it works as well as it looks like it will. Won’t take much paint to tone it down a bit.

So, in your review of the double quick release clamps, you said you’d been riding the last couple days. I’d love to see some pics of the new build, unless I have to wait until the snow melts to see it in person on a ride.

Not done yet, just put it together bare bones so far. Still waiting on the new tire, and need to install my brake, computer, etc. Got partway through grinding my Sinz cranks last night. Might unveil it by next weekend.

I’ll also have a spare 36er you can try. :slight_smile:

Would love to try the spare 36er. Will the new build use the purple pedals? That would be kinda cool in a “why does the Hulk wear purple pants?” kind of way.:smiley:

I decided to switch to green to match the hub. My son, who is into Minecraft,has named the new uni “The Creeper.” :slight_smile:

The purple pedals are going on the 29er. I’ll probably also paint the clamp to match. I will now call it “Purple Haze.” :sunglasses:

I started with a set of kiddy bike cranks http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/alloy-cotterless-crankset-with-40t-steel-1-8-inch-chainwheel-inc-guard-140-mm-cranks-prod4951/ No spider on the crank - the chainring attaches to the crank via a splined interface. I cut off the bit holding on the chainring and then cut/filed down the splined bit on the crank. Now I have a set of 140 square taper uni cranks which are a lot lighter than the steel ones UDC sell, and a lot cheaper than buying alu ones direct from Schlumpf (with the bonus that these have a straight profile which should make shifting easier).

Now fitted to my first generation Schlumpf and shifting is a lot easier than with the 152.5s it came with - I also much prefer spinning the slightly shorter cranks. They’re definitely less substantial than most uni cranks, but this is a road use only uni and I’m not all that heavy - can’t say I’ve noticed the flex.

PB251157resize.jpg

PB251158resize.jpg

PB251159resize.jpg

PC021161resize.jpg

Nice one

Nothing better than some DIY parts as well

Nice one

How much do they weigh?

carbon!

I am working on doing some custom rim strips that are light but strong. thinking carbon :sunglasses:

Custom rim strips? Like rime tape? Why would you make a carbon rim strip? Just use packing tape, it’s light and transparent so it looks nice also.

When I had a drilled rim, I used colored plastic tape (for looks) backed by Gorilla tape (for function).

It has to be strong though as these single walled rims have massive holes so even thick nylon tape really bulges and the holes are so wide there is not much rim on the edges so any stretch will risk the edge of the tape slipping past the edge of a cut out and popping the tyre

Exactly! I used a few different rim strips and all of them were to small and tape rips

My kiddy cranks? 332g

As for rim tape, I’ve currently got 3M fibre reinforced tape Packaging Tape | Tape Dispensers | Davpack in my 19er rim (though that hasn’t got big holes in it). The glass filaments mean it doesn’t stretch at all and nor does it rip, so it works really well as rim tape. It’s what was recommended by Stan for use with his original DIY tubeless conversions (before he started selling rim strips) - I got some for my first DIY tubeless conversion 10 years ago and have been using it ever since.

Packing tape works just fine, even on single walled drilled rims…

Ill try it next time. I got the stuff to do the carbon one so im still going to do it at some point

Sure, in the snow. Different situation if you leave your wheel in a hot car in the summer for a few hours.

Gorilla tape is practically bulletproof.

Customizing parts for the new 36er as I wait for the tire.

Yes, but that guy rides his bike only in the summer. Gorilla Tape sure is Bullet proof, but I was refering to knoxuni who wants a light rim tape. Gorilla tape is heavy, but it will never rip off as a rim tape. Packing tape is light, and really cheap, it lasts long also!