Post Your Current Projects Here

Jensen

Yes $15 at Jensen

That is a bargain ! However, I think Google hates me as I only find the 26in edition (like on Jenson for example).

How heavy is it ? How does it feel jumping around ?

Alright, took the 700c for itā€™s virgin ride today, the first real distance and climbing itā€™s seen so far. Itā€™s a ride that I did quite often on my 36er: ~15 miles, 3000 vertical. Pretty good grind up to the top thatā€™ll let you know when you get there!

Overall, the uni seems solid. No wheel issues, and the TRP is awesome. The disc is MUCH smoother than my rim brakes, I may even have to go to one on my Muni. I need to bring my bar ends in a bit to make braking a bit easier, and I need to add some air to my tire, but other than that it seems to be pretty much right where I want it.

Climbing was definitely easier on it, though I donā€™t really think I made better time. The change in wheelsize wasnā€™t lifechanging, but I do like it better. For the descent, I was able to switch to my 125 holes, and f-l-y down the mounain; pretty cool.

I ran into about 3" of snow on the closed section of road at the top that was pretty much one giant UPD for a mile or so, but Iā€™m gonna say that doesnā€™t count. :stuck_out_tongue:

Overall I think me and this uni will get along.

Project 32

Okay, so I picked up a Super Cruiser 32 off of Craigslist the other day. A pretty good deal at $100. Anyway, the plan is to have a uni, and an ultimate wheel out of it. The uni will be pretty straight forward except that I want to make the frame out of the existing Super Cruiser fork. For that I will need bearing caps, and maybe a tubing bender to straigten the blades. Curved fork blades could be alright though.

I had an idea to make an ultimate wheel hub that would be laced into the rim like a regular hub, only with extremely large flanges. That would hopefully make for a lighter wheel, and make it a bit more unique. I found a very small photo on the Bagley Ultimate Wheel page that is very close to what I had imagined.

I have been trying to think of something that could be used as a hub, but I havenā€™t come up with anything. Any ideas?

It might be cool to use a smaller rim as a hub. I donā€™t know if you could get one that would be strong enough though.

Thatā€™s a good idea. I wonder if thereā€™s a narrowish motocross rim that would work. I may head over the bike salvage yard this weekend.

I have considered making an UW with tandem cranks on a short spindle. You could have a disk (chainring) on both sides drilled out to become really large flanges.

Just one of my many ideas I have never done anything with.

An idea I hadnā€™t thought of. I havenā€™t given up on my original idea, and that little picture that I found is bugging me like an itch I canā€™t scratch.

The rim of a kidā€™s bike (18") might fit.

I donā€™t know if a bike rim would be strong enough to handle the pedaling pressure. I didnā€™t get to the motorcycle salvage yard this weekend with all of the holiday stuff going on. Maybe next weekend after it all settles down a bit. Anyway, I guess there are Pit Bike rims in the right diameters. I only hope they arenā€™t made too much lighter than regular MX rims.

Whatever I come up with I think I would like a pedal circle of around 300mmā€™s which would be the same as 150mm cranks. I have 140mm spacing on my 28" UW, and I like it.

If I can find something with deeper flanges it would be nice to have a couple of pedal mounts. Ideally 140, 150, 160 would be nice.

29er project

I decided to build a bit of a custom 29er for my daily commuter. My 24 muni is to small and my 36er is a bit much in traffic sometimes on my ride through downtown Seattle. I like them both but thought a 29er would be just right. Did some research and talked to Josh at UDC and this is what I have so far.

Velocity Blunt rim. (very light)
Schwalbe big apple 2.0 tire. (may try tubeless at some point)
Nimbus Oracle hub
KH seat post and handle bars
Nimbus gel seat

I had the wheel built at my LBS and he did a great job. Gotta order my frame, cranks and brake now that the holidays are over. Ride safely everyone.

Iā€™ve kind of finished with this project some time ago but I havenā€™t really taken it out for a a ride yet and I do want to add a few more finishing touches and add some dangling trinkets here and there.

Thought Iā€™d share some work in progress pics too. Most of the add-ons are plastic and my uni frame is alu so itā€™s all pretty lightweight.

1544358_10153619528040471_1306333198_n.jpg

That looks super steampunk cool!

You should try a 36" version, or an even bigger one with that Victorian high wheel feel! That would be super-duper cool.

Thanks! I donā€™t have a 36", just a 29" but Iā€™m using that for actual crash-and-bash riding. I figured you canā€™t really do much with a pimped up uni except to be geekier than usual on the streets.

Also, I do travel with my other unis so I donā€™t think the add-ons would stand the handling.

Very imaginative, congrats! I especially like the tail lights.

Unbike.

For me it would be called a Death Machine

:slight_smile: Nah, Iā€™m sure youā€™d figure it out quicker than I could. Itā€™s way ahead of my abilities right now, but the last parts I needed got here so I built it up and itā€™ll be ready when I am.

It certainly canā€™t be as bad as a BC wheel. Mounting it is easy with the wheel in the grass where it canā€™t roll. You can hold it up with the bar (a decapitated 300mm x 22.2 steel seatpost actually) and step on one foot at a time. And the bar seems to works well enough as a seat, so wheel walking should be like on a standard unicycle except without the spinning cranks. Thatā€™s supposing I ever learn how to wheel walk!

Is this intended to be a variation on a bc wheel to be ridden or is it purely aesthetic?

Edit: I see we posted at the same time, never mind

Do you have details on how you did this? It looks great! Iā€™ve been wanting something similar except with a saddle instead on handle bars and a disc brake.