Post Your Current Projects Here

That’s a great project Saskatchewanian ! For sure, it has a lot of potential for smooth travel anywhere.

However, 2h to get it back together with a wheel build and truing is not a small feature, it requires some wheel build expertise. I can build a wheel if I get to my notes but am not sure if I can true it properly, let alone under 2h only with a frame and zipties :stuck_out_tongue:

This seems great! I am actually tempted but would hate to have to rebuild the wheel every time. Still for a trip like yours, this seems perfect. Have a great time in Uzbekistan (boy do I wish I was going) and Australia and I’ll see you in Düsseldorf.

—Nathan

I decided to lace up a 700c road wheel for myself, and I bought one of those close-out Qu-Ax frames from Goudurix for it. But then I decided based on color scheme and nothing else that the wheel from my 26" muni looked better in that frame and the 700c wheel looked better in the 26" chrome Nimbus frame. There’s little difference in dimensions between the frames. The Magura rim brake mounts are in the wrong place on both but I’m not good enough to need brakes yet anyway.

The 26" muni has an older KH/Onza splined hub, currently with a Maxxis Hookworm.

The 700c has a 37 mm Panaracer Pasela on a Sun Ringle Rhyno Lite rim with an eBay “Schwinn Unicycle 36 Hole Square Taper” hub, basic United 140mm cranks, and Twisted PC pedals. All cheap and cheerful but so far I like riding it a lot.

First build

Always wanted to learn to ride a unicycle and always loved to build things. Seen other people on here over 50 learning so I thought what the heck. I am going to try and build my wheel ( Maybe) I need to measure (just got rim today) and order spokes. Calculators seem to very so this may take me awhile. Also need to decide on a seat and a seat post. This is what I have so far.
Jack

Got my new rim for my winter project! I can’t wait to make my round crown aluminum frame now :wink:

P.S.: Will have pictures of the process as soon as I get the jig and the tubing! :smiley:

36" freewheel unicycle

Following Killian’s lead I converted my 36" fixed wheel unicycle to a freewheel unicycle using the Nimbus Drift Trike hub. My first impressions are that the only way I can free mount it with my leg height is using the side mount which will take a fair amount of practice, that it’s generally easier to balance on than smaller freewheels, and I’ll need more practice with the brake.

Looks like you’re in for some fun there, Jack! It’ll be a kick to go riding on a wheel that you bulit yourself.

I was just reading through some older messages and read one along the lines of “most people on this site would rather be riding than turning wrenches.” That’s probably true statistically but the tinkering minority of us enjoy both, and folks here have come up with some impressive and innovative stuff. And to be frank about it, I’m good for about an hour of hard riding and then I need find some other way to spend my time while I recover.

Take your time, measure very carefully, and check your answer against as many sources as you can. It’s always a little hairy putting in that order for spokes, but so far I’ve always gotten the length right. Fingers crossed for you. :slight_smile:

That’s either a very narrow phone or a very wide rim!

Nice, I can’t wait to see what you do with it…

I might have just spent a grand on my dream uni…

I also might be a liar…

Or I might not…

:wink: :sunglasses: :thinking:

it’s not really a project but i spray painted my peddles red on my KH 19" :slight_smile:

I also did a gradient effect on my spare cranks:)

They look good now but I really doubt it will last.

Surly Rolling Darryl at 82mm wide :wink:

Post pictures! I know it’s done

The wheel is built, and it’s wwaaaaayyyy bigger than what I thought it would be haha! It’ll be good for snow! I still dont have the right frame. I have my plan on paper, I found my tubing, all I need is the rest of my jig and finding how/where to order my tubing!

It will be awesome. :slight_smile:

Dream Uni Day 1:

Figured this is as good a place as any to write about my latest build. For those who don’t know, I’m 18 and have only recently had a real job (devoted my time to football throughout high school). Up until now, I’ve had to build my uni’s on a budget, and would sacrifice things that I wanted but didn’t need.

Now that I have had a job for a while, I got a loan, and decided to build my no-holes-barred dream uni. If I wanted to have it, I got it on this uni. Right down to the valve caps (more on that later). It’s still not super crazy expensive, but it’s exactly how I want it. No corners cut for once.

Today I got all of my boxes in. Over the next week or two, I’ll start building it up and maybe throw a picture or two up.

Pretty excited over here… :roll_eyes:

And the Marshall Mathers LP II dropped today, what else could a guy want?

Sounds interesting. Did you go with a geared hub?

A schlumpf is one thing I opted not to do. I thought about it, but haven’t been able to try one yet, and I’m not sure how much I’d actually use it.

Do you have the tyre allready on the rim?
And what tyre do you have?
And how wide is the wheel - how much clearance will you need in the frame?

Built my wheel up today. Opted for black nipples, and damn it, they’re all scuffed up already from tensioning my wheel.

Oh well. It still looks ‘kind of’ cool. I guess it’ll never be perfect. :o