Post Your 36er Here

Cranks

Hey David,

I am running single hole 137mm Moments on my guni now. In the past I have run both 150’s and 125’s on the g36. I felt the 150’s were too long, and the 125’s were way too short, so settled on 137mm’s. So far, so good (after about 200km in the last 2 weeks).

I used to run 114’s on my old single speed 36er, and I still love the feel of a single speed 36er with short cranks. One day I’ll get another 36er with short cranks for my stable to compliment the g36.

When my hub was in my 26" (for ~18 months) I ran 125mm cranks, so I am used to spinning shorter cranks in high gear. That said, it is a little scary trying to stop the g36er quickly without a brake (magura from the 36er is currently on another toy), but I don’t have to slow down suddenly too often on the routes I am currently riding. If I’m happy with the 137’s by the time the KH disc setup comes out, I’ll upgrade from the magura to the disc setup.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the better weather over here and riding my 29er and g36 on alternating days. It’s nice to be able to get outside without turning into an icicle! :wink:

Cheers,

Dmac :slight_smile:

here is my KH36
stock KH36 apart from:
-foss tube
-100mm, 0 Q factor Qu-Ax cranks
-nimbus shadow handle
-magura HS33

P1010006.jpg

P1010005 copy.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010002.jpg

piranhamatt, 20 mph?! thats pretty awesome. i cant wait till i get my first 36er on Monday or tuesday.

Modded Handlebar

first ride…

36 inch 3-2012 a.jpg

36 inch 3-2012 c.jpg

i have now pushed that up to 21.05mph! having super short cranks has helped me a lot with speed

what do people think of using aero bars on the 36er? do they make it comfier for riding distance?

missing the 2nd wheel…

Here is my humble contribution :slight_smile:
Thank you everyone who helped me out with my questions!

Built for a shorty, I am 162cm tall.
I used triple magnets for the cycle computer. Don’t really need to, but the inner nerd in me kept saying “Three times faster speed update!!” lol.

hi, i have had that idea for quite a while now, as it takes a while for the computer to work out a speed with 1 magnet, i never did because i wasn’t quite shore how to re configure the computer to still give the right speed, did you just divide the circumference by 3? thanks.

Yes, that is correct :slight_smile:

Traditionally,
1 magnet = 1 revolution

But if
3 magnets = 1 revolution
1 magnet = 1/3 revolution.

Dutch championship 10 km race

picture of me riding my 36 inch during the dutch championships 10 km. training for unicon this summer;)

What seat do you ride on?

Where did you get that uni?

I ride a bicycle seat, much better then unicycle seats;)

The frame construction is home made 3 years ago now i think. I designed the frame myself, its made on a cnc mill. There where a couple of pictures in a other threat but they are offline now i think.

My new Titan!

Great ride. Got a friction burn on my pointer finger from somewhere but I’m not blaming the Uni.
My fleet is complete.

titan1a.jpg

Your fleet is NEVER complete.

Wow! I’ve never heard of a bicycle seat! Is it slotted? Padded? It looks lots of your weight can be forward onto your hands, yes?

yes i forward weight to my hands and this is one big plus because on unicycle seats all your weight is still on the saddle even when using other handlebars.

its just a normal mountainbike bicycle seat;)

My current rides

My ‘old-faithful’ N36 on the towpath and the latest incarnation of my KH36. Taken off the brake and running with the bent version of the Shadow handle that enables me to get down over the front. Nimbus Equinox hub is pretty light with plastic pedals fixed to 114 Venture2 cranks. Runs with a Foss tube at 50psi. One concession is the mudguard (fender) because here in rainy Wales it does keep the water off my back and my seat.

uni2.jpg

uni.jpg

Disc KH schlumpf

Hi all,

I have been busy upgrading my 36er schlumpf. Gone is the triton 36er frame (will be used for another project, pending the release of the new 36er tyre), now replaced with a KH disc mount frame. I also upgraded cranks to 110/137mm spirit cranks (only using 137mm hole for guni riding) and switched the magura MT2 with 180mm rotor off my 29er oracle wheelset onto this beast.

First impressions are good, braking is a lot smoother than the old magura rim brake. Shifting took a little adjusting to the new crank design, but it now feels more natural (i’m a heel shifter, not an ankle shifter). It’s a little strange that the crank mounted disc means you can feel the slop in the schlumpf, but it’s only when I was testing the wheel, not actually riding it, that I felt it when the brake was locked.

Going to take it for a proper spin tomorrow if I get a chance, and will report back with further impressions.

Next is some tinkering with my 29er oracle setup, upgrading the brake and frame. Fun times!

Cheers,

Dmac

36er.jpg

brake.jpg

So I’m not crazy for thinking I can master shorter (moving from 150mm to 137mm) cranks for geared Cokering? I loved spinning shorter (125/110’s) cranks on my fixed Impulse. I switched to 150mm to “learn how to Schlumpf” but my size 10 FiveTen’s barely reach the button (I too am a heel shifter) and I have to ride on my toes. That, not speed, is my reason for wanting 137s. Then again, the spirit cranks are “designed to make shifting easier” so I might be setting myself for some accidental (hopefully up) shifts.

That never occurred to me but I think I understand what Schlumpf slop would feel like on a disc. I’m sticking with Magura rim brakes on my geared 36er. Keep it simple down there.

Dmac: Uni-smut much? Seriously, that thing looks so awesome! Seeing yours is getting me super pumped for my new KH 36er! Looking forward to your ride report!

-Michael