Post Your 36er Here

@ notsoyoungone- that is the same handle bar solution I have on my geared Muni and I love it. Just a few things you might like to consider

1. Cut down the seat tube on your handle so that you can push the seat tube further on to the brake tube of the rail adapter. This way the prongs of the frame sit a little closer in to the saddle and you have a good spot to grip very close to the saddle on either side.

2. I like to use varying grip positions on the prongs for different types of terrain (climbing and tech descents hands are close in, and hands are out on the ends for powering through fire roads). I like the cover the entire length of the handle in something grippy and comfortable (not just the ends as you have currently). My cheapo solution is to cut up an old inner tube and wrap it around the handle (frame in this case!) legs all along its length. Just like bar tape but free!

Mark

Hereā€™s my 36er and itā€™s for sale:

This is my 36"er. Itā€™s probably 5 years old now and hasnā€™t seen much use for the last 4. It doesnā€™t even have a handlebar for brake. Itā€™s all standard parts from UDC but with custom powder coated the rim, hub and frame and non standard cranks.

I havenā€™t ridden it for a couple of years but I reckon itā€™s probably quite heavy and unwieldy compared to newer ones. I get very over protective of the wheel. I donā€™t think I could bring myself to ride it off road for fear of bending it! Iā€™m thinking of putting a lighter inner tube in but canā€™t think of any other ways of making it lighter for cheap.

twerpy: Is that a recent picture? Havenā€™t heard anything from Richard ā€œLooseMooseā€ Lewis for ages - thought heā€™d given up riding.

Rob

No, itā€™s not a recent picture. Itā€™s about 4 years old.

Same Frame

Hi Twerpy. That frame is the same as the one I just bought from UDC in January this year. They call it the Titan now, I donā€™t know what they used to call it. They only sell it in chrome. See the photo in post #378 (with the yellow saddle, just 3 posts above your photo).

I am not an avid rider of the big wheel, but the weight doesnā€™t bother me. There are aluminum frames (Kris Holm, new Coker Big One), and there are lighter wheel set ups available, but to me the cost is not worth it unless I start riding a lot more.

As for the wheel, I think you would have a hard time damaging it riding off-road unless you are doing BIG drops. I love the Red rim! :smiley:

My 36er got a make-over! It is now my ā€œprimaryā€ unicycle :slight_smile:

Nimbus blue frame
125mm Nimbus Venture cranks
Steel rim
KH 2011 Street saddle
T7 handlebar w/ two sets of bar ends
Coker button tread tire
Odyssey PC pedals

Iā€™d like to upgrade to an aluminum rim eventually.

Smoooooth

I just bought this nimbus and have only managed to ride it around a tennis court a few times. I have been working on the free mount without much success. It has a disc brake although it is not hooked up to a handle just a tensioner. If I ever get good enough to ride on my road I will need it. I live about 1000 feet above Boulder, CO.

36 uni 2.bmp (198 KB)

MShooter, if I can figure out both the freemount and how to ride one so can you :slight_smile: If you are smart you will be more patient than me and not try to ride fast for a long time! If you havenā€™t already, check out the ā€œLearning the 36 Inch Wheelā€ thread here on the RSU Forum.
Enjoy! BTW, that is a nice unicycle :smiley:

Thanks NotSoYoungOne. I am taking it slowly. 20 minutes sessions and never too fast so that I can bail somewhat gracefully! It seems like more of the 36ā€™ers are not so young. Is that true, and if so why?

Awesome Mountain Shooter! An external disc with a tensioner! Tell us more about the set up and how it works. Youā€™re proving an exteral disc has appeal, function and performance enhancement. IS that a Shimano Crankset, 5 bolt? Purchased from a fellow forum participant? I like it!

Here is mine with guitar shaped pedals:

DSCF9388.jpg

I think cruising on big wheels is great for any age. Compared to trials, street, muni etc, itā€™s easier on the body. I got my first 36 for my 40th birthday, 12 years ago. Since that time Iā€™ve ridden over 12000 miles ungeared, then at age 49, switched to a geared 36 which I have well over 3000 miles on. I plan to be riding that uni for years to come.

I think cost is a barrier. I got my first 36 for my daily school commute when I was 15, largely inspired by reading discussions about 36ers on this forum. I think if you looked at rider distribution within the 36er crowd by age, youā€™d probably find something comparable to the distribution of say road bikes. But then thereā€™s a ton of street, trials, muni people as well, and I think the younger crowd dominates there. Just my impression, based on not much.

Iā€™ve had it since last Christmas, I just never decided to post it. Nimbus stealth 36er with disc brake. KH 110/125 moments, odyssey twisted pc pedals, esi chunky grips and some computerā€¦ This unicycle is, without a doubt, the best thing since sliced bread, only better. (The colors donā€™t match very well, but iā€™m not concerned about that :D)

This is from 2007, when I was still riding my UDC brand ā€œradialā€ 36er, with a T-7. Got a lot of miles out of it and the tubular shaped, high profile ā€œairfoilā€ rim (not square) was strong enough for sizable drops.

Youtube had muted the original video, so all the audio was also lost. I found the raw footage and so I re-edited it with restored sound and improved video quality. Watch for the bit at the end, ā€œwill unicycle for foodā€. :stuck_out_tongue:

My first 36

This is my new Kh36, with T- bar and my old magura brake, KH 125/150 moments and foss tube.
I Love it!! :slight_smile:

monociclo36.jpg

looking good!

Coker Green V2

This is the Coker V2 I received in November. I still havenā€™t installed the brake system yet. Iā€™m still learning to tame the Green Beast! Itā€™s great fun and super smooth.

Green_Coker_V2.JPG

beauty ā€œgreen machineā€ :smiley: